PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try the FSA Compact Road Bar?

Satellite
01-12-2008, 12:29 PM
I am thinking of buying the FSA Compact Road Bar. Any feedback would be appreciated. Also any input on the Aluminum v.s. Carbon. I am currently using the Deda Newton Aluminum Bar I like it but it is one size to large. So while I am buying a new bar anyways I thought it might be good to do some additional research.

Thanks,

Satellite

Bruce K
01-12-2008, 01:16 PM
I think there was an earlier thread on these bars where someone mentioned some quirky fit/geo issues. Something about the way they were measured or limited sizing options....

That turned me away from buying them last summer.

Maybe things are different now.

BK

rpm
01-12-2008, 01:39 PM
I have 'em and love 'em. Besides the shallow drop they come back quite a ways, so you can get a nice cruising position at the end of the drops. They also have a relatively short reach on top, which suits me fine, but you should see whether that's what you like.

Curious George
01-12-2008, 01:49 PM
FWIW, there are a couple of things if you are considering these bars, based on mine, which are alloy.

They are measured c-c where the bar tape plugs go, (no surprises), but the bend of these bars make the brake lever position about 10mm narrower each side.
This isn't a bad thing, just summit to consider.
Another way of saying it is; if you normally choose 44cm bars, on this model where the brake hoods are, it will measure 42cm.

Great cable routing for STI, not as elegant for Ergo.
No biggie, I just miss the double divot for the cables to sit.

The flat bit on top is very nice :)

They are pretty compact, but IMO nicely designed. I think the previously mentioned narrowing where the brake hoods go is a good thing when on the drops, but FSA do have a very nice spec sheet on their web site.

John H.
01-12-2008, 05:18 PM
I have a set in carbon 42 c to c that I am selling if someone is interested.

Dave
01-12-2008, 05:35 PM
I bought the FSA K-force compact last year. I found the c-c distance at the brake hoods to be a full 20mm less than the c-c handlebar size. I've got a pair of 40mm that I'll be selling.

I found these bars to be OK, but they don't work real well with Campy ergo levers. The reach to the brake lever from the hooks is longer than any bar I'd tried in years. I also prefer a bar with an "anatomic" (straight) hook section. A round shape supports the hand at the crook of the thumb and at the heel, but nowhere in between. A straight section of bar with the right angle is what I prefer.

The wing shape on the top section is not to my liking either. The wing was tilted up at the front and wasn't as comfortable as a round bar.

I'm going back the Easton EC-90 Equipe (not the round bend Equipe Pro).

PacNW2Ford
01-12-2008, 07:20 PM
Another option is the Shimano PRO PLT Compact II OS bar, or the new 7S. It has vertical drops, a wide straight area on top, and matches up well with STI. Don't know how it works with Campy, you bike probably be blowed up.

cruzroadie
01-13-2008, 02:14 AM
I found the aluminum version from FSA as the Omega compact. No wing section with a round top section. I have found this to be very comfortable and for Campy I route both cables on the bottom side of the bar and it looks clean. It weighs more than the carbon SLK or K Force but the price is cheap, only $36 at universalcycles.com

FMS_rider
01-13-2008, 06:32 AM
I really like the FSA compact --the traditional bend, flat top, and the long outwardly flaring drops --best of the 4 bars I have had on my Lemond steel bike. My fitter says a large number of his clients have switched to that bar after trying it during fit sessions. I have the aluminum version on the Lemond (Pro Wing Compact) but plan to put the carbon equivalent on my Legend when it arrives (which should be any day now!!).
Lew

BTW I have Shimano 9-speed levers on the Lemond and have tested the bar with Shimano 10-speed and like it with both --nice level transition.

Climb01742
01-13-2008, 06:56 AM
i found it's tricky to get both the hoods and the drops at the right angles without having the flat wing top tilted in such a way that it bugged the palms of my hands. the idea of the bar good; the design just didn't quite work for me. i'd recommend trying the cheaper alu bar first, see if you like it. if not, you haven't invested too much.

mike p
01-13-2008, 07:34 AM
I just e-bayed a pair of AL ones for 28.00. I don't have them on a bike yet and not sure if I'm going to like them or not. Drop seems very small.

Mike

i found it's tricky to get both the hoods and the drops at the right angles without having the flat wing top tilted in such a way that it bugged the palms of my hands. the idea of the bar good; the design just didn't quite work for me. i'd recommend trying the cheaper alu bar first, see if you like it. if not, you haven't invested too much.

Kirk007
01-13-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm testing the wing pro alu right now.

Likes: the shallow drop and long extension, slightly flared on the drop. It is very easy to comfortably move from the hoods to the drops without changing the angle at my hips or having to drop my bake or shoulders. As noted, they are significantly narrower up top that at the drop ends. I've come to like this as for awhile I've been feeling my bars were a bit too wide. From this perspective they are as comfortable a bar as I've ridden. Flat ramp to the hoods, drops essentially parallel to the road, both very comfortable and useable positions for me.

Dislikes: I don't like the flat tops or the cable routing with Campy. Hard to get the Campy lever mounted where I wanted them. The flare gives an angle to the bar as it rounds out, so when you look at the ergo levers from the from of the bike they are at a bit of an angle, inside to out from the top, instead of vertical. It looks disturbing, but it feels fine when riding. I think the elliptical shape is a bit aesthetically challenged when viewed from the side, but I'm getting used to it.

I'm giving the Wing Pros back to the shop but I'm going to try the Omegas - round bar, double grooved (I think), but heavy - 300 grams as compared to 26o for the Wing Pros. By at $39 vs the $$$ for the carbon, I'll stick with the aluminum for now. I will probably have a pair of the old style Easton (0 Equipe bars, 44s to sell...

Greg

fixednwinter
01-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Hi;

I too, was surprised by the difference in width between where the bars clamped and the bar plugs. I'm measuring a 2cm difference. I normally use 42cm bars, so I ended up exchanging my carbon Compact Shallow for the 44cm version. Luckily, I bought it at a local LBS who were kind enough to exchange it without penalty almost half a year later. If you need a true 44cm width at the hoods, I don't think that FSA currently makes a 46cm.

For STI, the bar shape on the top section allows a nice, flat deck and transition between the tops and the hoods. The drop is very shallow (128mm I think?) so it's not a discomfort for me to use them. The round rather than anatomic shape of those drops is very comfortable too, and allows a good reach to the STI lever. When I extend my fingers out, they go easily past the lever blade.

I also use these bars with the old school Shimano aero levers and they work fine in terms of reach and comfort also. I even have a Dia-Compe tandem dummy lever (no brake lever, just the hood) on my fixed and the tops to hood transition is good too.

I had mentioned in another post that I was going to install these bars on my only bike with Ergo, but a fellow poster wrote in and mentioned that the reach with Ergo levers felt quite far, I believe.

I have one K-Force carbon on my 'Nago with the flattened tops and the shape works well. The rest of my bikes have the very inexpensive aluminum Omega version. Same drop, lower shape and reach, but round tops. Also very comfortable.

Satellite
01-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Great inputs, I am thinking I will try the Omega first. I was going to buy the Easton SLX in 40cm. So it sounds like I need the 42 cm version of the FSA Omega due to flare of the drops.

I currently have Deda Newton 42cm an it is one size to wide I also use 10sp Dura Ace.

I have done some more research and I am only looking for the round bar. So the wing design is out for me.

Thanks for everyones input please keep providing inputs.

Best Regards,

Satellite

Avispa
01-13-2008, 12:45 PM
I am thinking of buying the FSA Compact Road Bar.... Also any input on the Aluminum v.s. Carbon.

Hey Sat,

I had both, and decided to keep the carbon, mostly because it is lighter than the alum and perhaps, for me a bit more forgiving when I ride on bumpy parts of the road. As far as geo, they are both identical and I had no problem going from a bar that was measured the same, that is, C-to-C, etc. I ride in the drops for long periods of time and I really like the compact bend of these bars. If you ride on the tops or the hoods a lot; I think there are better bars out there. The Ritchey Evolution is one example.

Great cable routing for STI, not as elegant for Ergo.
No biggie, I just miss the double divot for the cables to sit. The flat bit on top is very nice

I have no problem positioning the cables and my Ergo levers... BTW, I do believe that if you use Campy, it is the cables that actually make the bars flatter on top. The alu bars are not as flat, unless you position the cables to do so.

..A..