PDA

View Full Version : OT: A review of the show I was working on...

SoCalSteve
01-11-2008, 07:19 PM
when the writers decided to go on strike and "un-employ" me and thousands of others working in the TV and Movie industry.

I'm not a fan of Sci-Fi, but maybe you guys are.

Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles

This Sunday night @ 8:00 PM on Fox (the Pilot) and then Monday nights at 8:00 PM there after....

Well, we only shot 8 episodes (then the scripts ran out)...So, 9 altogether. The Pilot was shot in New Mexico and I had nothing to do with it. The rest (8) were shot in and around Los Angeles and the stages & backlot of Warner Brother Studios.

Enjoy!

Steve

http://www.calendarlive.com/tv/cl-et-sarah11jan11,0,704339.story?coll=cl-tv-features

MarleyMon
01-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the link and I hope you can get back to work soon.
What will the directors do with their negotiation?
Hope you are getting plenty of good rides in.

- Funny they named a character "Cameron".

Bill Bove
01-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Steve, as a person who is affected bythe strike and probably knows a little more about the reasons for the strike can you bring me up to speed on it and give me your opinion too.

SoCalSteve
01-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Steve, as a person who is affected bythe strike and probably knows a little more about the reasons for the strike can you bring me up to speed on it and give me your opinion too.

I am 100% affected, yes. It sure is cutting down on my bike buying abilities! Anyone wanna buy my spot in RS line (just joking)!

The reason there is a strike is because the producers and the writers are not seeing eye to eye on a few major points. A couple of the biggies are that the writers want reality show writers to be allowed into the WGA (I guess there is no classification for them now) and secondly, on whats called "new media".....Meaning, downloading to an iPod, cell phone, the Internet, etc...

The writers want a bigger piece of the pie for this new media and the producers dont want to give it to them..I think for a couple reasons....1.) No one knows how big-small this slice is going to be (no way to predict the future and future techno trends) and 2.) The producers claim that they run a tight margin in TV and feel that their profits wont allow the pie to be sliced up in larger slices.

Now, for my take: I think the writers deserve a bigger piece of the pie and that the producers are just being greedy. But, this has gone on longer than anyone expected it to and everyone (producers included) are losing big bucks on a daily basis.....So, maybe the producers (who have pretty smart accountants) know something that you, me and the writers dont...

So, there is more to it than meets the eye. Just because I have spent my entire career working in this industry, that does not mean I know squat about the "big business" side of it. It is run by HUGE corporations these days who have VERY deep pockets.

Warner Brothers is Time/Warner
Universal is GE
Paramount is Viacom
etc, etc, etc

I hope this helps a little (probably not) to answer your questions....For me, I dont mind having time off (I love getting back in shape and riding a ton)...But, this is different because I havent a clue when I go back to work. When I am off for "hiatus" I know that in 2-3 months, I will be back at it....I am clueless now when I am "back to work"

Steve

SoCalSteve
01-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the link and I hope you can get back to work soon.
What will the directors do with their negotiation?
Hope you are getting plenty of good rides in.

- Funny they named a character "Cameron".

It was done on purpose to give respect to the original director...

jimcav
01-12-2008, 11:30 AM
wasted far too many hours on sci fi channel, but no reason to turn back now. i'll be tuning in or dvr it

hope it gets resolved for you.
jim

dvs cycles
01-12-2008, 12:03 PM
As a retired IBEW member I find that a strike that lasts more than a few days does not benefit anyone. My local always took it to binding arbetration instead.
Look at all the innocent other trades that are being screwed by this like yourself.
Selfish A S S es. :butt:

Bill Bove
01-12-2008, 12:18 PM
thanks Steve, I'm in the writers camp too on this one but strikes succk big time. all the periphiral industries and jobs are being hurt too. The bar where the crew goes after work to the daycare center where your kid doesn't go anymore are all hurting. I hope for for everybodys sake they end this soon but man, without the writer what have you got?

Look for the union label.

"Don't Mourne, Organize" -Joe Hill

SoCalSteve
01-12-2008, 12:29 PM
As a retired IBEW member I find that a strike that lasts more than a few days does not benefit anyone. My local always took it to binding arbetration instead.
Look at all the innocent other trades that are being screwed by this like yourself. Selfish A S S es. :butt:

This is what I cannot understand! Everyone is losing MILLIONS, including the producers, why dont they settle????

And yeah, they say that the LA economy is losing $21 million per day with no TV production...

Wouldnt you think Aaaahnold would step in and at least get them back to the negotiating table...

Just some rambling thoughts from an unemployed dude.

Steve

Ken Robb
01-12-2008, 02:40 PM
ATMO the power of unions rises and falls over time. If not for the real threat of a strike they would have little power to negotiate with management. When negotiations reach an impasse it's up to both sides to decide how long they can stand a strike and when they have to settle without causing themselves irrepairable damage/losses.

It's easy to see how much $$ both sides are losing during a strike but it requires some complex projections and assumptions as to how well each side will do in the future. If the union strikes for a month and the average member loses $5,000 in wages that's an easy computation. If the strike gains a 10% increase in wages for the next 3 years that's $500 a month extra so after 10 months the member would be ahead in wages. But what if they could have settled for 8% in a week and so only lost $1250 in wages?

What if the new wage rate is so high that most members are no longer fully employed or some of them lose their jobs entirely? What if members lose houses and cars, etc. because they can't make the payments during the strike? How do you calculate all the variables?

Management can see what every day with no product costs in lost sales and they can see what 10% higher wages across the board would mean to their bottom line. They can calculate how much profit they are willing to give up during the strike and how much they hope to control/reduce increased labor costs after a settlement with the union. But they don't know if they can pass any or all of the increased costs on to their customers and they surely don't know if they'll still have all of their customers. Some may have found a substitute product or service that workd just as well for them so they are lost for good.

Well, obviously, this is a complex subject and in no way do I think my comments are the whole story. But for those in the gang who haven't been personally involved in labor/management disputes or studied business economics it may be food for thought. The good news is that skilled negotiators for both sides usually come to an equitable solution and avoid strikes for their mutual benefit.

My dad was a shop steward for the Teamsters for many years. They wanted to hire him as a business agent which would have meant quiting his job of 30 years. I talked him out of it as it was during the years when Hoffa was in jail and I didn't think any employee of the Teamsters was secure in his job. FWIW, Dad thought Jimmy was a near-deity. Dad was a miner on strike in Scotland in the General Strike of 1926 and participated in some rough Teamster organizing in the USA in the 1930's. he knew well the risk/reward concerns of a strike. I remember how dismayed he was by the young union guys in his local during the 1960's. They were never happy with reasonable settlements negotiated on their behalf and were quick to call for a strike. Dad said they sounded like a pack of animals after their prey. It was a time when the unions seemed to be at the peak of their power. There was still little foreign competition and management was able to pass on increased labor costs to the customers who had no alternative sources. Still Dad said he and the older guys who'd been on strikes before could imagine the weeping and wailing of these "hawks" about how were they were going to survive after they'd been on strike for a couple of months with only small strike benefits to pay their bills. Experience is a tough teacher.

Climb01742
01-12-2008, 04:17 PM
as a point of reference, there are some estimates that 50% of advertising dollars have gone from "traditional" media to digital media. with the dollars to go higher. digital is a huge play. anyone would be wise to want as big a piece of that pie as possible.

2LeftCleats
01-12-2008, 04:23 PM
I don't watch a lot of TV but look forward to my Daily Show and Colbert Report fix. Since those shows have returned without writers, it's painfully obvious that the 2 stars don't do that much of their own material. They are tough to watch. I'm sure they've gone back to protect the livelihoods of the non-striking workers on the shows and probably to help insure that the shows themselves will survive. One of the Letterman writers who obviously has a point of view mentioned that although the public tends to lump writers with highly paid Hollywood folks, the average hourly wage for them is $9-10.

Ken Robb
01-12-2008, 08:22 PM
how can anyone live in La or NYC on $10 an hour?

Viper
01-13-2008, 07:55 PM
James Cameron made what seemd like 15 Titanic movies, I thought he was going to make love to the ship's remains. This is Terminator 9, T9, different bike, same ride. No Ahnuld, no deal. Terminator 2 will go down as one of the few sequels which was possibly better than an amazing original. Terminator 3 had many elements of cheese and this tv show literally plagiarizes; certain scenes are identical from T1, T2 and T3.

All that said, this show is pretty cool.

Bruce K
01-13-2008, 08:03 PM
Actually, I liked it with the exception of the guy playing the "bad Terminator". He needs to be more menacing in either an Arnold way or like T2.

It's kind of cool that the "good Terminator" is "River" from the movie "Serenity", even if she is playing basically the same character but instead of being a telepath, she's a Terminator.

BK

wtex
01-13-2008, 08:12 PM
Just watched it, good stuff. And looks like it will get better.

Complex Terminators, who try to be your girlfriend. Man, the dating game just got a lot tougher.

Viper
01-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Actually, I liked it with the exception of the guy playing the "bad Terminator". He needs to be more menacing in either an Arnold way or like T2.

It's kind of cool that the "good Terminator" is "River" from the movie "Serenity", even if she is playing basically the same character but instead of being a telepath, she's a Terminator.

BK

She was in 'The Unit' on CBS for several episodes, a hotty. I agree, the Terminators were lame compared to Ahnuld. Mr. Cheney should be a Terminator atmo. :D I'd like to see some BMW M5's in a chase scene and fwiw, the fact that 'Connor' is the last name of the family who'll save the planet only proves the Irish rule the world.

Terrell Owens is crying right now, defending Tony Romo...I think the world IS coming to an end!

SoCalSteve
01-13-2008, 08:22 PM
She was in 'The Unit' on CBS for several episodes, a hotty. I agree, the Terminators were lame compared to Ahnuld. Mr. Cheney should be a Terminator atmo. :D I'd like to see some BMW M5's in a chase scene and fwiw, the fact that 'Connor' is the last name of the family who'll save the planet only proves the Irish rule the world.

Terrell Owens is crying right now, defending Tony Romo...I think the world IS coming to an end!

Jeep Limited's..you will see plenty of them.

Glad you all liked it! I had NOTHING to do with it creatively.

Just sayin'

Steve

PS: I'm a behind the scene's, nuts and bolts kinda guy.

Viper
01-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Jeep Limited's..you will see plenty of them.

Glad you all liked it! I had NOTHING to do with it creatively.

Just sayin'

Steve

PS: I'm a behind the scene's, nuts and bolts kinda guy.

I was highly skeptical too. I'd like to see Isiah Thomas as a Terminator who gets pwned. Don Johnson had a Spyder and a Testarossa, if you wanna kill Terminators you need an M5; a high speed M5 chase scene with Phil Collins on the radio is needed atmo. :D

rounder
01-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Good luck Steve. You are a bright guy and will probably end up ok no matter how the strike is settled. The part i don't understand though is that these issues seem to be always about management v. labor, only. They never seem to include concerns about the customers/viewers who pay everone's salaries/bills. It is like once the matter is settled then everything else will fall in place. But, if the viewers decide during the strike that they are just as happy watching youtube or learning how to play guitar, etc. and don't miss the programming, then both labor and management could lose in the end...perhaps forever. Anyway, don't give up your space in the rs line.

Louis
01-13-2008, 10:15 PM
She was in 'The Unit' on CBS for several episodes, a hotty.

On the related topic of Sci-Fi hotties:

Seven of Nine = HOT, Seven of Nine = HOT, Seven of Nine = HOT, Seven of Nine = HOT, Seven of Nine = HOT, Seven of Nine = HOT, Seven of Nine = HOT, Seven of Nine = HOT, Seven of Nine = HOT, Seven of Nine = HOT, Seven of Nine = HOT, Seven of Nine = HOT, Seven of Nine = HOT, Seven of Nine = HOT, Seven of Nine = HOT, Seven of Nine = HOT, Seven of Nine = HOT, Seven of Nine = HOT, Seven of Nine = HOT, Seven of Nine = HOT, Seven of Nine = HOT, Seven of Nine = HOT, Seven of Nine = HOT, Seven of Nine = HOT

Plus, Jeri's revelations of Jack Ryan's sexual peccadilloes might end up playing an important role in presidential politics if Obama is nominated.

SoCalSteve
01-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Good luck Steve. You are a bright guy and will probably end up ok no matter how the strike is settled. The part i don't understand though is that these issues seem to be always about management v. labor, only. They never seem to include concerns about the customers/viewers who pay everone's salaries/bills. It is like once the matter is settled then everything else will fall in place. But, if the viewers decide during the strike that they are just as happy watching youtube or learning how to play guitar, etc. and don't miss the programming, then both labor and management could lose in the end...perhaps forever. Anyway, don't give up your space in the rs line.

Thank you! After 28 years of working in the movie "biz" I dont really worry too much about these things...We always seem to bounce back and now that cable and the Internet are so prevelant, there never seems to be a shortage of work (unless there are no scripts)!

As for RS, I have $$$ put aside to pay for his frame. I am not too concerned. Its still a couple years off.

I hope everyone enjoyed the show. I am glad I was/am a part of helping bring it to you.

Steve

Viper
01-13-2008, 10:26 PM

I don't wear any tin foil, but...is it possible this strike is induced. Meaning, Hollywood's numbers are down so a few big wigs at the top say, "Here's the plan, we have a strike, condense the industry, filter it out, whittle it down etc..." Is it some type of correction? Is it some play to get web-tv fired up? What is driving this thing, what's the real dealio? It's about DVD sales and money, no? I think we're all missing something. What are the truths behind the politics and spin of this strike??? Someone will benefit from this...

Note: I really don't care about the strike. I DO want you to Steve etc to have their jobs and happiness. I'm not high on Hollywood. I just want Battlestar Galactica and LOST to be on the air.

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:Ya7wRvKDOsYJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Writers_Guild_of_America_strike+writer%27s+st rike+dvd+sales&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

http://newteevee.com/2008/01/11/striking-writers-to-launch-online-video-co-seeking-30m/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ari-emanuel/on-fbombs-conspiracy-th_b_72847.html?load=1&page=2

http://www.bruceclay.com/blog/archives/2008/01/has_the_writers_strike_reinvented_online_video.htm l

SoCalSteve
01-13-2008, 10:34 PM
I don't wear any tin foil, but...is it possible this strike is induced. Meaning, Hollywood's numbers are down so a few big wigs at the top say, "Here's the plan, we have a strike, condense the industry, filter it out, whittle it down etc..." Is it some type of correction? Is it some play to get web-tv fired up? What is driving this thing, what's the real dealio? It's about DVD sales and money, no? I think we're all missing something. What are the truths behind the politics and spin of this strike??? Someone will benefit from this...
Note: I really don't care about the strike. I DO want you to Steve etc to have their jobs and happiness. I'm not high on Hollywood. I just want Battlestar Galactica and LOST to be on the air.

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:Ya7wRvKDOsYJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Writers_Guild_of_America_strike+writer%27s+st rike+dvd+sales&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

http://newteevee.com/2008/01/11/striking-writers-to-launch-online-video-co-seeking-30m/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ari-emanuel/on-fbombs-conspiracy-th_b_72847.html?load=1&page=2

http://www.bruceclay.com/blog/archives/2008/01/has_the_writers_strike_reinvented_online_video.htm l

I dont claim to know 1/1000 of whats going on with the strike...But, I can tell you one things and that is Hollywood, etc is a business. Plain and simple. Its all about the $$$ and cents...(more $$$ than cents, actually).

It can be "spun" anyway you want...in the end, its just a business and a business that has shareholders that want to see profits.

Someone (or many someones- accountant types) must feel that long term, this is what needs to be done to keep those profits up and the shareholders happy.

All I know is, that for the last 20 years, we (the labor types) have gotten very fair work contracts from the Producers. Why they are not doing this with the writers is...

Steve

Viper
01-13-2008, 11:08 PM
I dont claim to know 1/1000 of whats going on with the strike...But, I can tell you one things and that is Hollywood, etc is a business. Plain and simple. Its all about the $$$ and cents...(more $$$ than cents, actually).

It can be "spun" anyway you want...in the end, its just a business and a business that has shareholders that want to see profits.

Someone (or many someones- accountant types) must feel that long term, this is what needs to be done to keep those profits up and the shareholders happy.

All I know is, that for the last 20 years, we (the labor types) have gotten very fair work contracts from the Producers. Why they are not doing this with the writers is...

Steve

Steve,

I dedicate this to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogtYMjU8oZA

And I just dig these songs (when U2 made fun of the cheese pop scene with Pop):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFf8JSzKMlc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2SJu4aSK9M

Good luck out there, drink coffee, eat bacon and ride during the strike. Me? I'd go to Mexico on a surf safari.

Viper

slowgoing
01-14-2008, 12:30 AM
Lena Headey is a natural beauty. She also did a good job as the queen in 300.

don'TreadOnMe
01-14-2008, 07:35 AM
Residuals are the key to this mess, and when the media/delivery method is digital, and it's easy to copy...

Who owns the content at the end of the day?
The writers who thought it up?
The producers who paid the writers?
Me, b/c I paid to watch it?

Viper
01-14-2008, 08:11 AM
Residuals are the key to this mess, and when the media/delivery method is digital, and it's easy to copy...

Who owns the content at the end of the day?
The writers who thought it up?
The producers who paid the writers?
Me, b/c I paid to watch it?

Every time I see and hear Ben Affleck I think, "I really should've moved to Hollywood." I think 2% of all the movies made every year are worth watching, 98% of them are made for the mouth-breathers of our society and this strike may backfire just like the NHL's strike a while back.

Society endures an economic recession every 5-10 years, maybe it's about time the Matt Damons and George Clooneys get hit over the head a bit and kicked in the wallet. Yes it's ashame this strike hurts many in the industry, but if Ben Affleck didn't get another $15M for 'Gigli', I'd be okay with that (I watched 'Project Greenlight' on HBO once and it scarred me for life). I pay $3.68 for a gallon of gas and it's easy to hate Big Oil, what about Big Hollywood...people seem to have seen enough of the Britney Spears', Lindsey Lohans' and Paris Hiltons' of the world/Hollywood. Maybe, just maybe.

Fixed
01-14-2008, 09:07 AM
Just watched it, good stuff. And looks like it will get better.

Complex Terminators, who try to be your girlfriend. Man, the dating game just got a lot tougher.

+1 cute chics
cheers

Viper
01-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Watching it again tonight. It is good, worth watching.

SoCalSteve
01-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Watching it again tonight. It is good, worth watching.

Last nights ratings were through the roof! Top 10 stuff with amazing demographics...

If it holds up, this could be a show that will go for years and years!!!

Oh, if we have scripts to produce them with.

Just sayin'

Steve