PDA

View Full Version : So why can't more of us be like dbrk?

Sandy
01-17-2008, 06:53 PM
Why can't more of us be like dbrk? I am not talking about intelligence- we all know that he is clearly an exceedingly intelligent person. Not talking about vocabulary, which we all know is vast. Nor about his knowledge of the history of cycling, fit, bicycle mechanics, componentry,.... Clearly that is superior. Not even discussing his wonderful manner of articulating his vast cycling knowledge in a precise, clear, helpful, friendly, direct, and most enjoyable to read manner.

Why can't more of us be like dbrk in how he always is sensitive to others in how he says what he says? No post is ever given in a derogatory, condescending, arrogant, I know it all, insensitive, non-caring manner. He communicates his vast knowledge in a manner that generates warmth and helpfulness, never ridiculing or intentionally offending anyone-ever. He has the ability to be direct in what he says but it is always said with dignity, humility, and feelings for those who might read and relate to it.

Most of us who post here do an exemplary job in being sensitive to others as we post, but some do not. I wish we all were more like dbrk.

Smiley posted a photo of my new all steel Coeur D' Acier recently. I know that dbrk likes larger/taller bikes, horizontal tt, little if no spacers, and little if no additional ht extension. My bike has a 2 degree slope, an additional 2.4 cm ht extension, and 3 cm of spacers under the stem (to be decreased). dbrk's bikes would never look like mine. But dbrk only made nice comments about the bike and never even mentioned the ht, spacers, tt, and size of the bike. Typical type of a dbrk response.

We are fortunate to have dbrk here for may reasons.

Sandy

djg
01-17-2008, 06:55 PM
It's called "regression to the mean," my friend. Most of us had intelligent, decent, sensitive parents. Things tend to slide a bit across the generations.

Fixed
01-17-2008, 06:56 PM
bro he is the teacher we are the students
cheers :beer: imho

shinomaster
01-17-2008, 07:01 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=21164&highlight=pretzel

Sandy
01-17-2008, 07:03 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=21164&highlight=pretzel

You got that right. I am sure that he can make himself look like a pretzel if he wants. All I can do is eat a lot of pretzels. :)

S Shaped Sandy

mschol17
01-17-2008, 07:18 PM
Sandy speaks the truth

Ti Designs
01-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Why can't more of us be like dbrk in how he always is sensitive to others in how he says what he says? No post is ever given in a derogatory, condescending, arrogant, I know it all, insensitive, non-caring manner. He communicates his vast knowledge in a manner that generates warmth and helpfulness, never ridiculing or intentionally offending anyone-ever. He has the ability to be direct in what he says but it is always said with dignity, humility, and feelings for those who might read and relate to it.

It all comes down to statistics and this thing called the bell curve. One one end, with the curve almost at the horizontal axis you have dbrk. At the center you have most of the people posting on this forum, good intentions, moderate proof reading skills. I hang out at the other end of the curve.

If you set the bar too high everyone else just goes home...

roman meal
01-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Why can't more of us be like dbrk?

Sandy

because I believe dbrk doesn't suffer from a malignant form of narcissism.

e-RICHIE
01-17-2008, 08:18 PM
because I believe dbrk doesn't suffer from a malignant form of narcissism.
[x] sufferer from a malignant form of narcissism atmo.

Satellite
01-17-2008, 08:18 PM
There is only one dbrk.

swoop
01-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Most of us who post here do an exemplary job in being sensitive to others as we post, but some do not. I wish we all were more like dbrk.
Sandy

passive aggressive post of the month!
:banana: :beer:
~papotm~

enjoy!

i do agree dbrk is sweetness! namaste!

PacNW2Ford
01-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Some people just enjoy being mean, I don't know why. I don't think they know either.

Sandy
01-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Some people just enjoy being mean, I don't know why. I don't think they know either.

Don't know why they enjoy being mean or that they are mean?

Sandy

MarleyMon
01-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Isn't it called ShatOnFreud? :rolleyes:

I get the impression dbrk has developed compassion as a habit.

eddief
01-17-2008, 09:21 PM
there would not be enough bikes for the rest of us to ride. I would never vote for or trust someone with so many bikes "in their closet."

jerk
01-17-2008, 09:24 PM
dbrk is a pal- in real life and the interweb. still doesnt mean I want to be the guy. dont be more like someone else, its creepy, weird and connotes a narcisism mutated into illness. be yourself, you're never going to be successful, happy, healthy or wise by pretending (in the real meaning of striving toward imitation) to be someone else. we all got Shiite we re good at and we all suck balls at some other things
anyway my free advice dont be dbrk:
be a man, be yourself.

jerk

Louis
01-17-2008, 09:28 PM
variety is one of the spices of life

swoop
01-17-2008, 09:28 PM
edges are happiness.

e-RICHIE
01-17-2008, 09:30 PM
ya want the chrome ya gotta pay for the chromo atmo.

shinomaster
01-17-2008, 09:37 PM
dbrk is a pal- in real life and the interweb. still doesnt mean I want to be the guy. dont be more like someone else, its creepy, weird and connotes a narcisism mutated into illness. be yourself, you're never going to be successful, happy, healthy or wise by pretending (in the real meaning of striving toward imitation) to be someone else. we all got Shiite we re good at and we all suck balls at some other things
be a man, be yourself.

jerk

POTM

roman meal
01-17-2008, 09:37 PM

Ahneida Ride
01-17-2008, 09:44 PM
Dbrk PhB

Doctor of Bikeology ....

swoop
i wanna be like a spicy tuna roll.

roman meal

shinomaster

Cant you find one at the UCI track meet?

roman meal
01-17-2008, 09:47 PM

swoop
01-17-2008, 10:04 PM
i was at this sushi place in the valley.. not an english speaking place.. they spoke sushi.
on the board in handwriting it said sea red bass. so i kept ordering the sea red bass and the waitress just gave me the stink eye and didn't move. i wanted the effing sea red bass.... damnit.
finally my friend said.. dude... seared bass you a88hole.

shinomaster
01-17-2008, 10:09 PM
i was at this sushi place in the valley.. not an english speaking place.. they spoke sushi.
on the board in handwriting it said sea red bass. so i kept ordering the sea red bass and the waitress just gave me the stink eye and didn't move. i wanted the effing sea red bass.... damnit.
finally my friend said.. dude... seared bass you a88hole.

You made that up, no way.

swoop
01-17-2008, 10:12 PM
You made that up, no way.

every word 100% true.

roman meal
01-17-2008, 10:12 PM

roman meal
01-17-2008, 10:20 PM

swoop
01-17-2008, 10:24 PM
my other car is dbrk.

confente
01-17-2008, 10:27 PM
To know know know him
Is to love love love him
Just to see him smile
Makes my life worthwhile
To know know know him
Is to love love love him
And I do

shinomaster
01-17-2008, 10:53 PM

DBRK Is a Mason?

PacNW2Ford
01-17-2008, 11:04 PM
Don't know why they enjoy being mean or that they are mean?

Sandy

Why they enjoy being mean. But now that you mention it, maybe the latter too.

Louis
01-17-2008, 11:14 PM
DBRK Is a Mason?

Yes! Well, that's the sort of blinkered philistine pig ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage. You sit there on your loathsome spotty behinds squeezing blackheads, not caring a tinker's cuss for the struggling artist, you excrement. You whining hypocritical toadies with your colour TV sets and your Tony Jacklin golf clubs and your bleeding masonic secret handshakes. You wouldn't let me join, would you, you blackballing bastards. Well I wouldn't become a Freemason now if you went down on your lousy stinking knees and begged me.

Sandy
01-18-2008, 12:26 AM
be a man, be yourself.

jerk

Of course be yourself. I certainly am not suggesting being anyone but yourself. Precisely as you said, we all are good at some things and not so good at others. We can strive to be what we decide we want to be and what changes within ourselves we care to make. The point I was making was that with all of the abilities and cycling knowledge dbrk apparently has, he always communicates such with humility, warmth, and sensitivity to fellow readers and posters, never communicating in an intentional hurtful manner. I believe that is something worth striving for. I said nothing more and nothing less, I think.

Sandy

Ray
01-18-2008, 02:27 AM
be a man, be yourself.

jerk
Reminds me of an interview I once read with Paul Simon (the musician, not the old dead politician). He said that seeing Elvis in his youth was a life-changing experience. But not in the way you'd think. Most people who saw Elvis thought "I could do that" and went out and tried to become the second best rock and roller on earth. And most failed quite miserably. But Paul Simon said he immediately realized that he could NEVER be anything like Elvis - he could just never pull it off. So he figured he better figure out how to be the best little semi-neurotic New York singer song-writer he could be. Because that's what he COULD be. And he did OK with that approach. And the world has one less really horrible Elvis imitator to deal with, so we should be thankful on a couple of levels.

I think Douglas is one of the great individuals I've ever had the pleasure to know. Slightly more perfect than most of us in all the ways Sandy mentioned and more. But I could no more aspire towards his way of being than I could be Keith Richards (who I REALLY thought I wanted to be once - god would THAT have been a tragic mess). So I'll just muddle along and do yoga only 20 minutes three times per week and own only four bikes, and will be a transportation planner rather than a professor of religion at a major university. Hey, its what I can pull off and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Nonetheless, I try not to be an a$$hole any more than is absolutely necessary, which I think was Sandy's main point and we can all get behind that. I think I get better at that as I get older, but I'm likely the least able to know when I am one...

-Ray

Sandy
01-18-2008, 05:06 AM
Reminds me of an interview I once read with Paul Simon (the musician, not the old dead politician). He said that seeing Elvis in his youth was a life-changing experience. But not in the way you'd think. Most people who saw Elvis thought "I could do that" and went out and tried to become the second best rock and roller on earth. And most failed quite miserably. But Paul Simon said he immediately realized that he could NEVER be anything like Elvis - he could just never pull it off. So he figured he better figure out how to be the best little semi-neurotic New York singer song-writer he could be. Because that's what he COULD be. And he did OK with that approach. And the world has one less really horrible Elvis imitator to deal with, so we should be thankful on a couple of levels.

I think Douglas is one of the great individuals I've ever had the pleasure to know. Slightly more perfect than most of us in all the ways Sandy mentioned and more. But I could no more aspire towards his way of being than I could be Keith Richards (who I REALLY thought I wanted to be once - god would THAT have been a tragic mess). So I'll just muddle along and do yoga only 20 minutes three times per week and own only four bikes, and will be a transportation planner rather than a professor of religion at a major university. Hey, its what I can pull off and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Nonetheless, I try not to be an a$$hole any more than is absolutely necessary, which I think was Sandy's main point and we can all get behind that. I think I get better at that as I get older, but I'm likely the least able to know when I am one...

-Ray

You got it. All I was saying was that I think dbrk posts in a most civilized and sensitive manner even with his undoubtedly superior grasp of cycling. It would be nice if all of us posted like that. I clearly did not say that anyone should try to be like him in any other way.

Sandy

davids
01-18-2008, 07:10 AM
...interesting Paul Simon interview...Very cool. That was pretty much the point of punk rock, at least for the first few weeks. Be yourself, do it yourself. ...then everyone tried to be like the first guys. And you end up with a whole bunch of guys who look like pineapples in leather jackets.

Not that I'm saying dbrk looks like a pineapple, OK?

e-RICHIE
01-18-2008, 07:15 AM
...then everyone tried to be like the first guys. And you end up with
a whole bunch of guys who look like pineapples in leather jackets.

lolmo atmo.

J.Greene
01-18-2008, 08:18 AM
You got it. All I was saying was that I think dbrk posts in a most civilized and sensitive manner even with his undoubtedly superior grasp of cycling. It would be nice if all of us posted like that.
Sandy

I like the guy. The time we met in person he was more than gracious, extending an offer that would be hard to refuse by anyone. But if we all sounded like him this place would be a bit boring. I don't think we should turn the pit bulls of the forum into Basenji's (I'm not calling DBRK a Basenji ).

I like pit bulls. They can be a bit dangerous when acting on impulse, but they have personality.

JG

Too Tall
01-18-2008, 08:37 AM
Of course be yourself. I certainly am not suggesting being anyone but yourself. Precisely as you said, we all are good at some things and not so good at others. We can strive to be what we decide we want to be and what changes within ourselves we care to make. The point I was making was that with all of the abilities and cycling knowledge dbrk apparently has, he always communicates such with humility, warmth, and sensitivity to fellow readers and posters, never communicating in an intentional hurtful manner. I believe that is something worth striving for. I said nothing more and nothing less, I think.

Sandy
I convey my love for Sandy by calling him silly names. If my guy friends stopped greeting me with insults to manhood and momma jokes I'd think we were losing touch. How you wish to receive this discourse is entirely up to you and the point(s) all of us make me thinks are rarely lost on you and that's a fact. xxoo, TT.
PS - who loves yah?
PPS - Who doesn't want to be DBRK? To be DBRK you'd have to walk a few million miles barefoot...just try that sometime...dare yah.

Sandy
01-18-2008, 08:40 AM
I like the guy. The time we met in person he was more than gracious, extending an offer that woould be hard to refuse by anyone. But if we all sounded like him this place would be a bit boring. I don't think we should turn the pit bulls of the forum into Basenji's (I'm not calling DBRK an Basenji ).

I like pit bulls. They can be a bit dangerous when acting on impulse, but they have personality.

JG

I REALLY like your post. Love the choice of dogs too- Pit Bull and Basenji (barkless dogs). I totally agree that to give this forum and any forum some real flavor and personality, one should allow the inherent personalities of those posting to occur without too much intervention or moderator control. I post some on an automotive forum in which there are a zillion moderators and they control how things are said with an iron fist. Lots of great content but very limited personality to the forum and very little genuine poster interaction and probably many fewers friends made because of it. I just think that sometimes some of us go over the top and make comments that are really not only insensitive to others but are hurtful, whether intentionally or not.

Yep- Welcome to all the pit bulls, basenjis, silken windhounds, labs, and yorkies. We should just try to keep the dog park a fun place for all.

Shiloh Shepherd Sandy

e-RICHIE
01-18-2008, 08:43 AM
We should just try to keep the dog park a fun place for all.

dogmo atmo -

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2082/2160665912_568eec5c81_b.jpg

J.Greene
01-18-2008, 08:45 AM
I just think that sometimes some of us go over the top
Shiloh Shepherd Sandy

A pal told me a long time ago that forums are a contact sport.

So what do you think of Bluetick Coon Hounds?

JG

morty
01-18-2008, 08:52 AM
I never could get the Elvis thing. My sister and I saw him perform at a dinner show in Vegas back in the early 70s when I was about 13, around the time he started to show the effects of too much food & pills, but he put on a memorable show nonetheless. The woman sitting across from us was just going nuts watching him, her b@@bs spilling out of her dress every time she lunged forward over the table to reach out for him, all while her husband just sat there, ignored by her like a lump--very odd (though amusing), I thought.

Back to dbrk, I don't know him, but he comes across as a kind soul, very bright and non-judgemental in any way. I've learned a lot just reading his posts here.

Some people may seem mean spirited when they are just trying to be funny, though others obviously have their issues... :rolleyes:

ps: aww, what a sweet looking little dog

Len J
01-18-2008, 09:03 AM
Why can't more of us be like dbrk? I am not talking about intelligence- we all know that he is clearly an exceedingly intelligent person. Not talking about vocabulary, which we all know is vast. Nor about his knowledge of the history of cycling, fit, bicycle mechanics, componentry,.... Clearly that is superior. Not even discussing his wonderful manner of articulating his vast cycling knowledge in a precise, clear, helpful, friendly, direct, and most enjoyable to read manner.

Smiley posted a photo of my new all steel Coeur D' Acier recently. I know that dbrk likes larger/taller bikes, horizontal tt, little if no spacers, and little if no additional ht extension. My bike has a 2 degree slope, an additioanl 2.4 cm ht extension, and 3 cm of spacers under the stem (to be decreased). dbrk's bikes would never look like mine. But dbrk only made nice comments about the bike and never even mentioned the ht, spacers, tt, and size of the bike. Typical type of a dbrk response.

We are fortunate to have dbrk here for may reasons.

Sandy

are spot on re DBRK's "assets"....however, the trick is to be as empathetic as he is while still wearing your own "skin".

Sometimes, ya have to call it like you see it, even if it ruffles someone else.

Len

shoe
01-18-2008, 09:52 AM
dbrk- he's the guy they name the brooks saddle after right........

Ray
01-18-2008, 10:14 AM
I never could get the Elvis thing. My sister and I saw him perform at a dinner show in Vegas back in the early 70s when I was about 13, around the time he started to show the effects of too much food & pills, but he put on a memorable show nonetheless. The woman sitting across from us was just going nuts watching him, her b@@bs spilling out of her dress every time she lunged forward over the table to reach out for him, all while her husband just sat there, ignored by her like a lump--very odd (though amusing), I thought.
Sounds like we're the same age, and I had similar reactions. But I think you probably had to be around when he was first breaking out, which we weren't. Before him, NO white guys put the sex into their music and it was a huge scandal. His hip-shake was banned in several places as just being waaaaay too provocative. Today (and even in the early 70s) it seems so tame as to be almost funny. But it was friggin' revolutionary back then. And the memories it must have stirred for people who were affected by it, opened up by it, liberated by it, at the time had to be profound.

I can relate by thinking of the Stones and similar acts. When I was entering the age of awareness, they were really revolutionary, pushing boundaries of social and political correctness every chance they got. A lot of that stuff (like Stray Cat Blues and Sympathy for the Devil, fer example) sound so tame today that its hard to remember what all the fuss was about. But at the time, that stuff was really out there and meant a lot to us. And, for having been there, I still love the Stones far beyond the level that their current output would ever justify. So, I can sort of understand the Elvis worship even though I didn't ever suffer from it :beer:

Sorry for the thread drift.

-Ray

swoop
01-18-2008, 10:48 AM
not to drift.. but what the heck happened to redford? oh man.. i'm looking down the barrel of getting old (i'm 43) and i don't want to live in fear that as a man.. the best i can do is become sally jessie rafael and audrey hepburn. what is this?

Fixed
01-18-2008, 10:54 AM
bro he's not fat ..
cheers

shinomaster
01-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Yes! Well, that's the sort of blinkered philistine pig ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage. You sit there on your loathsome spotty behinds squeezing blackheads, not caring a tinker's cuss for the struggling artist, you excrement. You whining hypocritical toadies with your colour TV sets and your Tony Jacklin golf clubs and your bleeding masonic secret handshakes. You wouldn't let me join, would you, you blackballing bastards. Well I wouldn't become a Freemason now if you went down on your lousy stinking knees and begged me.

Have a beer Louis. :beer:

slowgoing
01-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Because then the world would run out of Kool-Aid.

Sorry, couldn't resist! Guess I just proved Sandy's point.