PDA

View Full Version : Mounting tires on Niobium Aero Rims

Sandy
01-11-2008, 08:33 AM
I bought two sets of wheels to replace the wheels that I used prior to them wearing out over time. Both of the new sets of wheels use Niobium aero rims- one 27 mm and the other 30 mm. I tried today to mount my 700x25 Continental GP 4000 tires on the 30 mm rims. I found out first that the 36 mm valve stem tubes do not work because of the depth of the rims. I had a lot of difficulty in taking the tire off the rim. I then tried to put the tire on the other 30 mm Niobium rim and just gave up temporariy as I know that I need different tubes with a longer stem and because it was extremely difficult in mounting the tires.

Is the difficulty I am having mounting the tires and taking them off (I don't use tire levers- never had to in the past with other tires) a function of my inability, or the rim, or both?

THANK YOU FOR ANY INSIGHT.

Sandy

theprep
01-11-2008, 08:43 AM
The Niobium Rims are indeed tough to get tires on/off. Mine have Velox rim tape which is thick and makes it tougher.

Try thinner rim strips, Velo plugs or Vittoria tires (big and loose).

coylifut
01-11-2008, 08:44 AM
it's the rims. wanna know how I know. because you've never had problems with other rims. lots of insight there hey?
:p

davids
01-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Sandy,

All I can offer is the nearly meaningless insight that it's hard to know how a given rim and tire are going to get along.

I've got a set of wheels built with Niobium 30 rims (with Ritchey rimstrips), and found it very difficult to get Veloflex Paves mounted. After the Paves have been inflated for a while, they become much more compliant, though, and changing tires has been pretty easy.

I went through a period where I almost always punctured at least one tube when mounting new tires. I've found that a couple things help:

1. Mount the tires completely (both beads) without mounting the tube. Sort of like pre-stretching tubulars, I think. After they've been mounted for a short time (10-15 minutes), unseat one bead, insert the tube, and then carefully work the tube over the rim and "into" the tire. Then re-mount the tire on the second bead, checking to make sure that the tube's safely out from under the tire's bead.

2. Take your time. I found this made the biggest difference for me. I only mount tires when I'm not feeling rushed. Perversely, I get it done faster.

I really like my Niobium 30 wheels. They definitely require the longer valves!

Fixed
01-11-2008, 09:53 AM
bro you think conti's are hard wait till you try to put some mich's on imho
cheers

weiwentg
01-11-2008, 10:03 AM
bro you think conti's are hard wait till you try to put some mich's on imho
cheers

huh? my mich tires went onto my Mike Garcia rims fairly easily.

lincolnsydney
01-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Put the tyres on a radiator for a bit :)

Sandy
01-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the responses. Very informative and helpful.

Sandy

soulspinner
01-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Put the tyres on a radiator for a bit :)

Bingo :beer: