PDA

View Full Version : earbuds / headphones

dookie
01-17-2008, 12:11 PM
i know...bad idea and possibly even illegal. nonetheless, i don't think there's much debate that a little music really makes those solo LSD rides more enjoyable.

so, assuming one is going to go ahead and do it (under safe as possible conditions), what have you used as a delivery mechanism that you really like? i'm not so concerned with audiophile sound quality, so much as fit (subjective, i realize) and lack of wind noise.

i currently use some body glove earbuds that have a plastic gizmo that wraps around behind your ear and holds the actual bud more or less in place. the buds themselves have interchangeable silicone covers of varying size. between the helmet strap and glasses earpieces, they don't like to stay firmly seated, no matter how hard i wedge them in. and as soon as the 'seal' is broken, the wind noise around/behind/across them drowns out the music.

any suggestions? i don't want to listen to myself sing...

thx.

SadieKate
01-17-2008, 12:17 PM
nonetheless, i don't think there's much debate that a little music really makes those solo LSD rides more enjoyable.

thx.No debate? Really? I personally like to listen to the birds sing. Or the deer and turkeys walking through the woods out of sight. Or the wind in the tree tops. Or the gurgling brook. Or . . . .

Electronic canned music ruins my ride.

saab2000
01-17-2008, 12:25 PM
No debate? Really? I personally like to listen to the birds sing. Or the deer and turkeys walking through the woods out of sight. Or the wind in the tree tops. Or the gurgling brook. Or . . . .

Electronic canned music ruins my ride.

Same with me. When I am riding I don't want to hear music. I don't get bored on long rides. Never have in 20+ years of riding.

MilanoTom
01-17-2008, 12:36 PM
i know...bad idea and possibly even illegal. nonetheless, i don't think there's much debate that a little music really makes those solo LSD rides more enjoyable.

so, assuming one is going to go ahead and do it (under safe as possible conditions), what have you used as a delivery mechanism that you really like? i'm not so concerned with audiophile sound quality, so much as fit (subjective, i realize) and lack of wind noise.

i currently use some body glove earbuds that have a plastic gizmo that wraps around behind your ear and holds the actual bud more or less in place. the buds themselves have interchangeable silicone covers of varying size. between the helmet strap and glasses earpieces, they don't like to stay firmly seated, no matter how hard i wedge them in. and as soon as the 'seal' is broken, the wind noise around/behind/across them drowns out the music.

thx.

Maybe you ride on a different planet, but where I ride, I need to be as aware as possible of my environment. With my luck, the one car I didn't hear would have a driver who didn't see me.

If I needed recorded music to make a ride more enjoyable, I'd be asking myself whether I should rethink my choice of sports.

Tom

01-17-2008, 12:38 PM

thx.

Your problem is that to get rid of wind noise reasonably well, you will have two side effects: First, of course, you won't be able to hear anything except the music. Second, if you're exercising hard, you'll hear body movement and blood flow through the buds. I used to wear fitted plugs when in the weight room and just gave up because of the byproduct sounds. The shallow cheap white iPod plugs don't seal well enough to create the problem, but then you have wind noise again. I've been using Sennheiser PMX70s for longer fixed rides on trails and in the gym -- they wrap around the back of your head and over the ears so they stay in place really well. They are waterproof, unaffected by perspiration, etc., and only cost about $30 on Amazon. Sound quality is quite good without blocking outside sound completely. They do pretty well at eliminating wind noise -- not completely, but it's a trade-off. And they are pretty much bulletproof.

I do agree in principle with the other posters above about not using headphones while riding. I don't use them in traffic or when riding in a group, but sometimes a winter 40 mile fixed gear ride on a trail in rain and cold just gets rather oppressive. The music does help.

Chris
01-17-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm the guy who turns around early if I am out alone and the battery dies on the ipod. I hate to exercise without music. Just the way it is.

I like the Bang and Olufson earbuds. A little pricey, but really nice and they don't cancel out all of the noise.

SoCalSteve
01-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Maybe you ride on a different planet, but where I ride, I need to be as aware as possible of my environment. With my luck, the one car I didn't hear would have a driver who didn't see me.

If I needed recorded music to make a ride more enjoyable, I'd be asking myself whether I should rethink my choice of sports.
Tom

And I feel just the opposite! I love riding my bike at the beach or climbing in Malibu, listening to some great tunes on my iPod...Gives me motivation to ride longer and faster as well.

I like these:

http://www.ultimateears.com/_ultimateears/products/superfi/superfi5eb_description.php

Enjoy!

Steve

dauwhe
01-17-2008, 12:51 PM

Tom

I agree, although I understand that others may feel differently. I do worry about the safety issue. Do people who listen to music while riding generally use mirrors?

Dave

goonster
01-17-2008, 12:58 PM
When I am riding I don't want to hear music. I don't get bored on long rides. Never have in 20+ years of riding.

With all due respect, you've never ridden a brevet in the NJ Pine Barrens.

I don't get bored (usually) but I do fall asleep.

Monthly Payment
01-17-2008, 01:02 PM
1 cut off ear bud. Get the $5 or less JVC or Coby ear buds they sell at the drug store. I use electrical tape after chopping off the ear bud so you don't get a mild shock.

I stick it in my right ear and keep it low. I usually am listening to talk radio. Between the volume being low, the single ear, and talk radio, its a good balance between listening to traffic around me and getting stimuli.

I ride in very heavy urban areas (LA and NY) and haven't had any problems hearing.

Tom
01-17-2008, 01:03 PM
I have one of the servants run along next to me and sing.

RABikes2
01-17-2008, 01:06 PM
IF you decide to wear an iPod or whatever, only the right earpiece should be worn and the sound turned down. The ear to the road (left) should be unpluged and able to hear oncoming traffic. Take the left earpiece and tie it with a twisty tie and secure it to the right wire to stay out of the way. You'll be able to hear the music just fine. I did it when I use to train multiple long distance runs in a row (left ear in - right ear open to the road) and now occasionally during a solo long distance bike ride, if I have it with me, I'll put the right ear plug in and listen for a little bit. I'll drape the wire through the helmet strap so when I don't want to listen to it, I can take it out and it stays right there.

I didn't put a lot of thought or money into the earpiece. It was which one fit my ear better for me.

Never have both ears plugged; just a bad idea all around.

Stay safe.

Just my $0.02.

RA
The majority of my rides are in rural south Georgia. I won't even consider wearing earplugs if riding in traffic.

Grant McLean
01-17-2008, 01:30 PM
:) IF you decide to wear an iPod or whatever, only the right earpiece should be worn and the sound turned down. The ear to the road (left) should be unpluged and able to hear oncoming traffic. Take the left earpiece and tie it with a twisty tie and secure it to the right wire to stay out of the way. You'll be able to hear the music just fine. I did it when I use to train multiple long distance runs in a row (left ear in - right ear open to the road) and now occasionally during a solo long distance bike ride, if I have it with me, I'll put the right ear plug in and listen for a little bit. I'll drape the wire through the helmet strap so when I don't want to listen to it, I can take it out and it stays right there.

I didn't put a lot of thought or money into the earpiece. It was which one fit my ear better for me.

Stay safe.

Just my $0.02.

RA.

thanks for saving me from typing out the exact same post!

:)

-g

glc
01-17-2008, 01:32 PM

i thought you just had a thing for shrubs?

Bud_E
01-17-2008, 01:33 PM
(mild thread drift )

I bought some recommended Senheisser earbuds ( MX500 ) to use instead of the ones that come with the IPod . They sound better for sure but the tradeoff is that they are bigger and much less comfortable in my ear canals. Anybody else have this problem ?

paczki
01-17-2008, 01:39 PM
I have one of the servants run along next to me and sing.

Tra la la -- WOOF -- Tra la la

Do they sing of your heroic exploits on the bike?

Dekonick
01-17-2008, 01:42 PM
anyone try this?

http://www.ihomeaudio.com/products.asp?product_id=10186

saab2000
01-17-2008, 01:51 PM

You are correct. But I still don't get bored. Usually when I am riding on long rides I solve the world's problems in my head. Come to the same solution each time.

But my life is so full of noise and chaos at work that I just love the silence and rush of wind when I am riding. It is therapeutic. Music has its time and place. But riding out in the middle of Wisconsin around Lake Winnebago or at High Cliff State Park or up the Klausenpass or over Schindeleggi in Switzerland are not the places for my Robbie Robertson or Roxy Music or Simple Minds tunes. :D On the contrary, those are places for me to listen to the cows and hear the wind rustling or the river roaring (Switzerland) or the Harley (Wisconsin) or the Ducati (Switzerland)... Or the perfect whispered 'wsh, wsh, wsh' sound of Veloflex tubulars as you climb out of the saddle...... :D

Just sayin'...... :beer:

72gmc
01-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Do they sing of your heroic exploits on the bike?

"When danger reared its ugly head / he bravely turned his tail and fled"

That kind of singing?

willy in pacifi
01-17-2008, 02:06 PM

Tom

I have yet to determine the difference between the sound of a car that is about to hit me from the sound of a car that is about to miss me.

If I ride a predictable line I do not think being able to hear the traffic behind me is as important as people make it out to be. After all, there must be deaf people that ride.

paczki
01-17-2008, 02:09 PM
"When danger reared its ugly head / he bravely turned his tail and fled"

That kind of singing?

Tom was a brave lad, of sturdy parts
He rode a shining steed
Stainless was his virtue so
Twas made of 953

He rode his steed far until he came
Across an evil knight
Atop a two-wheeler forged in the bowels
Of endless carbon night

My steed will dislodge you knight!
Brave Tom yelled in track stand & did jest
Your carbon bars and stem will crack
Under Flander cobbles they will be stressed

And so through Arenberg forest they did labor
And into the Velodrome crusted with earth
And across the line brave Tom did sprint
And the carbon knight barely got firth*

[*ed. -- "firth" Middle English for fourth]

SoCalSteve
01-17-2008, 02:13 PM
IF you decide to wear an iPod or whatever, only the right earpiece should be worn and the sound turned down. The ear to the road (left) should be unpluged and able to hear oncoming traffic. Take the left earpiece and tie it with a twisty tie and secure it to the right wire to stay out of the way. You'll be able to hear the music just fine. I did it when I use to train multiple long distance runs in a row (left ear in - right ear open to the road) and now occasionally during a solo long distance bike ride, if I have it with me, I'll put the right ear plug in and listen for a little bit. I'll drape the wire through the helmet strap so when I don't want to listen to it, I can take it out and it stays right there.

Stay safe.

Just my $0.02.

RA
The majority of my rides are in rural south Georgia. I won't even consider wearing earplugs if riding in traffic.

Im a bit confused...I started out my career as a Recording Engineer and unless things have changed, there is this thing called "Stereo".

Stereo puts different components of a song in one or the other ear (or sometimes both) at different volumes to simulate what it would be like had you been sitting in front of the band while they played the music...(or for effect)

Now, with that in mind, listening to just one half of a piece of music recorded in stereo is like like riding your bike with one leg (Ok, bad analogy), but, I think you get the drift of this.

So, I am not ever saying be unsafe on the road or not be aware of your surroundings...But, to say that you can hear the music just fine with just one ear piece its just not so.

Just sayin'

Steve

RABikes2
01-17-2008, 02:23 PM
So, I am not ever saying be unsafe on the road or not be aware of your surroundings...But, to say that you can hear the music just fine with just one ear piece its just not so.

Just sayin'

Steve
It is so and I disagree with you. Have you ever tried it? I have cheap earplugs, I've done this for many, many years, and maybe it isn't a surround stereo system, but the music comes across just fine.
RA

SoCalSteve
01-17-2008, 02:27 PM
It is so and I disagree with you. Have you ever tried it? I have cheap earplugs, I've done this for many, many years, and maybe it isn't a surround stereo system, but the music comes across just fine.
RA

I would never try it because I would be missing 1/2 the music...

I guess if you arent into high fidelity, have an understanding on how music is recorded or produced then it would be fine...

For me, I would rather not listen to music than listen to music through one ear....But, thats just me. YRMV...

Steve

Fixed
01-17-2008, 02:29 PM
hush hush hush the song of a father watching his son die of aids
a great song imho
cheers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoDwn0_39x0

dookie
01-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Maybe you ride on a different planet...

sheesh! apparently i do.

thanks to the three of you who have actually responded to the question asked.

RABikes2
01-17-2008, 03:06 PM
I would never try it because I would be missing 1/2 the music...

I guess if you arent into high fidelity, have an understanding on how music is recorded or produced then it would be fine...

For me, I would rather not listen to music than listen to music through one ear....But, thats just me. YRMV...

Steve
Guess that's where I differ. Listening to music on my bike is to break the silent hours of hearing myself think; it gives my mind a little time to relax while watching the scenery. When I'm home, in the car, or relaxing and listening to music, I agree as there's nothing better than a sweet sounding system. :beer:
RA

goonster
01-17-2008, 05:14 PM
i thought you just had a thing for shrubs?

No, I have a thing for scrubs.

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/images/troy/2006Feb20-WhatsCookin-1948.jpg

Grant McLean
01-17-2008, 05:22 PM
But, to say that you can hear the music just fine with just one ear piece its just not so.

Just sayin'

Steve

Depends on your definition of fine, i suppose.

I'm an audiophile... but i'll ride with 1 bud, and pull it out several times during
a ride and let it hang. It's fine. I don't expect to get the same musical experience
as sitting at home in front of the hi-fi with a nice single malt and some candles,
just like listening to the stereo isn't like being at the concert.

just sayin'

g

slowgoing
01-17-2008, 05:24 PM
1 cut off ear bud. Get the $5 or less JVC or Coby ear buds they sell at the drug store. I use electrical tape after chopping off the ear bud so you don't get a mild shock.

I stick it in my right ear and keep it low. I usually am listening to talk radio. Between the volume being low, the single ear, and talk radio, its a good balance between listening to traffic around me and getting stimuli.

I ride in very heavy urban areas (LA and NY) and haven't had any problems hearing.

+1 - earbud in one ear - on the non-traffic side.

cadence231
01-17-2008, 05:38 PM

thx.

I value riding with music and podcasts so much that I have two pair of the same model in case one pair fails: http://www.ultimateears.com/_ultimateears/products/superfi/superfi5eb_description.php

The bass is great!

Frankwurst
01-17-2008, 05:51 PM
I recievied a mp3 player from my kids this xmas. I've never in my 30 years of cycling had any tunes along other than my own pathetic singing and I love tunes. Big stereo, nice bike, have always been on the top of the list. so I told my son "I've never ridden with tunes but there seems to be alot of people doing it, maybe I'll give it a try" His response was "Yeah there are alot of people base jumping too." :beer: I'm still gonna give it a try (not base jumping) :beer:

SadieKate
01-17-2008, 06:19 PM
sheesh! apparently i do.

thanks to the three of you who have actually responded to the question asked.I wouldn't have responded at all if you hadn't made the erroneous statement that there is little debate about a little music making solo rides more entertaining. Do whatever you want but don't assume we all think canned music enhances a ride. Meanwhile, I'll find my entertainment in riding up behind people gone deaf with their earbuds and talking about them at great length . . . and then scaring the bejesus out of them. Ooh boy, those dangling wires are such an invitation . . . :D

onekgguy
01-17-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm using a version of this (http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=500635) from Sennheiser. Mine are black but I don't see that they offer them anymore. They're nicer than others I've used because they've got the small circular appendage above the earpiece which keeps them in place. There's also a volume adjustment built into the wires.

I ride with mine pretty much all the time and I don't find that it's unsafe. I wouldn't do it if it was. I've also got a small mirror mounted inside my shades so there are no surprises from behind. To each their own.

Kevin g

SoCalSteve
01-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Depends on your definition of fine, i suppose.

I'm an audiophile... but i'll ride with 1 bud, and pull it out several times during
a ride and let it hang. It's fine. I don't expect to get the same musical experience
as sitting at home in front of the hi-fi with a nice single malt and some candles,just like listening to the stereo isn't like being at the concert.

just sayin'

g

G,

This is where you and I differ. I take the single malt and candles with me when I ride...(but, the real trick is keeping them lit while I'm riding)....

Just sayin'

S

mdeeds71
01-17-2008, 06:58 PM
I don't ride all the time, especially in traffic but on certain paths and rides I do. I use Shure 300 series and they are phenominal. A bit pricey but great. I use them on the aircraft when sitting in the back to hide all the noise from everyone and the aircraft. The are a plug type and I don't get the blood noise or anything like that.

I can also recommend the 200 series as well since I started with them.

Mark

Fixed
01-17-2008, 07:06 PM
bro do what jack does he has deep purple playing on a flatbed trailer with a simi truck pulling it motorpace training
cheers imho :beer:

Ti Designs
01-17-2008, 07:35 PM
For me music never makes it into the picture. I have 5 ways to sense things around me, taste and smell don't do much for me on the bike. If I'm using my sense of feel to stay out of danger I'm probably doing something wrong. That leaves sight and hearing. Sight is a wonderful thing, but some idiot mounted both of my eyes in the front of my head, and it's a directional sort of thing. That leaves hearing, which I'm not willing to give up...

Chris
01-17-2008, 07:48 PM
Did you all miss the point where the guy says "so, assuming one is going to go ahead and do it"? Instead of letting those with suggestions chime in, this had to become another debate and parenting issue.

This seems more contentious than the helmet debates that have raged in the past...

Ti Designs
01-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Did you all miss the point where the guy says "so, assuming one is going to go ahead and do it"?

Yup.

I say screw the earbuds, go with AKG K240's. You can cut the helmet back with a trim router. Any better???

Chris
01-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Now you're talkin...

Tom
01-18-2008, 07:09 AM
You know, I really wouldn't mind riding the bike enough to where not having music with me becomes a problem. Count your goddamn blessings. I get to sit here and listen to my moronic management over by their offices hooting and barking like a bunch of howler monkeys scratching their balls. I don't care if it is freezing rain outside. You have no idea how much I'd rather be out there than in here.

onekgguy
01-18-2008, 09:14 AM
You know, I really wouldn't mind riding the bike enough to where not having music with me becomes a problem. Count your goddamn blessings. I get to sit here and listen to my moronic management over by their offices hooting and barking like a bunch of howler monkeys scratching their balls. I don't care if it is freezing rain outside. You have no idea how much I'd rather be out there than in here.

Tom, you work for the faa too?

Kevin g

paczki
01-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Speaking as an audiophile there are lots of great mono recordings -- from Toscanini to Charlie Parker to Pet Sounds. You might one ear it and enjoy the golden age of tube recording.