PDA

View Full Version : American Classic Carbon

bluto
01-15-2008, 02:53 PM
I've got an opportunity to purchase some American Classic Carbon 58's. The person selling them is unsure of whether a regular brake pad can be used or not. (he's always used carbon pads) I "think" that AC builds their wheels with Zipp rim's (which have the impregnated ceramic surface) but i just want to get a definite yes/no from anyone who's had experience with these wheels.

I have run a SEARCH for this question but have not gotten an answer so I apologize if it's been asked, and appreciate any insight that someone might be able to lend.

Thanks in advance.

Fixed
01-15-2008, 03:04 PM
call ellen kast at a.c. she will set you up with the right pads
cheers
BRAKE PAD RECOMMENDATIONS
American Classic recommends a soft brake pad compound such as all-weather/wet weather brake pads for use with all our aluminum and 2007 magnesium rims. We do not recommend the use of Shimano brake pads on our aluminum and 2007 magnesium rims because they are too hard. American Classic recommends carbon specific brake pads for use on our carbon wheels.

bluto
01-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Thanks fixed!!........BUT, don't all carbon wheel manufacturers 'recomend' carbon pads as some sort of disclaimer???

I just want a racing wheel that i don't have to swap the pads out everytime race days comes and i thought these would fit the bill....

Fixed
01-15-2008, 03:18 PM
shook told me stuff on your reg. pads can dig into a carbon rim
cheers :beer:

jimcav
01-15-2008, 03:28 PM
swissstop yellow work for both, although many don't like letting the same pads touch both.

jim

chrisroph
01-15-2008, 04:20 PM
get an extra 2 pair of pad holders and put on carbon specific pads. change the holders with the wheels, at least if you expect to do much braking. if you're doing a crit, you ain't going to be using your brakes much and can get away with not changing holders if you're lazy.

weiwentg
01-15-2008, 04:39 PM
I've got an opportunity to purchase some American Classic Carbon 58's. The person selling them is unsure of whether a regular brake pad can be used or not. (he's always used carbon pads) I "think" that AC builds their wheels with Zipp rim's (which have the impregnated ceramic surface) but i just want to get a definite yes/no from anyone who's had experience with these wheels.

I have run a SEARCH for this question but have not gotten an answer so I apologize if it's been asked, and appreciate any insight that someone might be able to lend.

Thanks in advance.

when the front hub weighed 68g and the rear weighed about 230, the rear hub was crap. when they lightened the hubs even further, I'm sure the durability didn't improve any. I had a 230g rear hub that seized up completely. the 68g front hub was ok, not so sure about the 58g hub.

bluto
01-15-2008, 04:46 PM
when the front hub weighed 68g and the rear weighed about 230, the rear hub was crap. when they lightened the hubs even further, I'm sure the durability didn't improve any. I had a 230g rear hub that seized up completely. the 68g front hub was ok, not so sure about the 58g hub.

ouch, good to know.

Thanks