PDA

View Full Version : Sram Red Cassette

deluxerider
01-11-2008, 12:50 PM
anyone been on the sram red cassette? how does it shift? as well as d-a or record? opinions? comments?

Bruce K
01-11-2008, 04:09 PM
I'll let you know in 2 weeks after I get back from riding with Alexis and Weisan in Austin.

The cyclocrossworld cross racers liked them except in muddy conditions, they don't seem to clear as well.

BK

Dave B
01-11-2008, 06:42 PM
I'll let you know in 2 weeks after I get back from riding with Alexis and Weisan in Austin.

The cyclocrossworld cross racers liked them except in muddy conditions, they don't seem to clear as well.

BK

You think it is because the mud has no where to go like on other cassettes?

Yeah I'll be interested to see what you think...Seems like a brilliant idea for the road.

David Kirk
01-11-2008, 06:46 PM
I haven't ridden one but I do have one here for a show bike and it doesn't indeed look like you might have an issue with mud having no where to go.

For road use it should work very well. Sure is a slick piece of machining that makes some of the other riveted multi-piece designs out there look silly in comparison.

Too snowy here at this point to try out the new one I just got for myself.

Dave

Dave B
01-11-2008, 06:48 PM
I like the out of the box thinking on it.

Seems like a smart idea...well..if it works

Dave also. ;)

DarrenCT
01-11-2008, 06:49 PM
I haven't ridden one but I do have one here for a show bike and it doesn't indeed look like you might have an issue with mud having no where to go.

For road use it should work very well. Sure is a slick piece of machining that makes some of the other riveted multi-piece designs out there look silly in comparison.

Too snowy here at this point to try out the new one I just got for myself.

Dave

DK,

btw where are my kirk pix on the website? :)

David Kirk
01-11-2008, 06:54 PM
DK,

btw where are my kirk pix on the website? :)

The head of I.T. is addressing the issue at our center for Webbernet Theoretical Function (***) in downtown Seattle. We have to make sure that things like this are handled in a secure manner.

Or as soon as Karin gets caught up with other stuff like skiing.

Dave

Steve-O
01-11-2008, 06:55 PM
My understanding is that all the force is put on the drive notches on either side of the cassette. There is no "carrier" that distributes the load over the freehub like conventional designs. I wonder if the Red cassette would dig into the freehub body?

Dave B
01-11-2008, 06:59 PM
My understanding is that all the force is put on the drive notches on either side of the cassette. There is no "carrier" that distributes the load over the freehub like conventional designs. I wonder if the Red cassette would dig into the freehub body?

From what I read this design is to actually eliminate it...well maybe cut down the marks...crap, no pun intended.

brians647
01-11-2008, 10:05 PM
The head of I.T. is addressing the issue at our center for Webbernet Theoretical Function (***) in downtown Seattle. We have to make sure that things like this are handled in a secure manner.

Or as soon as Karin gets caught up with other stuff like skiing.

Dave

HA! Don't bug Karin, make Darren wait for the *** people get his bike up there. Besides, all he wants to do is brag about it to his 20 year old supermodel girlfriend! ;)

flux
01-11-2008, 10:11 PM
They are fantastic. We (KBS/Medifast) have been using an early production model since last fall and there have been no problems whatsoever and the shifting has never been anything but spot on.

SPOKE
01-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Davesnipped

Gee, i wonder whos show bike that could be????? :rolleyes:

David Kirk
01-11-2008, 11:36 PM
snipped

Gee, i wonder whos show bike that could be????? :rolleyes:

Shhhh! it's a surprise.

Dave

xcandrew
01-11-2008, 11:39 PM

If the thickness on the ends that sleeve onto the cassette are about the same thickness as a normal sprocket, it seems to me that the stress would be about half of what normal loose or riveted-together sprockets put on the cassette body, though the stress would be more compared to a wide carrier.

Karin Kirk
01-11-2008, 11:40 PM
HA! Don't bug Karin, make Darren wait for the *** people get his bike up there. Besides, all he wants to do is brag about it to his 20 year old supermodel girlfriend! ;)

Send me a pic of the GF and I'll post that too! :rolleyes:

Next web update will be one week from today - mark your calendar Darren!

dave thompson
01-11-2008, 11:45 PM

IT is always slow, especially in the huge corporate wide-world of Kirk FrameWorks.

DarrenCT
01-12-2008, 05:02 AM
They are fantastic. We (KBS/Medifast) have been using an early production model since last fall and there have been no problems whatsoever and the shifting has never been anything but spot on.

this is pretty reassuring if u ask me.

if hard core ridahs like flux can use it, im sure a bunch of hackers like us can (although i'll prolly still use campy)

stevep
01-12-2008, 05:58 AM

i thk you should post darrens bike pic upside down to punish him for complaining to the ceo of the company about the slow work of the technology department.
just my opinion. mebbe post a photo of a question mark?
put some coors light decals on the frame?

soulspinner
01-12-2008, 07:00 AM
If ya havent already, tease us with details.