PDA

View Full Version : OT: New Apple laptop--"Macbook Air"

BumbleBeeDave
01-15-2008, 01:30 PM
I think this guy has made a deal with the devil to keep coming up with stuff that is just so undeniably cool . . .

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/

BBD

dauwhe
01-15-2008, 01:33 PM
It's so cool that I feel I'm not cool enough to even want one. This proves you can be too rich and too thin :cool:

I'm more excited by the iPod Touch update, which adds most of the iPhone features to the iPod Touch (google maps, mail, etc.).

Dave

Ginger
01-15-2008, 01:42 PM
Now that may have just convinced me I need a laptop.

The one I lug around for work had convinced me that I don't.

DarrenCT
01-15-2008, 01:51 PM
this looks pretty sweet although i dunno if id ever use all those cool functions...

BumbleBeeDave
01-15-2008, 01:54 PM
. . . battery endurance. But I'm sure there will be planty of lab tests very soon . . .

BBD

gt6267a
01-15-2008, 01:58 PM
it looks like a straight up bad azz.

i have a 12" powerbook and need just a little more space, it has the 13.3 which is probably enough.

it def passes the weight weenie and aesthetic appeal tests.

a few drawbacks -
i wish it had the pro keyboard.
no ethernet port. you want a wire, get a dongle. ouch.
no cdrom / dvd drive. get yourself a docking station or use that external drive software.
no memory upgrade - though maybe with 2gs who needs one?

the ssd looks super sexy but it almost costs a set of carbones. dude, that's not a drive upgrade, that's a machine of its own. i am sure performance numbers will come out for the 64gb drive and am very curious to see how it does. when the beast is only $100 upgrade, i'll bite.

pdxmech13
01-15-2008, 02:01 PM
no fire wire port ?

blue tooth is the demise of human civilazation.

rwsaunders
01-15-2008, 03:14 PM
. . . battery endurance. But I'm sure there will be planty of lab tests very soon . . .

BBD

A hot topic of many of the customers at Curves.

deechee
01-15-2008, 03:17 PM
the battery is non consumer replaceable. zzz.

MarleyMon
01-15-2008, 03:18 PM
my first thought is "flimsy"

battery life advertised as 5 hrs, so 3.5 maybe?

weiwentg
01-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Macbook = Shimano
Macbook Pro = SRAM
Macbook Air = Campagnolo

:banana:

edit: PS, I'd wait for the second year's version. I've got the first version of the Macbook Pro. I've had a few problems - the infamous whine, the keyboard died once, the screen develops smudges. plus the processor works very slowly with MS office 2004. I hear the Core 2 Duos work a lot better, and office vista for mac has come out anyway, so the last point is a little moot.

maunahaole
01-15-2008, 03:40 PM
With the overall lack of connectivity, it almost makes it a really big PDA. My worry, aside from those that have already been mentioned, would be thermal management. How is the heat being taken from the CPU? Is the chassis the heatsink? If so, do yo want to sit that on your lap?

jpw
01-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Just style over substance, a mere toy, don't be fleeced. Buy a Thinkpad.

Is it called Air because there's nothing tangible there? :-)

"........don't believe the hype"........ ba boom boom.

jpw
01-15-2008, 03:47 PM
I think this guy has made a deal with the devil to keep coming up with stuff that is just so undeniably cool . . .

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/

BBD

Nice picture (in the first post of this thread) - the two-faced techno Janus who will part you from your hard earned money. I'd rather buy a Serotta.

saab2000
01-15-2008, 03:50 PM
The iPod Touch does seem pretty cool. Don't like being saddled to pay Wi-Fi in the airports though.

I left AT&T despite my lust for an iPhone. But it seems like the iPod Touch does virtually all of the same stuff just without a phone. Neat.

My Alltel plan with virtually unlimited calling means I need no land line. AT&T didn't offer something even close.

That MacBook Air does little for me though. I want a Mac Book Pro. With Parallels.

avalonracing
01-15-2008, 03:52 PM
Cool!
So when is Microsoft just going to give up?
Oh wait... I think they did years ago.

BTW- The honeymoon isn't over... I'm still thrilled with my iPhone.

BumbleBeeDave
01-15-2008, 04:07 PM
. . . edit: PS, I'd wait for the second year's version.

I posted it because it's uber cool, but anything like this there always seem to be compromises made in the name of marketing--get the thing out the door and start recouping the R&D investment. Then the second version addresses some of the obvious shortcomings.

BBD

zeroking17
01-15-2008, 04:11 PM
I posted it because it's uber cool, but anything like this there always seem to be compromises made in the name of marketing--get the thing out the door and start recouping the R&D investment. Then the second version addresses some of the obvious shortcomings.

BBD

Gotta agree.

p.s. I'm waiting for PocketProtector 2.0

gt6267a
01-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Gotta agree.

p.s. I'm waiting for PocketProtector 2.0

nice self-portrait. that took a lot of guts to post on the internet. mad props my friend, mad props.

zeroking17
01-15-2008, 04:16 PM
nice self-portrait. that took a lot of guts to post on the internet. mad props my friend, mad props.

Thanks. If ya got it, flaunt it, I always say.

P.S. Just so you don't think I'm showing off and all that, be advised that it was "safari casual" day at the office.

Crazy Chris
01-15-2008, 04:51 PM
The Apple is so fast I cannot believe it, even when compared to our Toshiba laptop with the odd Microsoft. Just like my bike, I almost cannot keep up with it.

Prosit