PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch: Opinions?

saab2000
01-16-2008, 03:22 PM
I am curious about these. Seems like most of an iPhone, but without the contract.

Tell me about them if you have one.

One thing I have heard that turns me off is that the screen is supposedly less good than the iPhone. Can anyone confirm or deny?

dauwhe
01-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Very happy with my iPod Touch, especially after the software release yesterday that added most of the iPhone features (notes, Google maps, mail, weather) for $20.

The screen seems very good to me. I haven't directly compared it to an iPhone screen, but my sense is that there were maybe a few bad screens in the first batch of iPod Touches. It's been a long time since I've heard any chatter about that.

The big difference with the iPhone (besides the phone, of course) is that the iPhone can use the cellular data network to connect to the internet (slowly, I hear) when you're not in wifi range. This hasn't been a big deal for me, as I've used the Touch mostly at home or work (with good wifi). I think of it as a happy bonus when I find free wifi elsewhere.

If I didn't have a cell contract already, and lived in an area where AT&T had excellent coverage, and wasn't married, and didn't spend most of my money on bikes and skis, I'd probably get an iPhone. But as I said, I'm very fond of the iPod Touch.

Dave

saab2000
01-16-2008, 03:33 PM
My problem with the iPhone is the contract. I need my phone a lot for my work and the company doesn't pay for it (I can write it off though). I only use about 5 numbers, but I use those a lot and to get plans with lots of minutes the prices start getting high fast. So I went Alltel, which doens't have any cool iPhone. But for a set fee every month I get to make essentially unlimited calling, without having to count minutes.

But I am totally 'deer in the headlights' when it comes that effin' iPhone. Seems like the iPod Touch is a good compromise. And now with the movie rentals it seems like something great to do when I am wasting my life on airplanes commuting across the country.

Hmmm.....

SoCalSteve
01-16-2008, 03:37 PM
In my mind, it seems like just another (pretty big) thing to carry around with you and why???

You already have a phone, right? An iPod or some kind of MP3 player, right? Whats the point of having yet something else to lug around???

If you want to do it, combine everything into one package. Get a PDA phone that has the capability of playing MP3's, email and the Internet.

I have this all in my HTC Touch. It does everything that the iTouch does, plus it has a phone. Oh, its much smaller as well....Yes, the screen isnt as big, but how often do you watch TV or movies on such a small screen anyway?

Anyway, playing devils advocate here...The iTouch wouldnt be my first choice and if I didnt already have a phone contract, etc, I would consider an iPhone (not the iTouch).

Just atmo.

Just sayin'

Steve

dauwhe
01-16-2008, 03:49 PM
The iPod Touch really is an iPod, but with a host of really cool extras--the web browsing experience is just amazing. I couldn't imagine having any other mp3 player--it would feel really frustrating to have such a limited gadget.

It's not a full-fledged PDA, but for me it's close enough. For travelling, it's great. I'd take an iPod anyway, but with this I don't have to bring a computer to be able to check my email, or see who's been kicked out of the Tour that day.

Dave

saab2000
01-16-2008, 03:49 PM
....Yes, the screen isnt as big, but how often do you watch TV or movies on such a small screen anyway?

At the office......... And on the way to the office.

Just kidding. Mostly. :rolleyes:

But there are times and places in my world where such a toy would be kinda cool.

gt6267a
01-16-2008, 03:54 PM
in a similar though not the same light as socalsteve ... i think the itouch has a wonderful array of capabilities, BUT I don't see where it fits into the gadget spectrum. its big, expensive, and ain't got no phone.

8gb nano $199
8gb itouch $299
8gb iphone $399

its not cool enough to warrant an extra $100 over a nano and why not burn another $100 and get the phone? seems like a inbetween product that ain't got no tween. back when the iphone was $599 the itouch's existance made sense ...

dauwhe
01-16-2008, 04:01 PM
The iPhone is rather more than a hundred bucks more than an iPod Touch, once you pay for the contract :)

A hundred bucks more than the nano seems reasonable for wireless internet, the big screen, multi-touch interface, and a dozen other things...

Just my opinion... :beer:

Dave

Flat Out
01-16-2008, 04:22 PM
It's only 8 or 16 gigs so I went with the classic instead which was less money and holds 160 gigs! That's enough space for me to use lossless files for music and have a LOT of room left for everything else.

SoCalSteve
01-16-2008, 04:23 PM
The iPhone is rather more than a hundred bucks more than an iPod Touch, once you pay for the contract :)

A hundred bucks more than the nano seems reasonable for wireless internet, the big screen, multi-touch interface, and a dozen other things...

Dave

Big caveat there though...Only where there is WiFi (and many places you have to pay for WiFi)...I think it would be much more marketable if were able to connect through the cell system (as the iPhone and most cell phones do).

Just another (lacking) piece of the puzzle.

gt6267a
01-16-2008, 04:24 PM

Dave

i see your thinking but a few thoughts for you:

does anyone who is considering an itouch not have a cell? money is going out the door for that plan / device so to say the cost of an iphone is greater than $100 more than an itouch because of these things is not true, unless you would get an iphone and keep a cell.

the places where i will get the best use of wifi - work and home, i have computers with full sized screens. the wifi seems like a fun thing to have but not a killer upgrade.

further, i suspect many people in the itouch / iphone game have a cell phone with some capability ... a treo, blackberry, whatev so a great deal of the itouch capabilites not available on a nano are covered by the cell phone. for example ... google maps, stock quotes, web browsing ... all on my cell and rather snappy.

my problem is that i have a nano and cell phone. two devices that need charging and pocket space. ick.

dauwhe
01-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Big caveat there though...Only where there is WiFi (and many places you have to pay for WiFi)...I think it would be much more marketable if were able to connect through the cell system (as the iPhone and most cell phones do).

Just another (lacking) piece of the puzzle.

Agreed! I did mention that in my first post, and I think of it as the biggest limitation. For me, the other tradeoffs made the iPod Touch a good choice. Others would, quite reasonably come to different conclusions.

As I type, I'm listing to music on the Touch, and checking out a map of where I'm skiing this weekend. Very cool!

Dave

dauwhe
01-16-2008, 04:35 PM
i see your thinking but a few thoughts for you:

does anyone who is considering an itouch not have a cell? money is going out the door for that plan / device so to say the cost of an iphone is greater than $100 more than an itouch because of these things is not true, unless you would get an iphone and keep a cell.

the places where i will get the best use of wifi - work and home, i have computers with full sized screens. the wifi seems like a fun thing to have but not a killer upgrade.

further, i suspect many people in the itouch / iphone game have a cell phone with some capability ... a treo, blackberry, whatev so a great deal of the itouch capabilites not available on a nano are covered by the cell phone. for example ... google maps, stock quotes, web browsing ... all on my cell and rather snappy.

my problem is that i have a nano and cell phone. two devices that need charging and pocket space. ick.

My cell phone is on my wife's account. It has been made clear to me that an iPhone is not in my future :rolleyes:

Heck, I just think the interface and the screen are great. My rational mind doesn't play a large part in these decisions, as I'm sure people with $5,000 bikes will understand!

Dave

Dekonick
01-16-2008, 07:20 PM
I *almost* bought an Iphone. I was given a 16gb touch as a gift and LOVE it.

Wifi is just about anywhere you would use a touch for internet - at least it is for me. If someone makes software that will interface a touch with a slingbox...watch out!

IF the Iphone ever makes it to Verizon... :beer:

Pete Serotta
01-16-2008, 07:35 PM
DAughter has an IPOD touch and the new release they announced yesterday makes it everything but a phone.

Please keep in mind that ATT in US is sole seller of IPHONE. ATT Service is not great in many areas.

If you just want music then the other IPODs are more cost effective. If you want mail, access to internet, etc and you do not normally have a PC handy - the "touch" is worth looking at.

saab2000
01-16-2008, 08:26 PM
I just stopped at the Apple store tonight. This iPod Touch looks like a winner. But the price, combined with the fact that I got winter tires for my car a few months ago, means that it is not going to be an impulse purchase. I want one, but it's gonna wait.

Besides, maybe by then there will be some more updates. A built in camera would be awful nice, even a mediocre one. But the ability to send a photo you just took would be pretty cool.

T-Crush
01-16-2008, 10:04 PM
I have a classic video and a touch, and the wi-fi, interface and other cool features make it a very fun toy, and I've just started to explore the $20 upgrade package... The Classic has been relegated to the car as my commuter music source.

I have a laptop, a nice Thinkpad (oxymoron?), but I use my touch around the house much more frequently, it's just so convenient. For the first time in my adult life I have pictures of the family, vacation and, yes, my bikes, when someone asks. The touch screen makes it so. Yes it's a bit big for a pocket, but it's not too big, and it is just simply cool to use. Plus the iPhone holsters work really well for the total geek look.

avalonracing
01-16-2008, 10:13 PM
Besides, maybe by then there will be some more updates. A built in camera would be awful nice, even a mediocre one. But the ability to send a photo you just took would be pretty cool.

The iPhone has that.
I downloaded the new upgrade last night and it is super-cool. That is another that rocks about the iPhone over the other PDA phones. How often do they come out with cool upgrades and added features at no cost. With the iPhone touch screen the software upgrades can just keep coming and coming.

Tony Edwards
01-17-2008, 07:40 AM
I am waiting for the second-gen iPhone (which I imagine will be announced this summer and released in the fall or winter). I am hoping for 3G internet, true GPS, and voice-activated dialing.

saab2000
01-17-2008, 07:48 AM
I am waiting for the second-gen iPhone (which I imagine will be announced this summer and released in the fall or winter). I am hoping for 3G internet, true GPS, and voice-activated dialing.

That could be. But with the latest update I think they are not going to intruduce a new piece of hardware for a while. The 2nd generation iPhone will be largely software. I read a review of their "Faux GPS" and it said it's not bad, triangulating off of cellphone towers. Takes a minute to figure out where it is, but then it's basically within a block or so of accuracy. I too think real GPS ought to be included, and it may be in the future, but at least the new thing is an improvement.

Faster internet would be cool too. I would also have one if they were available from more than just AT&T. But that won't happen for a while I don't think.

Still, the software update that just came out for the iPod Touch and iPhone are significant. For the geek like me at least.

Real GPS will be cool though, you're right about that.

avalonracing
01-17-2008, 08:25 AM
I read a review of their "Faux GPS" and it said it's not bad, triangulating off of cellphone towers. Takes a minute to figure out where it is, but then it's basically within a block or so of accuracy.

It does work well and it takes a few seconds to figure it out, not a minute.
Also the Google Traffic works well too, I just confirmed that.
These are all services that some people pay for but Apple is adding them to the iPhone at no cost increase. I think that is pretty cool.

SoCalSteve
01-17-2008, 10:13 AM
That could be. But with the latest update I think they are not going to intruduce a new piece of hardware for a while. The 2nd generation iPhone will be largely software. I read a review of their "Faux GPS" and it said it's not bad, triangulating off of cellphone towers. Takes a minute to figure out where it is, but then it's basically within a block or so of accuracy. I too think real GPS ought to be included, and it may be in the future, but at least the new thing is an improvement.

Faster internet would be cool too. I would also have one if they were available from more than just AT&T. But that won't happen for a while I don't think.

Still, the software update that just came out for the iPod Touch and iPhone are significant. For the geek like me at least.

Real GPS will be cool though, you're right about that.

From what I have read and heard (take it for what its worth)...The 2nd generation iPhone will be smaller, run on the G3 network and be available the beginning of summer...

Again, take it for what its worth...

Steve

avalonracing
01-17-2008, 10:36 AM
From what I have read and heard (take it for what its worth)...The 2nd generation iPhone will be smaller, run on the G3 network and be available the beginning of summer...

Again, take it for what its worth...

Steve

You are closer to the source so I won't doubt you. I don't think that smaller is better especially for people who watch video (which I don't). It's funny at home we need 150" screens (to watch films that are short on dialog and heavy on special effects) but on the road people want to watch 'nano' sized screens.