PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather gloves (below 40)

rwsaunders
01-17-2008, 09:11 PM
I sold a pair of PI Amfibs as they were too large for me. However, they were exceptionally warm (into the teens)....too warm above 40 deg. Any faves out there or should I stick with the PI's? Some have recommended the PI Gavia's and Descente's Cold Out.

Thanks

saab2000
01-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Keep the head warm and the fingers and toes are a lot easier to keep warm. Honest.

I ride with the buds in St. Paul in the 20s and the secret to a 3-hour ride in that weather is keeping the head warm. The rest will come. With that said, I use to some German Höckle gloves and Assos shoe covers which are nearly useless.

You lose more heat through your head than anywhere else. Keep that warm (and the core of course) and the rest takes care of itself.

xjoex
01-17-2008, 09:33 PM
I like the craft lobster claws. They run a little small though. Warmer than the pearls.

When its less than 25 out I use a REI mountaineering mittens. My hands get cold, what can I say...

-Joe

saab2000
01-17-2008, 09:50 PM
I like the craft lobster claws. They run a little small though. Warmer than the pearls.

When its less than 25 out I use a REI mountaineering mittens. My hands get cold, what can I say...

-Joe

Well, put a cap on. And a balaclava over the cap. And some sunglasses (oakleys) because your eyes WILL water and freeze without them.

Riding sucks in weather like that. Until you get home and are very glad you did it. Better than the trainer, right? Thought so.

rbtmcardle
01-17-2008, 09:52 PM
I don't recommend the Gavia's, not warm at all for me, I ride with Amfib below 45.

chuckred
01-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Obviously a range of tolerance for when people's hands get cold. Keeping the head and core warm as mentioned is a critical first step.

For me, rather than going to heavy gloves unless it's less than 20, I've found that using lighter long finger gloves plus adding a thin wind proof outer shell over them is about perfect. Plus, easy to adjust temperature. My wind proof shells are the lobster style (3 finger) and add just the right amount of extra warmth...

TimD
01-18-2008, 07:27 AM
Tough problem, almost as tough as feet... : :( :

I find older AmFibs (not lobstah) good to about 30 deg. F. for about 90 minutes. A pair of thin glove liners underneath will extend the comfort range downward by 5 to 10 degrees for the same duration.

Longer and/or colder and I'm wearing Patagucci ski / snowboard gloves, which are good to my current personal limit (somewhere around 10 degrees F. for anything longer than a couple of miles).

Some of my crew wear North Face down mountaineering mittens. This stuff makes is really tough to operate an STI/Ergo shifter so single-speeds / fixed gears are sort of assumed.

I tried the lobstahs but couldn't get used to the combined fingers, so I gave them to a buddy.

Let us know what works for you...

bobscott
01-18-2008, 07:28 AM
I have pairs of both the Amphibs and Lobster Mits. The PI Lobster Mits are far warmer and both have very similar dexterity. I add liners and am comfortable into the high single digits. The Lobster Mits also seem to have a wide temperature comfort range, if in doubt I go with them and have seldom been hot in them.
I like the Amphibs and use them as gloves for cold weather but the Lobster Mits are my go to gloves for cold weather cycling.
bobscott

znfdl
01-18-2008, 08:40 AM
Goretex mitten shells with a light polar fleece glove keeps me warm till about 10F. Heavier polar fleece for colder days.