PDA

View Full Version : Mavic SSC tub rims up to $307 on the bay - with one day to go!

Nick H.
01-17-2008, 10:00 AM
How high is the bidding going to get? Are these particular rims the creme de la creme? (Apologies for the lack of accents.) They don't say Paris-Roubaix on them...but is that what they are?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230212770351&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

Grant McLean
01-17-2008, 10:14 AM
How about the same ebay seller with the Century finish C-Record hubs!!

You don't see those everyday....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Campagnolo-C-Record-Hi-Flange-Century-Hub-NOS-Sherriff_W0QQitemZ230212752461QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3 6144QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Actually, $300 for a pair of SSC's is cheap compared to $1000 for Ksryiums.

-g

Nick H.
01-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Those hubs aren't cheap. Campyoldy has a 28/36 pair with the Century finish for 170 UK Pounds. The seller is obviously aiming for the super-bling end of the market, what with his gold-plated spokes an' all.

Johny
01-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Campyoldy has a 28/36 pair with the Century finish for 170 UK Pounds.

Nigel of Campyoldy is a super nice guy. Many years ago (before many people know his site), I bought few Record Delta brakes from him (still keep two sets...) when they were £150. Now they are £300. Still a good deal for Campy fans.

Nick H.
01-17-2008, 11:34 AM
I got some GP4s from him for a good price the other day. And a ton of NOS 7400 DA bits for next to nothing. And a cracking Cinelli hairnet helmet for doing this with. :crap:

01-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Mavic made literally dozens of different SSC rims, typically short runs each year for sponsored teams (plus some leftovers for the consumer market). Some of the team rims didn't get built and were sold off by mechanics at the end of the year. These rims generally were the same basic extrusion shape but came in at least three different wall thicknesses and hence three different weights. They also came both with stainless and mixed alloy ferrules. The stainless ferrules were fine (all except the first few hundred which were so hard they tended to crack the rims) but the mixed alloy ones (usually part aluminum, part non-stainless steel) tended to corrode. This either caused them to separate or led to corrosion in the adjoining aluminum of the extrusion.

Quality of the good SSCs was superb; there were some that were really rather mediocre. The Paris Roubaix was arguably the best of the lot, and consistently fine. For the rest, I prefer to see them in the flesh before shelling out a big price tag. By and large, SSCs are best for the vintage/collectible market. Compared to an Ambrosio Nemesis rim, I'd take the Nemesis (at about $145-150 a pair).

e-RICHIE
01-17-2008, 11:38 AM
I'd take the Nemesis
i have one i'd like to offmo atmo...

Too Tall
01-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Don't be a naughty Eskimo-wo-oh
Save your money: don't go to the show

GP4's are wickedpissah.

Nick H.
01-18-2008, 06:39 AM

You don't see those everyday....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Campagnolo-C-Record-Hi-Flange-Century-Hub-NOS-Sherriff_W0QQitemZ230212752461QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3 6144QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
-g

The opening bid for those has been slashed to $99! Is it my imagination, or was iit $499 yesterday?

RudAwkning
01-18-2008, 09:56 AM

I've got an NOS set of those, high flange rear low flange front in 36hole. That Century finish is soooo nice. I've been thinking about lacing them up to a set of NOS Mavic MA40 rims I have lying around. Problem is, I have no bike worthy of them :D

chrisroph
01-18-2008, 10:34 AM
i bought a a pair of nos 28 ssc's-non-pr-- some years ago and built a pair of wheels with record hubs. The front is fine but the back didn't buld right as the rim just wasn't very stright and i had to mess with the tension far too much to make a strong wheel. some rims are just like that. i'm going to re-build the rear with a campy rim i have in my stash. my point is that even the vaunted ssc's aren't always perfect. buyer beware on ebay.

sspielman
01-18-2008, 10:38 AM
i bought a a pair of nos 28 ssc's-non-pr-- some years ago and built a pair of wheels with record hubs. The front is fine but the back didn't buld right as the rim just wasn't very stright and i had to mess with the tension far too much to make a strong wheel. some rims are just like that. i'm going to re-build the rear with a campy rim i have in my stash. my point is that even the vaunted ssc's aren't always perfect. buyer beware on ebay.

I'd be willing to bet that it was built up once...and rejected...and eventually filtered down to ebay......That is a problem with NOS rims...as time goes on, a higher percentage of them are rejects....

chrisroph
01-18-2008, 12:14 PM
I'd be willing to bet that it was built up once...and rejected...and eventually filtered down to ebay......That is a problem with NOS rims...as time goes on, a higher percentage of them are rejects....

could very well be. it is a real pos. made a real poor wheel. i'll just use it to stretch tires going forward and won't pawn it off on somebody else.

Grant McLean
01-18-2008, 01:11 PM

possibly.

but a lot of tubular rims have been languishing in back of shops unsold for decades.
with the 'net finally giving people an audience for their old junk, it's suddenly
possible to sell these old relics.

For a long time, you couldn't give away old tubular rims.

-g

Too Tall
01-18-2008, 01:15 PM
possibly.

but a lot of tubular rims have been languishing in back of shops unsold for decades.
with the 'net finally giving people an audience for their old junk, it's suddenly
possible to sell these old relics.

For a long time, you couldn't give away old tubular rims.

-g
True Dat. I've got an arm load from a good friend...GP4s, Campy Stradas/Omegas you name it all good stuff. I gave the campys to T.K. and the rest I use to stretch tyres :)

Grant McLean
01-18-2008, 01:17 PM
True Dat. I've got an arm load from a good friend...GP4s, Campy Stradas/Omegas you name it all good stuff.

that's why we'll never be good friends TT...
you ain't gettin my rims !

:banana:

-g

Nick H.
01-19-2008, 10:15 AM
So...the rims went for $387 inc. shipping. I really hope they build up nicely. That would be a lot to pay for rejects.

And the Campag Sheriffs made $500 after all.

Those rims are making me wonder whether there's a good deal to be had here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280191686182&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018/ According to 11.4 these are likely to be better quality than the older red/gold label ones.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the price rise by 80% in the last few minutes of the auction.