PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand Serotta carbon

sailorboy
01-16-2008, 03:22 PM
6.5 vs. 8.5

Are there any comparrisons to known bikes out there? IOW, if I had extensive miles on a colnago C-40--a frame that by all appearances, is made similarly with carbon tubes in carbon lugs--how would it compare to a Meivici made with 6.5 throughout? Same for 8.5 tubing.

Another way to ask this would be if 6.5 tubes would be stiff enough to produce a responsive ride that climbed well and accelerated well in sprints to boot. 160 lb. rider weight, fairly aggressive riding style.

jimcav
01-16-2008, 04:03 PM
serotta recommends the 8.5 for heavier riders (180+)
i find my meivici, which is 8.5 to be very stiff in terms of acceleration, and it also feels very precise to me--the fork is top notch. however, it is not a harsh ride at all (unlike say a scott cr1 i once rode, which was stiff, but harsh). all this is with the caveat that i have only had a max of 80 minutes on the meivici. I am doubtful that 160 lbs you'd have any problem with 6.5, also you are 10-13 lbs lighter than me, so maybe 8.5 might feel stiff (meaning harsh) to you--what it feels to me is powerful.

I also have hundreds of miles on every version of the c-40--a bike i found very stable and comfortable. i have since migrated to prefer lighter, more agile handling, responsive/stiff (leg effort=go) bikes. I will say i think if pure comfort is your goal, the 8.5 at your weight won't float over the ground like the old c40 pre-b. it won't be that different than the HP. I had a carbonissimo--it was more stiff than the meivici--still not harsh, but it did transmit the road to me more than the serotta.
jim

Pete Serotta
01-16-2008, 07:38 PM
THis will sound like an ad BUT - - List your requirements, bike size, weight and I will be glad to ask the GURU SIR KELLY :D :D

Blastinbob
01-16-2008, 07:55 PM
I think a all 6.5 bike may have a little too much tt flex for you. Brunks first Meivici was all 6.5 and I know he didn't like it and he's close to your weight. Mine is all 8.5 and I love it, my Ottrott is 8.5 as well. Both have 8.5 forks. I have ridden a 6.5 Meivici demo and though it was too soft up top.
You could do an 8.5 TT, ST and DT with a soft ST stay and a 6.5 fork. Tell Serotta how you want it to ride and they can deliver.