PDA

View Full Version : Neutrons... how often to break apart and re-lube?

Tom
01-16-2008, 12:00 PM
What's a good grease for the job?

Can somebody with mediocre skills do it?

I just cleaned up my workbench and I guess I ought to actually do something on it.

chrisroph
01-16-2008, 12:48 PM
once a year is more than enough if there has not been water intrusion, then right away

phil, campy grease is awful

yes, its pretty easy

post pictures

shinomaster
01-16-2008, 01:01 PM
I think I ruined mine racing cross.

chrisroph
01-16-2008, 01:17 PM
I think I ruined mine racing cross.

only one way to find out, pull em apart. once you do it a couple times, it goes much faster.

Grant McLean
01-16-2008, 01:22 PM
What's a good grease for the job?

Can somebody with mediocre skills do it?

Pedros grease is great for the loose bearings, the pawls I only use oil.

I think most people can do it, no really special tools are needed.
The one tricky part is the last seal inside the hub on the driveside
that seperates the lube inside the pawl from the set of loose bearings
in the center of the hub. That "Bearing cover" seal pops out, and
can be really tricky to get pushed back into place without damaging it.
Consider leaving this bearing cover in place, especially if the grease
in the loose bearin doesn't appear dirty.

When you take off the freehub body and remove the pawls, consider
just cleaning the center hub bearing in place, and adding grease.
Then reassemble the pawls, and put some oil in there just before
you slide it closed. That's my tip.

-g

shinomaster
01-16-2008, 01:24 PM
IS it possible to ruin a record hub? Mine completely seized after a race. :( I can replace the cones of course?

Grant McLean
01-16-2008, 01:26 PM
IS it possible to ruin a record hub? Mine completely seized after a race. :( I can replace the cones of course?

What is seized, the axle or the freehub?

-g

shinomaster
01-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Axel--it wouldn't spin :( I'll take it over to my local Campy "pro" shop. I need to buy cone wrenches, as I have no clear idea of how to work on a hub.

chrisroph
01-16-2008, 07:41 PM

yes

not good, however the parts are replaceable but it can cost mucho $$$, don't know the going price as i haven't had to do it for may years.

the problem with neutrons (or other campy hubs) for cross is that the sealing is not great. that's why zank uses dt and terry uses king.

shinomaster
01-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Yeah I had a silver record hub get messed up a year ago from cross. . After an overhaul it was fine however. The cones were still A-OK.
I try to squirt the grease into the little hole as much as possible. Seems to help.

BumbleBeeDave
01-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Tell me when you're going to do it and I'll come over and take pics. I think other forum members would enjoy the sight of you swearing and crying while crawling around on the floor, covered with grease, looking for that part you dropped. :beer:

BBD

bnewt07
01-17-2008, 02:12 AM
"Service annually, or each time they get wet??" Hmm, not sure about that.

I've always felt that if they still feel smooth it is a lot better to leave them alone rather than breaking the seal and fiddling.

I had a pair of Protons for 5 years and never touched them until last week, they had lots of wet use too. When I finally felt guilty and stripped them the lube looked fine and frankly I wish I'd never bothered.

My Neutron Ultras are just a year old and I'm not moved to take them apart because they feel as sweet as when new.

97CSI
01-17-2008, 04:55 AM
Axel--it wouldn't spin :( I'll take it over to my local Campy "pro" shop. I need to buy cone wrenches, as I have no clear idea of how to work on a hub.Believe the manual is on the Campy website. Download, print out (better than grease/dirt on your computer monitor) and go to work. Watch out for the little springs 'springing' away.

chrisroph
01-17-2008, 07:53 AM
"Service annually, or each time they get wet??" .

nw cross powerwash wet better rebuild em quick ask shino about this one

normaluse, you can go longer but annual is a good rule of thumb, atmo ymmv. but lots of my campy wheels haven't been rebuilt for a few years

Tom
01-17-2008, 08:00 AM
6000+/- miles, I don't remember a whole lot of soaker rain rides this year.