PDA

View Full Version : Need help! My foot keeps faLling asleep!

scooter01
08-11-2004, 08:04 AM
I have a new Legend Ti, the best bike I have ever had. However I have this problem with my left foot gets numb and go to sleep after the first 10-15 miles. Have replaced the seat, the pedals, stem, bars, the shoes (four times) and my gloves.
I see a personal training and discussed this problem too. She has come up with a few stretches to try while riding, which help some, but still don't cure the problem.

She is not a cyclist so I am still at a loss. I am certain that others her may have had similar problems. Where do I start?

I think this must be in the fit some how. I have a 15-year-old Fiorrelli that the Ti replace that we used for the fit, that bike was perfect for all those years.
Some how something has changed. Any and all advice is welcomed!
reply here, or to me directly scott.read@ncfbins.com thanks!

Dekonick
08-11-2004, 08:22 AM
I had the same problem. I still do with my old shoes...

After lots of research, and a chat with Smiley, D2shoes, my podiatrist, my MD, I discovered it has to (for me) to do with nerve compression (Duh!) - to resolve this my first step was to change shoes to ones that work better for me. I still get numbness after 2+ hours in the saddle, but I usually only ride 3 at most (not my choice, but I want to stay married... LOL)

The best answer I found was custom orthotics...or better yet...custom shoes with built in orthotics. They are NOT cheap, but then again my bike cost oooohhh - I dont know - the total is running up to 6k now..and counting... so whats $400 for a pair of custom shoes? Worth it IMHO. I am all ready to get my final fitting (for cleat position) as soon as the shoes are done.

D2 tells me that they are confident that this will fix all of my problems.

Good Luck! (also order some LeWedge wedges ) - available at excel sports in Boulder (online)

Good Luck!

Sandy
08-11-2004, 08:27 AM
How about the position of the cleats on your shoes? Do you still ride the old bike at all? I would ride both bikes back to back on the same route in the same shoes and see if the problem exists now on both bikes. If so, then it is not the new bike. If not, then I would look at the new bike and compare the fit of the two. Crankarm length, KOP, seat height, seat angle,....

Sandy

I would certainly be curious to know if your problem is unique to the Legend.

va rider
08-11-2004, 09:00 AM
I recently had the same problem with new shoes (Sidis G4) and new look pedals. Replacing the various components will not help, this issue relates to nerve compression in the foot.

I changed my cleat position and adjusted my saddle a little and bingo, no problem.

If that did not work, I was prepared to go either orthotics or custom shoes.

drd
08-11-2004, 10:58 AM
I also have a problem where my feet fall asleep while riding. Unfortunately my shoes don't fit me well and I have it on my "to do" list to replace them soon. My feet seem fine when I'm just cruising along, but they fall asleep almost immediately if I ride hard.

What, specifically, have you guys done with cleat position and seat position to help? I'll get new shoes as a first step, but if they don't fix the problem it'd be nice to know how to fiddle with those things as a next step

Thanks
Doug

scooter01
08-11-2004, 11:15 AM
This is all greast advice, I have just set up another bike fitting with a not so local Serotta dealer. I have moved the cleats around and changed from the Look to Speedplays now, no change.

I think it's in my fit, my chiropractor thinks its in my bike, my trainier in my back posistion and my wife in my head.
I have no problems with orto's what's another 400 or so I dropped twice that for an extra set of wheels! My fitting is Friday, i willride this weekend and see how that goes.

va rider
08-11-2004, 12:22 PM
Good Luck Scoot.

Doug - I ended up moving my cleats a little forward and slightly in and that pretty much took care of the problem.

Now, though, I have a finger that will go numb every now and then. I am pretty sure that has nothing to do with moving the cleats.

I think I would go with orthotics or maybe the specialized insole before I bought new shoes.

shinomaster
08-11-2004, 01:19 PM
how tight are you tightening the velcro? Unless you are racing or sprintin you don't need it super tight all the time! If you over tighten you will compress your arch and hurt your footsie, and create hot spots.

Ahneida Ride
08-11-2004, 05:59 PM
Perhaps .... your feet are sleepwalking ??????
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dekonick
08-11-2004, 08:49 PM
Good point Shino!

personally, I dont consider $400 for foot heath to be an issue. Yall gotta remember that numb hands can be given rest... but no matter what you do if you want to have mobility ye must use dem feet! (Unless you work a great deal out on a Jazie Scooter (sp?)....LOL )

Keep de feets happy! Happy feets = happy back = happy you!

purdon de bad gremer - but I's drnkn sum gud win. Yum. :p

MadRocketSci
08-11-2004, 11:09 PM
my podiatrist and a local fitter both recommended moving my time impact cleats back. I moved them as far as they could go, made sure that my straps weren't tight, and concentrated on smoothing out my pedaling stroke and pulling up a bit when I started to feel some numbness. I've been able to avoid any more numbness...i had it pretty bad for a while. Issue was compressed nerve also...

Too Tall
08-12-2004, 06:05 AM
Scooter, I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV. Your symptoms sound an awful lot like beginnings of nerve damage caused by tight shoes. Typically it is either a tight toe box pinching from the sides OR tight straps thru the arch and less often a cleat placement issue.

IF you have a pair of shoes you can sacrifice I'd ask you to consider cutting out the entire toe box and riding that way for a couple weeks!!! I'm serious. Eliminate the pressure and heal up. Alternately, go back to pedals with straps and clips.

Dekonick
08-12-2004, 09:33 AM
TT has an interesting suggestion. Your feet are pretty derned important - just ask any diabetic who didnt take care of their footsies and now have stumps. (no - numbness wont result in an amputation...at least I dont think it will... :no: )

Do whatever it takes to have comfy feet. :help:

dave.delano
08-13-2004, 11:39 AM
As a long-time runner and Tri-athlete, I notice that my feet keep getting wider and bike shoes stay narrow. As far as I know, all bike shoes are made on european (narrow) lasts without regard to the vast American market of big feet. I have tried the Sidi Mega (the leather uuper shrank two sizes in a season) , The Lake wide model (those babies are HUGE), and am currently using the wide version of the R151 from Shimano, which work fine, tho I have to use ultra-thin socks or go sockless.

As long as I'm on the subject, I'd REALLLY like to see a wide tri shoe. Wish some of our US mfrs would step up and fill the void.

scooter01
08-16-2004, 08:47 AM
Thanks to all for the great advice.
I did get a fitting this past friday at he closest Serotta dealer. Iwas amazedthat we spent so much time2 1/2 hours! I was very very impressed with the technician that I worked with. Although the changes we made seam very small, I think the results willbe big.
We moved my seat 1 cm, adjusted my shoes, added wedges tothe cleats, changed my handle bars ( this has nothing to due with my feet) replace my stem, and spent some time reviewing my form.
This was well worth the time it took, I wishthat I had done this a lot earlier.
Since I live in NC the weather has not cooperated yet for a good ride.
I found it really interesting that she tol me NOT to go out and bliste a long ride off. But just to opposite take a easy short ride first!