PDA

View Full Version : anyone else watch breaking away last night

jimcav
01-11-2008, 04:39 PM
it was on one of our digital movie channels. still love that movie. is randy quaid younger than dennis--wondered why he couldn't have played the brother, but then realized maybe he is younger.
finished up around 11 pm and then i just went out in the garage and looked at my bikes. if i had been back home at my parents' in indiana i'd have taken the coors light out for a midnight spin (well maybe not if it was wet--my 1st serotta has never seen rain)

jim

Erik.Lazdins
01-11-2008, 04:43 PM
I watched it about 2 weeks ago - went out and got the dvd a few years back.

Good movie - makes me want to ride.

ti_boi
01-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Saw it with my parents at the movie theater when it came out....my folks...both IU Alumni...loved it. As did I. One of my all time favorites. Own it on DVD. Never get tired of watching it. It has it all. Great cast....great girl...and the race!

kgreene10
01-11-2008, 06:28 PM
When I was applying for academic jobs, I got an offer to teach at IU and another from UT-Austin. It was an agonizing decision for a number of reasons. I watched Breaking Away three times as I tried to decide. Eventually Austin cool won out, but it was close.

Come to think of it, cycling movies have always had a big effect on me. I bought an Allez in 1985 because of American Flyer -- and just today I stripped it and finally condemned it to the trash heap after its untimely confrontation with the carport.

Isn't it about time for a new cycling movie?

Dave B
01-11-2008, 06:39 PM
I lived it, grew up in the town, bowled in the Union, My uncle was working with the Alumni Association when they filmed it and helped them with the planning and stuff.

Swam in the quarries....filled in now

Ate Pizza at Southern Sporting Goods

I can tell you much of what you see in the movie no longer looks that way. It has become a new/different town. Not better or worse, but different.

BUT...the race remains the same. Well the idea of sorts. The fans, the passion, the colors. The movie set an idea in stone and while the technology may have changed, the moment remains.

rwsaunders
01-11-2008, 09:08 PM
I received the DVD as a Christmas gift and I watched it while on the road this week. Corny but refreshing in a way.

slugbottle
01-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Mr. President may remember then that the quarry scene had something missing that used to be there before the movie - something that was attached to the big slab of rock that they were sitting on. Any guesses?

ti_boi
01-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Cyril: Hey! Are you really gonna shave your legs?
Dave: Certo! All the Italians do it.
Mike: Ah. Some country. The women don't shave theirs.

ti_boi
01-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Mom: He was very sickly until he started riding around on that bicycle.
Dad: Yeah... well... now his body's fine, but his mind is gone.

Blue Jays
01-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Great movie with a balance of inspiration, tragedy, comedy, defeat, and hope at every turn. What a classic!

:beer:

Bruce K
01-12-2008, 06:46 AM
Funny.

I was watching American Flyers on one of the HD movie channels last night.

I watching Breaking Away a couple of weeks ago when it was on.

Gotta buy them one of these days.

BK

soulspinner
01-12-2008, 06:57 AM
Dont know why I have a soft spot for American Flyers(maybe its the part where the young hitchiker love interest says once you get it up keep it up...) Shake n break :beer:

mcteague
01-12-2008, 07:26 AM
LOVE that movie. So many good lines, here is one of my favorites:

Dad: He's never tired. He's never miserable.
Mom: He's young.
Dad: When I was young I was tired and miserable.

Tim McTeague

ridemoreoften
01-12-2008, 07:56 AM
Love the movie. American Flyer was on last nite on the east coast but I couldn't access the channel. Bummer.