PDA

View Full Version : More Floyd in the News

J.Greene
01-11-2008, 08:13 AM
Someone needs to keep this guy (http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/13885.0.html) from talking. He just looks worse imho.

JG

Elefantino
01-11-2008, 11:45 AM
I am frankly stunned that Johnson would even agree to such a farce.

Floyd's questions were well-lawyered.

goonster
01-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Who? Michael Ball? Yes, he should shut up.

Seriously, I thought Floyd's questions were straightforward and reasonable. They pertain strictly to the way USA Cycling approaches doping cases, and the answers were very straightforward, i.e. USA Cycling has delegated all doping enforcement responsibilities to the USADA, and they are currently still satisfied with that arrangement. Steve Johnson does not have a personal opinion on Floyd's guilt or innocence, but thinks he got his day in court and was not jobbed.

I think it is perfectly reasonable for Floyd to ask for a response to these questions, as USA Cycling is the federation which is responsible for protecting his rights as an athlete in international competition.

benb
01-11-2008, 12:00 PM
It's reasonable for Floyd to ask but what the heck does he think this accomplished?

There was 0 new information in that article, kind of amusing it even got published.

goonster
01-11-2008, 12:54 PM
This was Floyd's attempt to get USA Cycling's position on the record. It also lets him make his point that USA Cycling is not doing enough to stick up for the rights of its riders, or to hold WADA and USADA accountable to their own standards and protocols. Finally, it's possible (at least Floyd is creating the appearance) that Steve Johnson wouldn't go on the record unless he publically shamed into it.

Remember, Floyd's position is that the WADA/USADA is on a crusade to crush him (for various reasons which are outlined in his book).

The thing that bothers me about this case, and others, is that if (IF!) a rider were in fact to be the subject of such a crusade, on the basis of a bad test, they'd be (to quote Jason Statham from 'Snatch') proper fcuked.