PDA

View Full Version : OT: Now this is tragic.

ti_boi
01-14-2008, 10:04 PM
The carrier M/V Courage tipped at the port in Jersey City on Friday causing damage to over 370 BMWs. The ship was loaded with new 3-series and 1-series vehicles, including new M3s. Around 70 of the damaged cars are reported to be total losses with others sustaining major damage. Word is that the M3s bared the brunt of the brutality. Extensively damaged cars will be crushed while those with minor damage will undergo repair at a receiving facility in Elizabeth, NJ, after which they will proceed onto dealers. Bimmers destined for European delivery customers were also on board, although it's not clear how those buyers will be handled in the wake of the incident.

This is a particularly harsh hit to BMW in terms of the new M3 and even more so for the owners awaiting their new V8-powered uber-coupes. We'd expect this unfortunately event will lead to an extension of the waiting period many potential customers will have to endure. It also means many dealerships are out of luck for a demo car. With the M3's competition coming on strong from the likes of Lexus, Cadillac and Mercedes one can only imagine this sort of setback might steer away a few potential buyers.

Louis
01-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Yup, I'm feeling reeeely sorry for all those investment fund managers on the Street who won't be getting that Bimmer next week after all.

ti_boi
01-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Yup, I'm feeling reeeely sorry for all those investment fund managers on the Street who won't be getting that Bimmer next week after all.

You gotta admit that is some gorgeous machinery to be crushed. :(

Grant McLean
01-14-2008, 10:15 PM

i agree.

waste is waste, and this is a huge waste.

I think there are many shipping containers on the bottom of the sea,
they slip off the decks, or so the rumors go.

-g

Samster
01-14-2008, 10:23 PM
ouch. beautiful cars...

slowgoing
01-14-2008, 10:34 PM
some insurance executive is having a few sleepless nights.

avalonracing
01-14-2008, 10:37 PM
[QUOTE=Louis]Yup, I'm feeling reeeely sorry for all those investment fund managers on the Street who won't be getting that Bimmer next week after all.[/QUOT

And just think about all the poor kids of the hedge fund managers who will have to keep driving their '07 M3s.

Grant McLean
01-14-2008, 10:38 PM

not as tragic as this one:

-g

Bruce K
01-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Grant;

Your timing on posting that particular photo is quite "Twilight Zone".

I was talking with Ron Kiefel from Wheatridge Cyclery today and he told me that Davis was out cycling the other day near his home in Colorado on a beater bike when he hit a patch of black ice and fell, breaking his wrist.

Too wierd....

BK

Grant McLean
01-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Grant;

Your timing on posting that particular photo is quite "Twilight Zone".

I was talking with Ron Kiefel from Wheatridge Cyclery today and he told me that Davis was out cycling the other day near his home in Colorado on a beater bike when he hit a patch of black ice and fell, breaking his wrist.

Too wierd....

BK

that's spooky, eh?
the Phinney crash photo was linked on the classic rendezvous forum across
the hall the other day... i hope it wasn't the day he crashed!

-g

t. swartz
01-15-2008, 03:55 AM
if those was porsches sandy would be on suicide watch :help:

DarrenCT
01-15-2008, 04:19 AM

bingo.

u r exactly right. :beer:

BumbleBeeDave
01-15-2008, 06:49 AM

I'm crying huge tears right now. My keyboard is getting soaked! :rolleyes:

BBD

Erik.Lazdins
01-15-2008, 07:41 AM
Back in 2000 a shipment of Penfolds Grange was inadvertently left out long enough for all the wine inside to cook - a total loss. I don't recall the quantity but it was a significant portion of the US allocation of Grange for that year.

pjm
01-15-2008, 07:56 AM
Yeah, BMW will repair the cars with "minor" damage and sell them as brand new. :rolleyes:

ti_boi
01-15-2008, 08:03 AM
Yeah, BMW will repair the cars with "minor" damage and sell them as brand new. :rolleyes:

Ouch. I was thinking that -- hmmmm.

Tony Edwards
01-15-2008, 08:14 AM
[QUOTE=Louis]Yup, I'm feeling reeeely sorry for all those investment fund managers on the Street who won't be getting that Bimmer next week after all.[/QUOT

And just think about all the poor kids of the hedge fund managers who will have to keep driving their '07 M3s.

Forgive me for being pedantic, but there wasn't a 2007 M3.

ThasFACE
01-15-2008, 09:20 AM
I love BMW, but this doesn't hurt me that much. Pretty much all of the Bangle-era designs are so repellant (the new M Coupe being a rare exception) that even the prodigious performance prowess of the new cars isn't enough to make me even think about buying one. It's a damn shame too since pretty much every BMW made in the pre-bUngle era was gorgeous (my favorites being the e36 M3 and the e39 M5).

Hopefully BMWNA takes this as a sign from the car gods to extract some of the suck from the current BMW aesthetic.

davids
01-15-2008, 09:20 AM
More of a bummer than a tragedy, atmo.

Industrial products, and all replaceable. BMW is almost certainly totally insured. The only impact is that customers will have to wait longer for their cars. And my guess is that the folks buying these have other ways of getting around...

torquer
01-15-2008, 09:59 AM
The ship was loaded with new 3-series and 1-series vehicles, including new M3s.

According to Edmunds.com & Autoweek, 1-series weren't supposed to go on sale until spring as 2009 models.

V-8 M3s are fine, no doubt, but from what I've been reading the 1 series with the 300 hp twin turbo is da bomb! If you missed the 2002tii the first time around, BMW is reputedly giving us a second bite at the small-car/high performance apple.

ti_boi
01-15-2008, 10:08 AM
According to Edmunds.com & Autoweek, 1-series weren't supposed to go on sale until spring as 2009 models.

V-8 M3s are fine, no doubt, but from what I've been reading the 1 series with the 300 hp twin turbo is da bomb! If you missed the 2002tii the first time around, BMW is reputedly giving us a second bite at the small-car/high performance apple.

Yes indeed.....if anyone has had the pleasure of stomping down on the 335 motor....(which I actually have in 6 speed and automatic as loaners) the motor is 'nascar' hi-po V-8 in nature.....just launches and keep going....lose your license fast...I tell ya.

PaulE
01-15-2008, 10:16 AM
In Woodcliff Lake, NJ (BMW US headquarters town) on Sunday. It was white which is never my choice of color for a car but it looked sweet.

I remember a train wreck in the late 70's near Port Jervis, NY. The train in question had a couple of car carriers filled with new Corvette Indy Pace Car replicas that were "totalled" and had to be scrapped. Well the cars were scrapped at a local metal scrap yard, but not everythng went into the crusher. If you wanted a set of wheels and tires, an engine or other major components, they were available.

I am sure things are more tightly controlled today, but it would make sense for BMW to hang on to the engines, transmissions and other major items for warranty replacement parts. Because some of these hedge fund managers will have their engines and transmissions crap out even though they were "just riding along!"

David Kirk
01-15-2008, 11:07 AM
not as tragic as this one:

-g

This bike was in the attic at Serotta for years until we moved. I found it up there while looking for something else. It was gruesome with "stuff" all over it. It got tossed when we moved as I recall.

Not pretty.

Dave