PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your spare air ?

Louis
01-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Wondering what most folks are using these days.

WadePatton
01-12-2008, 08:54 PM
I voted CO2, but I've only used it once. Haven't had a road flat since I went with kevlar belted tyres.

I carry a mini in the pack and CO2 under the saddle off road.

Blue Jays
01-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Some of us carry a Genuine Innovations Ultraflate Plus (http://www.genuineinnovations.com/bikeprods.aspx?prodid=1003) or similar, spare 16-gram cartridges while others in our group carry a traditional frame pump.
That mix gives us maximum speed/flexibility for fixing flats at the side of the road. We all carry sufficient spare tubes.

brians647
01-12-2008, 09:21 PM
I voted CO2, but I've only used it once. Haven't had a road flat since I went with kevlar belted tyres.

I carry a mini in the pack and CO2 under the saddle off road.

where do you live, and what tires do you use?

Erik.Lazdins
01-12-2008, 09:27 PM
CO2 on the Serotta, a full frame pump on the Riv.

bigbill
01-12-2008, 09:56 PM
Mini pump on the frame. I used CO2 when I was commuting and racing in Hawaii. CO2 is way faster if you flat on the way to work or in a bad area. When I transferred to Italy, I couldn't take my CO2 cartridges and I couldn't mail order them. I started carrying a minipump but I never got a flat while riding in Europe. I will go back to CO2 when I start commuting next month.

Ginger
01-12-2008, 10:05 PM
I carry 2-3 CO2 carts in the saddle bag and a mid size frame mounted pump. Not a frame pump though. Very sad.

The CO2 is in case I flat somewhere I don't want to "be" very long, or just want to pump up the tire and see if I can ride out to somewhere more ummmmm "safe" to change the tire...or when pumping someone else's tires.

I've been on relatively short rides where I've used all of my CO2 carts on other people's bikes and still had to use the patches and frame pump

ericspin
01-13-2008, 08:14 AM
I carry a Topeak somethineruther Morph. Yeah it's a little bulky but it's got a gauge and a little thingy that flips out to stand on while you pump which keeps the whole mess steady. I keep telling myself it's too big but every time I use it i change my mind...........love it.

tv_vt
01-13-2008, 09:33 AM
I still like the full-size frame pump. I really like frames that come with the pump peg. Forget about seeing one of those on most high end frames. That nod to practicality has all but disappeared. Too bad if you ask me.

You get a flat, you pump up the spare tube. No CO2 cartridge to throw away, no half-hour flailing (sp?) away with a mini-pump.

That said, I need to get a mini-pump for a new frame (w/no pump peg). Recommendations?

Thom

Ti Designs
01-13-2008, 09:34 AM
I tow a craftsman 4HP compressor with an 11 gallon tank, 2 car Sears car batteries and a 4000 watt inverter in my Burley trailer. It makes me stronger and I can use the 600 Ft-Lb impact wrench to take off the bolt-on wheels on my fixed gear. Anyone who knows what I've transported with my trailer is thinking to themselves right now "yeh, I could see that..."

Doesn't the i-phone inflate tires?

sbornia
01-13-2008, 09:41 AM
I carry a Topeak somethineruther Morph. Yeah it's a little bulky but it's got a gauge and a little thingy that flips out to stand on while you pump which keeps the whole mess steady. I keep telling myself it's too big but every time I use it i change my mind...........love it.

+1 I have the "Road Morph" on one bike It's ugly as sin, but works really well.

On another bike, I have a tiny little Topeak attached to the bottle bosses, but all it's good for is getting the tube started. CO2 does the rest.

BumbleBeeDave
01-13-2008, 10:34 AM
I tow a craftsman 4HP compressor with an 11 gallon tank, 2 car Sears car batteries and a 4000 watt inverter in my Burley trailer. It makes me stronger and I can use the 600 Ft-Lb impact wrench to take off the bolt-on wheels on my fixed gear. Anyone who knows what I've transported with my trailer is thinking to themselves right now "yeh, I could see that..."

Doesn't the i-phone inflate tires?

. . . you don't make Barbara tow it? You are just TOO much of a gentleman . . .

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
01-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Usually an ultraflate head and two 16g cartridges in my seat bag. A whole 16g perfectly inflates a 700cx23 tire up to about 110 lbs. If I'm going to be on a longer ride--50-70 miles or more--I'll stick an extra tube and cartridge in my pocket. The CO2 is quick, easy once you get the hang of it, and much easir on the arms than standing there pumping with a mini=pump for, oh, 'bout an hour!
On the mtb, though, I have a mini frame pump, since that will easily pump an mtb tire up to the lower pressures they use.

BBD

A.L.Breguet
01-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Neither musical, nor a fruit.

nobrakes
01-13-2008, 11:18 AM
I gave up on frame pumps, etc., and now carry a full compressor in my saddle bag, along with my anvil, hammers, and acetaline torch. You never know...

SWorks4me
01-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Vittoria pit stop- atmo

KeithS
01-13-2008, 09:47 PM
I call my wife, she brings pump and spare tube. Or, as Blance Dubois once said, "...I've always depended on the kindness of strangers" or the guys I'm riding with.

max_powers
01-13-2008, 11:52 PM
Co2 cartridges not very green. the trash created and more Co2 injected into atmosphere. Pumped air cheaper and doesn't run out. Think!

A.L.Breguet
01-14-2008, 04:58 AM
Co2 cartridges not very green. the trash created and more Co2 injected into atmosphere. Pumped air cheaper and doesn't run out. Think!

++1
And how bout the a-holes that leave the spent cartridges and innertubes by the side of the road?

victoryfactory
01-14-2008, 07:58 AM
I HATE CO2
I hate the way they rattle around in my kit
I hate their cold, icy guts
I hate the crappy foul gas that they emit
I hate the 80 lbs of pressure they give if you are lucky enough
to get them to work
I hate the cost and the waste.
I hate the way they freeze up on the stem
I hate that empty feeling you get when you use your last one
on a long ride and you know you're without a backup.
Hate, Hate Hate......

Ahem....

Where was I?

I carry a crank bros mini pump in my jersey. The one with the gauge
and the 8" alum barrel. I've used it many times and it is no problem.

VF

jemoryl
01-14-2008, 08:07 AM

I suppose you are not a big fan of soda, beer or champagne?

Chad Engle
01-14-2008, 08:58 AM
If they made soda or beer that I could carbonate with my frame pump, it would be in my fridge. Regardless, that doesn't make co2 any greener.

I recycle all my cans, can you recycle a co2 cartridge?

Avispa
01-14-2008, 08:59 AM
I am just happy to say that after I switched (back) to Continental tires, I only get one or two flats per year! ;)

Well, unless I got to DBRK's Ramble.... But that's another 'hole story! :D :D

..A..

saab2000
01-14-2008, 09:04 AM
Frame Pump

junior2189
01-14-2008, 09:51 AM
i have been using CO2 but i am thinking of geting a frame pump of a back up.
JUNIOR

jemoryl
01-14-2008, 10:33 AM
If they made soda or beer that I could carbonate with my frame pump, it would be in my fridge. Regardless, that doesn't make co2 any greener.

I recycle all my cans, can you recycle a co2 cartridge?

CO2 cartridges are steel, so they could potentially be recycled more efficently than aluminum. Honestly, the amount of CO2 gas loading due to tire inflators and beer pales by comparison to the burning of fossil fuels, etc.

gasman
01-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Co2 cartridges not very green. the trash created and more Co2 injected into atmosphere. Pumped air cheaper and doesn't run out.

Actually the CO2 is not made de novo but is isolated from the air all around us-like dry ice ! So you could say that they are taking and isolating some Co2 out of the atmosphere. The steel cartidges can be recycled but in our town I'm not sure if they can put in co-mingled recycling or if they need to be brought right to a steel recycler.

WadePatton
01-14-2008, 10:50 AM
where do you live, and what tires do you use?
Rural Tennessee, Conti Ultra Gator Skins 25's. I run lower pressures too as half my riding is on chip/tar paved roads.

Actually was running junk tires on my fixie until the rollers blistered the tread...shopping again.

superunleaded
01-14-2008, 01:13 PM
I bring a mini-pump with C02 combo but usually borrow from other guys with frame pumps if I needed one :) I'm still lucky I haven't have to use the mini-p or C02 during solo rides.

swoop
01-14-2008, 02:16 PM
if the tire thingies get flat i ditch the bike on the side of the road. i find the rapid ventilation of air can get dirt on the bike and if that happens its never the same.

so i just have the helicopter come get me and we start over.

Fixed
01-14-2008, 02:19 PM
bro i carry a floor pump in my bag
cheers :beer:

swoop
01-14-2008, 02:21 PM
bro i carry a floor pump in my bag
cheers :beer:

that's weird fixed.. because i care a snap together wood floor in mine. we should get together.

manet
01-14-2008, 02:25 PM
that's weird fixed.. because i care a snap together wood floor in mine. we should get together.

awesome, joel shapiro carries a house in his.

Fixed
01-14-2008, 02:28 PM
when I was young it was a bong
cheers

swoop
01-14-2008, 02:33 PM
when I was young it was a bong
cheers

weird again because i carried a dwarf Jamaican weed dealer and about five pounds of cheezy poofs and chocolate chip cookies.

maunahaole
01-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Current pump is a quicker pro mini thing that sits in the jersey pocket. Prior to that I was using a topeak road morph, which is a great pump, but lacking in a "clean" looking mount to the frame. My current frame has a pump peg, but it's difficult to find a pump long enough to fit across the top tube.

Fixed
01-14-2008, 02:38 PM
bro i have n't raced in a couple years but bro after the alley cat I had munchies bad I ate a bag of cho. cookies on the way home so now they are in the bag too never know when you might need them
cheers

Volant
01-14-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm old school, but trying to get with tech. So I carry this:

Ahneida Ride
01-14-2008, 07:53 PM
The best form of Inflation is the frn. :) :rolleyes:

Louis
01-14-2008, 09:59 PM
The best form of Inflation is the frn. :) :rolleyes:

Inflation is more important than you'd think. From today's NYT:

"Astronomers now know the universe has not lasted forever. It was born in the Big Bang, which somehow set the arrow of time, 14 billion years ago. The linchpin of the Big Bang is thought to be an explosive moment known as inflation, during which space became suffused with energy that had an antigravitational effect and ballooned violently outward, ironing the kinks and irregularities out of what is now the observable universe and endowing primordial chaos with order."

t. swartz
01-15-2008, 04:27 AM
local cab company on speed dial

junior2189
01-15-2008, 07:30 AM
I'm old school, but trying to get with tech. So I carry this:
where can i buy one?
JUNIOR