PDA

View Full Version : Calfee Tetra vs Serotta HSG IT

kc1431
01-15-2008, 05:49 PM
I have the opportunity buy either the Calfee Tetra or a Serotta HSG IT. Which would you buy and why?

1centaur
01-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Let's see if I can guess every answer you'll get:

Either, they're both good bikes
Whichever fits better
The Serotta, because the homer crowd is strong
The Serotta, because some metal is better than none
The Calfee, because CF is better
I love my Serotta.
I love my Calfee.
Whichever is cheaper, assuming it fits.
Whichever one has the geometry that serves the purpose you seek.

Then there will be a few really weird, random answers, probably with pictures.

Did I miss any?

jimcav
01-15-2008, 06:05 PM
My personal experience was my calfee tetra pro was among the most comfortable rides ever over the roads, but the BB was very flexy. i had chain rub climbing with record alloy, FSA carbon, and then record carbon. It just annoyed me at that point i gave up and sold it to get the crumpton i have now.
of course your weight and all may make that moot, but one may be more suited to what you like or not have what you dislike. even in that rarified air, you have lots of choices of other great custom and production bikes

is this random or weird, if so nevermind

jim

djg
01-15-2008, 06:40 PM
I have my no effin idea. I've been loving my HSG Ti, which is not on the menu and who cares what I like anyway? I saw an HSG carbon at the LBS and it looked hot, hot, hot, like Paris Hilton wishes she was on the days when she's feeling really good about herself, but folks like Calfee and so there ya go...

I like the idea of Serotta's crash protection policy too, but not everybody cares.

DarrenCT
01-15-2008, 06:56 PM
fyi, i had a calfee tetra pro and loved it. no bb rub with my 150lbs

im sure both are great. get da 1 that fits

Homsie
01-15-2008, 06:59 PM
My personal experience was my calfee tetra pro was among the most comfortable rides ever over the roads, but the BB was very flexy. i had chain rub climbing with record alloy, FSA carbon, and then record carbon. It just annoyed me at that point i gave up and sold it to get the crumpton i have now.
of course your weight and all may make that moot, but one may be more suited to what you like or not have what you dislike. even in that rarified air, you have lots of choices of other great custom and production bikes

is this random or weird, if so nevermind

jim

Jim, just out of curiosity, what size frame was it and how much do you weigh?

Thanks,

James

rnhood
01-15-2008, 07:50 PM
My Calfee Tetra is a 62 and, the BB doesn't flex one iota - even when mashing my 200 lb weight going uphill - and cross chained to boot. It does have the extra stiff tubes which likely helps with its stiffness though. I sometimes think its almost too stiff with 23 tires but, on smooth roads or, with 25 ProRace tires the ride is knocking on the door of perfection.

I've had it 6 years now and, am in the market for a new bike, and will buy one, when I find one I like better.

duke
01-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Get one of each. I did, sorta. (Ottrott and Dragonfly) Love em both.
duke

sellsworth
01-15-2008, 09:10 PM
I have a Concours and a Tetra Custom. I love them both and each is better than I deserve. I have basically given the Concours over to my wife since it is a bit small for me. If each fit the same and I had to get rid of one it would probably be the Concours because I like the feel of carbon, but I might change my mind the next time that I'm out on the Concours.

kerrycycle
01-15-2008, 09:32 PM
What is your intent? If you plan on racing it, the HSG is probably the better choice, as the geometry is VERY aggressive and stiff. I love my HSG carbon (see some of my previous replies about HSGs). If you want a more comfortable, yet still a good fast frame, the Calfee is probably your bet.

Either choice is a winner!

taxman
01-15-2008, 09:53 PM
You have one reply that mentions the HSG TI and one that mentions the Carbon.
A couple guys on my club team raced the frame you ask about - HSG IT - successfully in 2007. I did a couple events as well. We all loved the frame in crits and RR. We probably had a range of sizes from 56 - 58 (me) and 60. Not the lightest ride but very nice.
Can't go wrong.

Sailorma
01-15-2008, 09:57 PM
I love my Calfee Tetra and have zero bottom bracket flex and I am a clyesdale 6'1" 230 lbs. Albeit it was built with "extra stiff " tubing.

jimcav
01-16-2008, 12:04 AM
Jim, just out of curiosity, what size frame was it and how much do you weigh?

Thanks,

James

i weighed 158 to 165 during the time i had it.
obviously not representative, from the replies, but i can say the chainstays and BB APPEARED more delicate than some bikes i have had since--although i am sure that a beefy stay and BB is no guarantee of anything.
of course i'm a guy who would actually buy and ride a bamboo calfee if i ever got another calfee.

jim

Volant
01-16-2008, 08:36 AM
You have one reply that mentions the HSG TI and one that mentions the Carbon.
A couple guys on my club team raced the frame you ask about - HSG IT - successfully in 2007. I did a couple events as well. We all loved the frame in crits and RR. We probably had a range of sizes from 56 - 58 (me) and 60. Not the lightest ride but very nice.
Can't go wrong.

I'll 2nd the weight claim; not the lightest. But, a nice quick-handling frame. Tamed mine down a little with a 40mm rake up front. Feels right.

bostondrunk
01-16-2008, 09:07 AM
Tetra Pro was the best frame I've ever owned, IMHO. My weight ranged from high 160's to mid 180's while I owned it, and I never experienced any BB flex.

Climb01742
01-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Tetra Pro was the best frame I've ever owned, IMHO. My weight ranged from high 160's to mid 180's while I owned it, and I never experienced any BB flex.

BD, why did you get rid of it? how did it compare to your extreme power?

bostondrunk
01-16-2008, 10:02 AM
BD, why did you get rid of it? how did it compare to your extreme power?

Hard to make a comparison since I got the EP a few years after selling the Tetra. I sold it just to try something different. I miss it!
It was light, comfy, didn't flex, and not too many of them around compared to other brands. I'm probably not qualified to comment on any other attributes of it.