PDA

View Full Version : Help a Newbie Decide on a Bike?

TraceRider
01-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Hi Everyone!
New guy here- I joined because I am researching bikes and I could really use some advice!

First off- I am 44yrs old and in pretty good shape. Not too flexible though... I am 6'1" and around 215lbs. Fairly muscular from taking the last few years off of riding a bike- I've been lifting weights and not doing much (any) cardio. I've decided I don't feel all that good so heavy and I want to get back to riding again. I get on my Litespeed and find that I can't see the road 'cause my eyebrows are in the way, AND my shoulders and hips and hands all hurt! Soooo.... I took my Litespeed down to my (not so) LBS- whose a certified Serotta fitter and get a fit and find that I really need a larger frame than what I have been riding. They say I need something like a 62 or sumsuch.

So my question is... I would have to sell some stuff- but should I go for the Fierte steel-which they say will get very close ro what I need? Or should I try to have a real firesale and try to get a CDA in steel?

My goals are fitness, weight loss, and to be able to do long fairly fast comfortable rides- maybe even a century this summer-

Thanks for any advice!

jimcav
01-11-2008, 03:58 PM
guys i ride with who are your height ride 58-60 max.
but maybe they are right. i'd maybe double check that or borrow a 62 and see how it feels--also pay attention to the stem length.
I don't think for the type of riding you describe, general fitness, that the frame will make a huge difference.
you want it to fit, and you may want comfort over speed/power position initially. if your current bike is really the wrong size, sell it. get a used bike and start riding again, if you lose weight, or just get faster, more comfortable, then you might find you want something different in terms of fit than what you are thinking about now.
I used to run, stopped a few years ago. this x-mas holiday i ran--just went out and ran for 50 minutes--man did things hurt the next few dyas. so your butt and hands and neck may well hurt--you are no longer accustomed to riding.
hope this helps
good luck
jim

Climb01742
01-11-2008, 03:58 PM
i might go for the less expensive serotta now. as you ride it, you'll find out whether you're really digging riding again or not... and as you get fitter, your position may change. i'd suggest waiting until your heart is fully committed to riding again and your body and position are where they're gonna be for a few year, THEN sell everything and get something pricier. just one dude's .02.

whatever you choose, good for you doing more cardio and getting fitter.

bzbvh5
01-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Hi Everyone!
They say I need something like a 62 or sumsuch.

Thanks for any advice!

Different manufacturers measure bike frames diffently. Its a learning process. If they say you need a 62 serotta, you better test ride it first. I am about the same height as you and a 62 would be too large. I'm thinking 58 for myself. It could be that your litespeed is a 62 and that is why everything hurts. You are straining too hard just to hold onto the bike.

To answer your question, how much are you going to ride? If you are going to ride all the time and have the buck get the CDA. If you are still unsure at to your commitment get the Fierte. I think you will enjoy either.

regularguy412
01-11-2008, 04:17 PM
From wayyyyy out here on the internet, I'll weigh-in. I've been where you are,, and it was not _THAT_ long ago. I got back on the bike after six years off. I could barely keep my hands on the flat tops of the bars -- only stretching out to the hoods just to use the brakes. I could also only ride for about 30 minutes at a time ( when I first got back on to ride 'regularly'). Now, I'm basically back to my original position, but I did have to lose weight. I was carrying the extra pounds mostly in my waist -- made it difficult to stretch/bend over to reach the bars.

I don't know exactly where you are carrying the weight, or what your torso-to-leg-to-arm length proportions are, but your LBS may be suggesting the larger bike frame in order to get the front end higher (read: easier reach). The others who have posted so far have given good advice. No matter which new bike you choose, I'd advise you and your fitter work on a bike with a higher front end, without getting on a frame with too long a top tube. Short reach stems are a bit of a crutch for a poor fitting frame. They can make the bike handle funny and you'll sit on it in a different way, such that you might not ever become comfortable.

Glad you are back in the saddle. Any properly fitted Serotta will be a pleasure to ride.

Mike in AR

Ken Robb
01-11-2008, 05:07 PM
contact Dave Thomson (Spokane Dave, Dave T??) I forget but he has a 62cn Waterford RS22 that could be a steal for you at less than $500 shipped for frame and fork. No kidding. I'm 6'1 and 200lbs. (down from 215) and I loved my 62cm Waterford RS.

Ken Robb
01-11-2008, 05:08 PM
contact Dave Thomson (Spokane Dave, Dave T??) I forget but he has a 62cn Waterford RS22 that could be a steal for you at less than $500 shipped for frame and fork. No kidding. I'm 6'1 and 200lbs. (down from 215) and I loved my 62cm Waterford RS. It's in the classifieds here.

manet
01-11-2008, 05:13 PM
... and yet i'm a full 5'11" and both bikes made for me have 60 stamped on their BBs

capybaras
01-11-2008, 05:15 PM
everybody is a star

Ahneida Ride
01-11-2008, 05:16 PM
I was in the same boat..

I sprung for a Legend. Never looked back ...

The main objective is fit... Have you been fitted? Have you interrogated
your fitter ? Ask em to explain the logic of the measurements?

I've heard real nice comments about the CDA (carbon rear).

Serotta makes a fantastic product. you can't go wrong.
Demo both if you can.

Don't forget that choice of gearing is just as important as fit.
Are you a Masher or a Spinner?

Send me a PM if I can help.
I too am a newbie ... just outa diapers ...
There is a wealth of knowledge here. I ain't one of the guru's.

shinomaster
01-11-2008, 05:18 PM
I saw a Fierte Steel bike at my LBS and was really impressed. It had ultegra and heavy Fulcrum wheels on it, and the bike was still quite light. I'm considering telling my dad to buy a frame.

manet
01-11-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm considering selling my dad to buy a frame.

awesome

shinomaster
01-11-2008, 05:27 PM
penguins are cute as fruck

Hey Manet, Figure out a bike color yet?

sokyroadie
01-11-2008, 05:39 PM
I have owned a Fierte and currently own a CDA and a Litespeed and really can't tell much difference between all of them. I sold the Fierte because I thought it had a too upright riding position. In reality it would have been fine.

Jeff

David Kirk
01-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Here's another way to look at this. After so long off the bike most every bike is going to feel too long and too low and every bike will feel uncomfortable. After a long winter many of us feel that way let alone a few years.

It may be a good idea to adjust your stem to make things as comfortable as you can and then start doing some short rides. Build up just a bit of fitness and get a few miles in. No reason to torture yourself but get a little under your belt you you can give better feedback on your fit. After you ride some it might be a good idea to have you fit checked again. You'll no doubt sit on the bike differently after you've been riding a bit ......... you'll loosen up some and be more relaxed too.

Maybe after a bit you'll be in a better place to determine how things should fit you.

Dave

maunahaole
01-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Or just have Dave make you a new frame.

markie
01-11-2008, 06:08 PM
If a new bike will inspire you to ride more and you can afford it, get a serrotta!

If you are on a budget get a new stem for the bike you have now and get set up with a half decent position. The bike must have been OK for you once, right?

That size does sound on the big size of OK for you, but big brings the bars up which may well be what you need.

kgreene10
01-11-2008, 06:21 PM
I just got back into riding about five months ago after 20 years out of the saddle and I decided on a Fierte because it has a more upright position. I was very impressed with the steel but ended up with the IT. After just a few short months, I'm riding reasonably quick 65 milers with a club on weekends and loving it (I'll try for 80 tomorrow). I have no sense yet that the Fierte is too upright. Even as I improve, I have plenty of spacers to remove and can flip the stem.

I'm no fitter and know less than most on this forum, but a 62 sounds large. I am 6'1" with a 92cm inseam and I ride a 60.

Good luck.

PK9
01-11-2008, 07:25 PM
I'm in the "get some miles in before buying the spendy bike" camp. Either a good used frame or the Fierte steel.

62 sounds too big to me as well -- I'm 6'2" and all my frames are 58s. The problem with the big frame idea is that, while it _will_ raise the bars to increase your comfort, it'll also make you reach a long way for them. And, if you go with the short stem and shove the saddle all the way forward to address the reach issue, the balance of the bike and your relationship to the pedals will probably be WAY off -- decreasing your riding pleasure _and_ the likelihood that you'll want to spend more time on the bike.

BTW, the top tube length on the stock 62cm Fierte is 59.5cm which I'm guessing would be problematic.

Just my $.02.

markie
01-11-2008, 09:12 PM
FWIW,

I am 5'11'' and my bikes range between 58cm and 60cm. The 60cm is a Rivendell and is their recommended size for me.....

TraceRider
01-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Wow! Thanks! You guys are great!

that's alot of good advice... a lot to consider. At this point I think I will further interrogate the guy at the shop. Even though he is a Serotta fitter- I should know what he's thinking, and the points about the top tube length bother me.

About the stem- I did start out by getting a higher stem and that helped alot. It's just that the position he had me in while he was doing the measurement (on that adjustable geometry trainer they use) felt soooooo good compared to the position on my Litespeed it was/is very tempting to go for a Serotta. But- I will stretch out over time, and prob'ly gain a little more perspective on what I like as the months wear on.

Thanks Again! And I'll let you know how it turns out for the sake of interest..

Brad

avalonracing
01-11-2008, 10:25 PM
It may be a good idea to adjust your stem to make things as comfortable as you can and then start doing some short rides. Build up just a bit of fitness and get a few miles in. No reason to torture yourself but get a little under your belt you you can give better feedback on your fit. After you ride some it might be a good idea to have you fit checked again. You'll no doubt sit on the bike differently after you've been riding a bit ......... you'll loosen up some and be more relaxed too.

Maybe after a bit you'll be in a better place to determine how things should fit you.

Dave

A big +1

vaxn8r
01-11-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm 5' 11" and I ride a stock 56 cm frame.

Can ride a 54 to a 59 without too much trouble.

Climb01742
01-12-2008, 06:04 AM
... and yet i'm a full 5'11" and both bikes made for me have 60 stamped on their BBs

IQ?

time it takes you to cook a rachel ray 30-minute meal?

your best guess what's between 59th and 61th on lex?

photos on your camera right now?

see, dude, it could mean lots o' stuff. really. trust me.

manet
01-12-2008, 02:09 PM
IQ?

time it takes you to cook a rachel ray 30-minute meal?

your best guess what's between 59th and 61th on lex?

photos on your camera right now?

see, dude, it could mean lots o' stuff. really. trust me.

... lady kills

Pete Serotta
01-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Glad to see you are thinking about a SEROTTA. Let me suggest that you get fitted by one of the SEROTTA certified fitters. Let the forum know where you live or what shops you have been looking at AND then the gang here can give a recommendation of a fitter.

Once this is done - then you can decide which bike fits your budget and lust.

Anything we can do to assist let us know. PETE
Hi Everyone!
New guy here- I joined because I am researching bikes and I could really use some advice!

First off- I am 44yrs old and in pretty good shape. Not too flexible though... I am 6'1" and around 215lbs. Fairly muscular from taking the last few years off of riding a bike- I've been lifting weights and not doing much (any) cardio. I've decided I don't feel all that good so heavy and I want to get back to riding again. I get on my Litespeed and find that I can't see the road 'cause my eyebrows are in the way, AND my shoulders and hips and hands all hurt! Soooo.... I took my Litespeed down to my (not so) LBS- whose a certified Serotta fitter and get a fit and find that I really need a larger frame than what I have been riding. They say I need something like a 62 or sumsuch.

So my question is... I would have to sell some stuff- but should I go for the Fierte steel-which they say will get very close ro what I need? Or should I try to have a real firesale and try to get a CDA in steel?

My goals are fitness, weight loss, and to be able to do long fairly fast comfortable rides- maybe even a century this summer-

Thanks for any advice!

Pete Serotta
01-12-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm 5' 11" and I ride a stock 56 cm frame.

Can ride a 54 to a 59 without too much trouble.
:no: :no: