PDA

View Full Version : OT last kitchen question--promise

jimcav
01-11-2008, 11:02 AM
our kitchen has a white sink, typical kitchen style with disposal in the small well on the left, bigger well on rt.
should we swap for a stainless sink? all appliances are white, cabinets are white.
i am putting in a cool, taller more updated stainless faucet.

thanks
jim

dauwhe
01-11-2008, 11:21 AM
We have a white sink with white cabinets and stainless faucet (and dark countertops), and I think it looks good!

Dave

TAW
01-11-2008, 11:21 AM
It seems that upgrades to the kitchen are usually worth it. It might
depend on what condition your current sink is in, but people seem to like newer stuff in the kitchen especially.

Ozz
01-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Porcelain sinks are easier to keep clean....stainless is kind of a pain if you are particular about it being shiny all the time. Ours needs a weekly polish with "Soft Scrub" to keep it shiny, and in between it gets lots of water spots.

The upside is that it does not chip if you drop a pot into it.........

Hardlyrob
01-11-2008, 11:29 AM
If there are no chips in the enamel, no stains and there is no nasty ring of gunk where the sink meets the counter - I say leave it. If the enamel is chipped or stained or otherwise looking worn, put a shiny stainless sink in.

It will only look good for a while until it gets little scratches etc. in it, but buyers tend to like shiny and new. With new formica counters and a shiny sink, the kitchen should look great for not a lot of $$$.

Rob

rwsaunders
01-11-2008, 02:51 PM
our kitchen has a white sink, typical kitchen style with disposal in the small well on the left, bigger well on rt.
should we swap for a stainless sink? all appliances are white, cabinets are white.
i am putting in a cool, taller more updated stainless faucet.

thanks
jim

If the sink is in good shape, let it stay. A new faucet is a relatively inexpensive upgrade too. Isn't it amazing that you and the Mrs. had no issues with the current status of the kitchen, but now you're spending it for the next guy. Been there, done that.

OT related joke....Why does a bride wear white?......because it's always a good idea to coordinate the color of the dishwasher with the other appliances. That'll get things going. :cool:

maunahaole
01-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Try Kaboom and a scotchbrite on a stainless sink....if you want to see come shine. I've done it at home and it does wonders to the stainless exhaust on my motorcycle.

iffyjoe
01-11-2008, 03:14 PM
May also keep in mind that SS sinks tend to be quite noisy unless the gauge is fairly heavy.

Ginger
01-11-2008, 04:09 PM
If the sink is in good condition, and a bit of cleaner brightens it up. Reinstall it when you put the new formica in. Really clean it up and set it in nicely and it will look as good as new.

jimcav
01-11-2008, 04:16 PM
there is some light brown marks (scratches?) and discoloration just near the main (rt side) drain, but otherwise no chips

jim

cadence231
01-11-2008, 06:35 PM
I have found it easier to break glass things like drinking glasses in the porcelin sinks. The better quality and higher guage stainless sinks have dampening devices on the under the neath that quiet them substantially

Ginger
01-11-2008, 07:26 PM
You should be able to get the stains out...probably rust marks from pans or cans.

I grew up with stainless steel sinks and I have a porcelain sink, my glass breakage is about equal...