PDA

View Full Version : Desperately need anti-fog advice and Adidas Gazelle advice

dekindy
01-17-2008, 06:05 AM
I am using Adidas Gazelle glasses with an RX insert. They fog badly and I am wondering if the Climacool version or the bike specific Evil Eye Climacool versions and anti-fog treatment lenses work better. Or is there an anti-fog product out there that works or can you tell me what I am doing wrong with the ones that I have.

I have tried the Clarity Fog Eliminator Dry Reuseable Anti-Fog cloths and Sea Gold Anti-Fog Gel (for diving masks) and have not found either to work. I have also tried liquid soap.

The Clarity product reduced fogging slightly but the lenses still fogged far more than I would like. I rubbed the lenses with the cloth for a long time. For those who have had great success, what could I be doing wrong?

I tested the Clarity product on the road but have only went out on the back porch after applying the Sea Gold. One breath on my lenses and they were completely fogged over. No change that I could see. What could I be doing wrong with this product? Do I need to test it on the road with better airflow before passing judgment. It said to rinse twice immediately after applying. So I rinsed twice, wiping the lenses dry both times. The first rinse still left a lot of gel on the lenses but the second rinse seemed to clear them completely of gel.

regularguy412
01-17-2008, 06:41 AM
You might try Rain-X. I have not only used it on the outside of auto glass and headlight surfaces, but also on the inside of the windows to minimize fogging. Works very well in that application. I'd test it on a small portion of your lenses/glasses first,,just to make sure it's compatible with them.

Mike in AR

Bruce K
01-17-2008, 06:52 AM
Take a look in Motorsports catalogs.

Bell used to make a little wax-like stick that you rubbed on the inside of your visor so it wouldn't fog in the rain while racing.

I'm sure there are newer and better products now.

BK

maunahaole
01-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Rain-x + plastic = ruined plastic. Be warned. Rain-x + glass is awesome.

fixednwinter
01-17-2008, 11:55 AM
I am using Adidas Gazelle glasses with an RX insert. They fog badly and I am wondering if the Climacool version or the bike specific Evil Eye Climacool versions and anti-fog treatment lenses work better. Or is there an anti-fog product out there that works or can you tell me what I am doing wrong with the ones that I have.

I sympathize - I need RX inserts too. Both for cycling & paintball, I've used both anti-fog and adhesive film, and while both are OK, they are not great.

Another so-so solution is going with vented lenses. In my case, I have Oakley's Racing Jacket with vented lenses. While those also work to a certain extent, the downside is they allow too much air in, and I can feel wind blasting onto my eyes.

For cycling, what has worked best for me are glasses that allow a lot of positioning adjustment. I currently use Rudy Project Exception, that uses RX lenses on the inside, and then their tinted lenses on the outside. As with inserts, that's a lot of surfaces, with potential for fogging and bad vision. But what prevents fogging on those (except when walking from the outdoor cold into a warm coffee shop - nothing prevents fogging then!) is the ability to position the frame away from my face.

On most Rudy's as well as the Smith Reactor, you can shape the nose pads and arms so that the frames set away from your face, yet still provides optical and protective coverage. For me, I like to have the glasses high and away. The height keeps the lenses centred when I'm riding with drop bars, but the distance from my face keeps air circulating and prevents fogging. At the same time, while it allows air circulation, you're eyes are not being blasted by air on a descent.

Frames with some form of RX where I've had good luck with this -

Rudy Project: Exception (detachable insert), Horus (this is not an insert system, but instead, you can detach just the lens frame itself from the arms and brow, and those frames can be RX'd)

Smith Optics: Reactor

link
01-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Cat Crap (http://www.catcrap.com.au/whatis)

TMB
01-17-2008, 01:34 PM
I was never able to get a confirmation from Rudy Project that my prescription could be done in their insert.

I have ended up with a Bolle glass with interchangeable lenses and the removeable insert.

No more mussing with contacts, I get no fogging as there is enough ventilation around the Bolle frame, and I can see!!!

Bruce K
01-17-2008, 03:08 PM
I believe that Rudy will now do Rx lenses that eliminate the insert.

There is a guy in Denver, CO called Sports Optical that custom grinds Rudy lenses (with full warranties) to fit most Rudy Project sunglasses.

He has done several sets of Rydon lenses for me and my son, including transition shading lenses and aricraft pilot grade lenses.

Not cheap but they don't have the multi-lense fogging issues either.

Plus, they weigh a whole lot less.

BK

giordana93
01-17-2008, 06:46 PM
maybe something from the downhill ski market to use in ski goggles? not my area, but maybe a web search (or a ski forum query) could offer some info. good luck

staggerwing
01-17-2008, 07:05 PM
I'm about as blind as they come (-10L, and -9R), and must wear glasses for 100% of my waking hours.

Nothing that I've found, will work 100% for keeping multiple layers of optics clear WITHOUT sufficient airflow. For skiing, a couple of drops of liquid hand detergent, carefully rubbed into each surface, and buffed off with a clean towel, work as well as any specialty commercial product. Do NOT use any water.

Otherwise, Smith Optics has the Regulator line of ski goggles. They feature a miniature, AAA-battery powered, exhaust fan at top, dead center, off the foam surround. Pricey, but they work very, very well. They have "clear" night skiing lenses for these too.

As another suggestion, use the smallest lens that you can tolerate. This helps keep a decent airflow around the optic, which keeps the condensation at bay.

Viper
01-17-2008, 08:11 PM
The answer is at 2:20 atmo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQLiQLNlS0Q