PDA

View Full Version : womens shorts

malcolm
08-09-2004, 08:46 PM
Any recommendations?

rwl
08-09-2004, 08:59 PM
Malcom? What are chances of any of us getting in women's shorts? But, if you must, I know several that like Castelli Donnas. -- Rick

jerk
08-09-2004, 09:22 PM
if you want to get into a woman's shorts....oops wrong message board.

the missus loves the giordana women's tenax shorts.....the jerk loves'em too. muscle compression is the bestest. it really works.

M_A_Martin
08-09-2004, 09:26 PM
Hey, guys borrow my clothes all the time...*sometimes* its even cycling stuff! Maybe you guys just ask the wrong girls?

I have yet to try the Castellis however I did just get a pair of the Craft women's shorts with elastic chamois (picked them up at Terry bicycles) and I like them a lot. I have a couple hundred miles on them so far. We'll see how they respond to taking an accidental spin in the dryer. It may have been a very expensive mistake on my part. I don't know how they ended up in the same load as jeans... They have turned around my opinion of women's cycling shorts.

The Craft shorts have opened up my wallet to the field of shorts as the high end makers move to put the elastic chamois technology into women's shorts. Women's old style baseball cut chamois are just wrong (stitching there? Why not just wear underwear and get the chaffing over with?) Generally if the choice is a mid range men's short and a high end women's short with the baseball stitching, I'll take the men's short. The chamois isn't as padded and the stitching isn't in the wrong place for me.

I do NOT like the Pearl Izumi high end women's chamois. They do a better job with their men's shorts. Louis Garneau women's chamois isn't that great either unless you like a LOT of padding, most like wearing a diaper that I've ever had. Some people like that. Shebeest minimal padding, not great, but they have good short-shorts if you want a higher tan line. Pace shorts (mostly team clothing I guess) have a nice women's chamois, but I haven't found any of those in blackwear, only in tour clothes.

Voler has a pretty good women's chamois. In fact, most of my shorts were Voler before I had to replace them due to overuse and age. (think old old shorts...elastic doesn't live forever)

The Jerk makes a good point that I forgot to mention originally. Many makers make women's shorts short (show more leg, better tan line, whatever) but that puts the elastic part way up the leg and doesn't allow for muscle compression all the way to the knee like a good pair of longer shorts does. I'll have to try those too! I never have understood why if compression is good for men's muscles, why don't they apply the same theory to women's shorts...I'll take improved performance over slightly less goofy tan lines any time!

There...women's shorts...you asked.

jerk
08-09-2004, 09:36 PM
m.a.- you know what? i don't know any woman who can average above twenty miles an hour who likes pearl izumi women's shorts. the jerk is in the minority in thinking their men's shorts are overpriced garbage years behind the high end offerings form the likes of giordana, assos and even castelli but still...ithink women a re a touch more body aware when it comes to clothing and shoes....ask any high-end bike shop which sex it is easier to sell 400 dollar pair of northwave shoes to and i think you'll find it's the fairer of the two....

itsalldark
08-09-2004, 10:15 PM
We sell most of the brands mentioned in this thred, and the womens short that has outsold everything in the shop this season is Terry!

Kevan
08-10-2004, 06:59 AM
Sandy would know best. :D

M_A_Martin
08-10-2004, 07:29 AM
Terry has an up because they're a women's line of shorts. They have some cool styles in the non-lycra side of the world.
Women seem to think that a women's line of shorts should be really good...Terry's regular chamois has the baseball stitching, its a bit flimsy, I'm not a fan of Terry shorts with that chamois for any rides over 40 miles.

I have however, picked up a pair of their Terry Longs with ultimate chamois. I'll be riding in them the next few weeks...I'll let you know what I think...They certainly are long...almost knickers...and the muscle compression seems good, but I haven't tried them out on any long rides; and that's where I can tell what I think of a pair of shorts.

Jerk: You're right. Guys will ride shorts until the shorts are see through. EWWW. $400 shoes? HEY I resemble that remark! (I tried Northwaves years ago when people used to say "Northwave? what are those" and I didn't like them then...)

malcolm
08-10-2004, 08:58 AM
They are for the wife, yeah that's it. Thanks for the info, she hasn't liked her pearl izumis. I use giordana and love them, she got a pair of laser tenax and the chamois is completely different from the mens although I guess that is to be expected. Anyway thanks again.

mso
08-11-2004, 02:47 PM
I find the Castelli Donna to run on the large size otherwise comfortable, but if you wear a small, it'll probably be to large. As for PI, I'm a woman who can average over 20MPH and find the Microsensor to fit the best. The Chamois are comfortable, wick mositure and they have an XS :banana:

Assos - Looked at a pair this weekend, very pricy, however, have not used an Assos short since the late 80's, chamois have definetly changed for the better. They fit nice. I'm waiting for an internet sale.

SManning
08-11-2004, 03:57 PM
I also like the Pearl Izumi Microsensor shorts. They fit me very well (no saggy butt) and the chamois is comfortable.

I might have to try some of the others mentioned. I noticed that one of my PI's weren't looking so good the other day.