PDA

View Full Version : WTB- entire bike... piece by piece... for little or no money

avalonracing
01-13-2008, 05:06 PM
I love the classifieds here. They are about the coolest bike classifieds going as this is a relatively well-heeled, bike educated group. Some of the deals are darn good and the swag can be eclectic.
But does anyone else get annoyed by the omnipresent 'WTB' posts? It seems like there are some people who need every part on the bike and expect someone on the forum to supply them. Does someone think, "Hey, I just found a shiny NOS Campy seat binder bolt in the back of my tool box. Maybe I'll see if the guys in the Serotta forum have the rest of the parts so I can build up a mint condition, vintage road racing machine.

Right now there is someone requesting a whole bunch of 1" headset spacers (in multiple colors... and or titanium) for three bikes he is building up. The forum members helpfully gave him a number of links of where to find them but he said that he would rather try here. If you need a couple of odds and ends or something unique I understand posting for that but for an inexpensive and widely available part and enough three bikes at a time?
(Sorry to single anyone out, really, I am, but it works to illustrate my point)

If no one else sees some of the WTB posts as kinda silly I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make a big deal of it. And if that is the case I would also like to add that if anyone has multiple HSG Ti frames with 57cm top tubes I'll take them for very little money as I have a water bottle cages that would work perfectly on them.

capybaras
01-13-2008, 05:18 PM
No offense but I love the classifieds here. Most things are reasonably priced at worst and a fantastic deal at best - and lots of people hoard stuff with no use for it and it is nice if someone actually wants it. If only someone would post WTBs for all the random stuff in my basement...

scrubadub
01-13-2008, 05:35 PM
I see it as a nice way to encourage recycling and reuse.

mschol17
01-13-2008, 05:37 PM
There is a level of trust on the board, which makes it easier/less worrisome to buy from members here rather than on Ebay.
Plus, people around here have good taste and generally have cool stuff at good prices....

markie
01-13-2008, 05:38 PM
I kinda like the WTB adds. I have enjoyed finding stuff for people and having stuff found for me. :)

dave thompson
01-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Silly question. Why would anyone get annoyed at a WTB posting? Most of us, myself included, have things laying around and may be more than happy to provide them to someone who needs it, for money or karma.

konstantkarma
01-13-2008, 06:19 PM
but how much coffee have you had today?

avalonracing
01-13-2008, 07:01 PM
but how much coffee have you had today?

Obviously not enough. That said...

WTB- Does anyone know where I can get some very inexpensive coffee or do you have any sitting around in the bottom of your coffee pots that you aren't planning to use. I have a few travel mugs that I need to fill :D

Okay, I'm taking some heat about this here but I've gotten a couple of humorous and candid PMs from people who agree.

Hey, I'm all about reusing and recycling... Especially with bike stuff. I give parts to friends, I've build up bikes and sold them (for the money that I have into them) to people I don't know and when I sell my personal stuff I try to sell it for what it is really worth... instead of 15% off retail for a set of cranks with 18,000 miles on it.

I was just trying to point out something before I see a post: "WTB- 700c inner tubes. I need four. Does anyone know where I can get some?"

Ken Robb
01-13-2008, 07:03 PM
I think we do often help each other out and that's a wonderful thing but it seems just a little off to ask folks to find, pack and mail some little items that most shops have lots of for very little $$$. It's not a big deal but I can see the OP's point. :)

dave thompson
01-13-2008, 07:33 PM
I think we do often help each other out and that's a wonderful thing but it seems just a little off to ask folks to find, pack and mail some little items that most shops have lots of for very little $$$. It's not a big deal but I can see the OP's point. :)
I was going to mail you that Atlanta frameset I have just hanging around, but not now!

rwsaunders
01-13-2008, 07:53 PM
I've located obscure parts on the Forum and supplied others as well, using the WTB format. Especially since most of the shops and catalogs and shops don't stock the older Shimano 9 speed parts. Ebay sucks for the most part in this category imho.

PacNW2Ford
01-13-2008, 08:15 PM

I agree with Ken. Sometimes I think it comes from people being so used to prepackaged, all or nothing assemblies, they don't realize that the small parts are readily available.

toaster
01-13-2008, 08:35 PM
WTB stands for Wanted to B!tch.

konstantkarma
01-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Well, if it's coffee you want, and you are in Baltimore, come on up to Bayview. We always have a fresh pot of the local Bluebird roast available. I also have a bunch of presta stem caps you can have for your new build. :)

Obviously not enough. That said...

WTB- Does anyone know where I can get some very inexpensive coffee or do you have any sitting around in the bottom of your coffee pots that you aren't planning to use. I have a few travel mugs that I need to fill :D

Okay, I'm taking some heat about this here but I've gotten a couple of humorous and candid PMs from people who agree.

Hey, I'm all about reusing and recycling... Especially with bike stuff. I give parts to friends, I've build up bikes and sold them (for the money that I have into them) to people I don't know and when I sell my personal stuff I try to sell it for what it is really worth... instead of 15% off retail for a set of cranks with 18,000 miles on it.

I was just trying to point out something before I see a post: "WTB- 700c inner tubes. I need four. Does anyone know where I can get some?"