PDA

View Full Version : What kind of headset should I get for my new ZANK?

shinomaster
01-10-2008, 08:12 PM
I will probably wind up with a Chris King because they are seemingly bomb- proof and King is a great sponsor for our Cross Crusade series. They show up early and serve FREE coffee and tea!!
Still, something bothers me about spending over $100 on a little headset. Should I consider anything else like a Cane Creek, or campy?

SoCalSteve
01-10-2008, 08:14 PM
I will probably wind up with a Chris King because they are seemingly bomb- proof and King is a great sponsor for our Cross Crusade series. They show up early and serve FREE coffee and tea!!
Still, something bothers me about spending over $100 on a little headset. Should I consider anything else like a Cane Creek, or campy?

No

Steve (and thats the last thing I'm gonna say on the subject)

shinomaster
01-10-2008, 08:15 PM
No, why?

Grant McLean
01-10-2008, 08:17 PM
If you wish, take the time to consider all your options.
weigh and inspect every model of headset on the market,
take all the measurements, ask for feedback,
... and then install the chris king.

:)

-g

shinomaster
01-10-2008, 08:18 PM
If you wish, take the time to consider all your options.
weigh and inspect every model of headset on the market,
take all the measurements, ask for feedback,
... and then install the chris king.

:)

-g

WHY?WHY?

Grant McLean
01-10-2008, 08:19 PM
WHY?WHY?

because it's the best headset, silly.

-g

shinomaster
01-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Ok here is the deal. I rode for years with an ultegra headset on my Paramount, which turned out to have a cracked race. I could still ride no hands, steer, and it never loosened. I didn't even know it was cracked and the bearings were dry..
I had an ultegra on my Atlanta as well. I have a chorus threadless on my Caad4 and have been riding it for four years without an overhaul (oops) and it's still smooth. My cross bikes headset seized up four times. Yes four! I just spray some lube in it after I race in the mud and it looses up and spins great. Maybe I'm just not "getting it?" What is so important about the headset anyway?

chrisroph
01-10-2008, 08:25 PM
king

will outlast any 3 other headsets

so be cheap and buy the best

also made in portland

shinomaster
01-10-2008, 08:26 PM
king

will outlast any 3 other headsets

so be cheap and buy the best

also made in portland

Good enough reason for me.

maunahaole
01-10-2008, 08:27 PM
How many dollars worth of Chris King sponsored coffee and tea have you had? This is analogous to supporting your LBS - support the business that supports your pastime. The bonus of it all is that you get a killer HS out of the deal to mount on a nice frame. If you go in the other direction, you will always wish you got the King in the first place.

shinomaster
01-10-2008, 08:30 PM
How many dollars worth of Chris King sponsored coffee and tea have you had? This is analogous to supporting your LBS - support the business that supports your pastime. The bonus of it all is that you get a killer HS out of the deal to mount on a nice frame. If you go in the other direction, you will always wish you got the King in the first place.

If the pretty color Zank I choose has a color coordinated headset, then oh hells yes I'll get one, because style is everything. Also, I have consumed a LOT of Stumptown coffee on the King's dime.

Grant McLean
01-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Ok here is the deal. I rode for years with an ultegra headset on my Paramount, which turned out to have a cracked race. I could still ride no hands, steer, and it never loosened. I didn't even know it was cracked and the bearings were dry..
I had an ultegra on my Atlanta as well. I have a chorus threadless on my Caad4 and have been riding it for four years without an overhaul (oops) and it's still smooth. My cross bikes headset seized up four times. Yes four! I just spray some lube in it after I race in the mud and it looses up and spins great. Maybe I'm just not "getting it?" What is so important about the headset anyway?

Ulterga headsets are awesome, but they are threaded only.
A chorus headset is $75-80, so what's the big deal about saving $20?
It's not like there are great headsets that are free, so what you're
considering is the difference in price between a king and the others,
it's not $100 more.

-g

shinomaster
01-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Ulterga headsets are awesome, but they are threaded only.
A chorus headset is $75-80, so what's the big deal about saving $20?
It's not like there are great headsets that are free, so what you're
considering is the difference in price between a king and the others,
it's not $100 more.

-g

Hey I'm just checking the options. I think I only paid $40 the chorus HS :)

Fixed
01-10-2008, 08:51 PM
bro... bikes always tell me i have a king and i got pampered
21 st on jan king day get a king :beer: imho

DarrenCT
01-10-2008, 08:53 PM
shino,

zank cross or road?

shinomaster
01-10-2008, 08:57 PM
It's going to be a town bike. :rolleyes: You know, like a Hybrid.

Grant McLean
01-10-2008, 09:02 PM
I think I only paid $40 the chorus HS :)

great. so you don't pay retail, and you're still too cheap to buy
a king headset at cost? oi vey. momma mia!

-g

shinomaster
01-10-2008, 09:06 PM
great. so you don't pay retail, and you're still too cheap to buy
a king headset at cost? oi vey. momma mia!

-g

Hey, some of us are poor!

coylifut
01-10-2008, 09:28 PM
you will buy and install a king headset. if you don't, Christoph won't cut the fork and build it up for you. You'll be all alone out there.

chrisroph
01-10-2008, 09:33 PM
you will buy and install a king headset. if you don't, Christoph won't cut the fork and build it up for you. You'll be all alone out there.

sometimes, terry finishes my sentences

Satellite
01-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Chris King nobody else even makes a headset. Oh did I mention to get a Chris King.

Louis
01-10-2008, 09:54 PM
In my experience expensive headsets are some of the most overrated components on bikes. I've used < 20$ headsets that for many years and thousands and thousands of miles have given me 99% of the functionality of a $100 headset. Yes, King headsets work very well, but so do a bunch of other models that aren't nearly as expensive.

Louis

DarrenCT
01-10-2008, 09:58 PM
im sure other headsets work well, HOWEVER

its not that big a $ jump to just get the best atmo

its not like the difference between a $200 shiet carbon frame
and a $6,000 carbon parlee or serotta

manet
01-10-2008, 09:59 PM
you want, you can have my chris king headset when i push it outta my spectrum. it's fried. it'd make any hybrid happy. it's silver. about 60,000 miles.

smudgecycles
01-10-2008, 10:02 PM
you want, you can have my chris king headset when i push it outta my spectrum. it's fried. it'd make any hybrid happy. it's silver. about 60,000 miles. Fried? Something that a dental pick, a parts washer and some grease can't fix.

Get a King with an FSA CX top cap. :bike:

manet
01-10-2008, 10:09 PM
its an internal flic-stand.
it's grooved to a heavy beat for too long.
it flops shut like a screen door on a hot summer nite.

SoCalSteve
01-10-2008, 11:31 PM
No, why?

Because, thats why!

nuff said'

Steve

smudgecycles
01-10-2008, 11:57 PM

bummer, with a little time and a lathe, it might make the worlds best toilet paper holder. Officially put me in line when you knock it out of the frame. ;)

chrisroph
01-11-2008, 12:19 AM

if you send it to ck they'll probably just send you a new one

Steve Hampsten
01-11-2008, 12:23 AM
bummer, with a little time and a lathe, it might make the worlds best toilet paper holder

Too late, I have that. With a Campy Tipo QR no less.

Stainless steel, Columbus dropouts, the Full Chicago.

neener neener

coylifut
01-11-2008, 01:02 AM
In my experience expensive headsets are some of the most overrated components on bikes. I've used < 20$ headsets that for many years and thousands and thousands of miles have given me 99% of the functionality of a $100 headset. Yes, King headsets work very well, but so do a bunch of other models that aren't nearly as expensive.

Louis

guessing you haven't raced a lot of cross with those cheapo headsets. think about 40+ races in a couple of years over stutter bumps while dipped in wet cement.

gdw
01-11-2008, 01:15 AM
Kings are great but Cane Creek's sealed bearing S2's are on sale at Nashbar for $14. No snob appeal but light and reliable.
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=600093&subcategory=60001191&brand=&sku=17379&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Threadless%20Head sets

shinomaster
01-11-2008, 01:59 AM
sometimes, terry finishes my sentences

Too bad he can't spell you name.. :banana:

William
01-11-2008, 04:51 AM
http://www.pubhousedialogues.com/media/blogs/curmudgeon/obi-wan-mind-trick.jpg

~You will buy a King headset.....~

~You don't need to look at other headsets....~

~They are not the headsets you are looking for....~

~Move along....~

William ;)

http://www.fireflyfans.net/bluesunimages/EB9D0A0A7CD8FAAD14AA96010F8EE40C.gif

sspielman
01-11-2008, 06:30 AM
Too late, I have that. With a Campy Tipo QR no less.

Stainless steel, Columbus dropouts, the Full Chicago.

neener neener

Photos are needed!!!

J.Greene
01-11-2008, 06:38 AM
I'm looking forward to trying the new Crank Bros headset. It's 1 1/8 only so it won't help you with your Zank, but I think I got a bike or two here that is 1 1/8.

JG

Too Tall
01-11-2008, 06:47 AM
That's settled uh whatever :rolleyes:
So tell me what bar tape you plan to RAWK HARD? WOO HOO bannana.

William, tell me you didn't spend the day making that muppets animation m'kay? I figure if you did than it's time to detox.

davids
01-11-2008, 07:01 AM
The jerk is one of the few people in the know who isn't on the CK bandwagon. But he politely shut his mouth and put one on my Peg when I asked.

Get the CK. You're putting it on a Zanconato for God's sake!

chrisroph
01-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Too bad he can't spell you name.. :banana:

neither can i

chrisroph
01-11-2008, 09:05 AM
The jerk is one of the few people in the know who isn't on the CK bandwagon. But he politely shut his mouth and put one on my Peg when I asked.

Get the CK. You're putting it on a Zanconato for God's sake!

jerk don't cross

Vancouverdave
01-11-2008, 09:30 AM
I like Chrisroph's line--"be cheap and buy the best." +1

flux
01-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Shino,

My Cane Creek Volos's do the job fine come every fall/winter. Sure Chris King's are the best (debatable) but there are a couple lateral moves to make in that dept. Also, as you insist on drinking expensive imported beer every weekend, you will be forever stuck in this rut of penny pinching your bikes all things remaining equal.

William
01-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Shino,

Also, as you insist on drinking expensive imported beer every weekend, you will be forever stuck in this rut of penny pinching your bikes all things remaining equal.

Yeah! How many Old Rasputin's are you willing to give up to get that CK??

William

lincolnsydney
01-11-2008, 10:53 AM
I run anything but CK... OK, I'm running away now :)

michael white
01-11-2008, 11:12 AM
come to think of it, I've had great luck with just about all cartridge headsets. . . still CK is a no brainer.

shinomaster
01-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Flux....I drink expensive beer every night.! :beer:

soulspinner
01-11-2008, 02:46 PM
cheap beer or cheap headsets-nobody wins there...

jerk
01-11-2008, 03:15 PM
kings are bulbous and round and look stupid on most bikes. one exception that proves the rule is how awesome this '08 colnago c50 rabobank looked with a mango chris king. so frucking perfect......

but still it looks pretty dumb on most bikes. works great sure-but most headsets work great. what shocks me is that folks will put up with these awful bottom brackets, be they isis or external or whatever with horrible drag and poor longevity yet they'll only use chris king headsets. that is the one bearing assembly that as long as something isn't pitted and its installed and adjusted correctly it doesn't make a bit of difference in terms of function.

jerk

davids
01-11-2008, 03:23 PM
kings are bulbous and round and look stupid on most bikes. one exception that proves the rule is how awesome this '08 colnago c50 rabobank looked with a mango chris king. so frucking perfect......

but still it looks pretty dumb on most bikes. works great sure-but most headsets work great. what shocks me is that folks will put up with these awful bottom brackets, be they isis or external or whatever with horrible drag and poor longevity yet they'll only use chris king headsets. that is the one bearing assembly that as long as something isn't pitted and its installed and adjusted correctly it doesn't make a bit of difference in terms of function.

jerk"Fast and bulbous" has a long, proud history. But yeah (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=459017&postcount=38).

http://www.beefheart.com/datharp/albums/related/pics/fastnbulbous_back.jpg

goonster
01-11-2008, 03:27 PM
what shocks me is that folks will put up with these awful bottom brackets, be they isis or external or whatever with horrible drag and poor longevity yet they'll only use chris king headsets.

Today is the day I learned to love The Jerk, atmo. :beer:

jchasse
01-11-2008, 03:35 PM
kings are bulbous and round and look stupid on most bikes.

jerk

:no:

jtferraro
01-11-2008, 03:41 PM
It's 1 1/8 only so it won't help you with your Zank
JG

Provided shino goes w/the curved blade fork, it's available (correct me if I'm wrong or course, Zank).

Sasha18
01-11-2008, 03:54 PM
what shocks me is that folks will put up with these awful bottom brackets, be they isis or external or whatever with horrible drag and poor longevity
jerk

What is the Bottom Bracket equivalent of Chris King? Phil Wood? How about in an external cup? Chris King needs to start making BBs.

RudAwkning
01-11-2008, 03:58 PM
If you're gonna use and abuse the headset (cyclocross, rain, commuting), buy a CK for the 10 year warranty alone.

shinomaster
01-11-2008, 04:10 PM

jerk

Wow, I never thought the Jerk and i would agree on something. No MP ultra -dork crank is going on my Zank, just an old square tapered campy. :banana:

RudAwkning
01-11-2008, 04:24 PM
kings are bulbous and round and look stupid on most bikes.
jerk

Wow. Never heard that one before. I think any headset that isn't round and bulbous looks stupid on a bike. Gimme a classic Campy style headset any day of the week over some awful, angular POS. Hell, I'd settle for a $60 FSA Orbit X.

shinomaster
01-11-2008, 04:26 PM
NAshbar has that cane creek for $14.00

RudAwkning
01-11-2008, 04:27 PM
NAshbar has that cane creek for $14.00

There's a reason. It's an awful, angular POS :D

mjb266
01-11-2008, 04:30 PM
With King's dedication to enviro/social responsibility and their commitment to making Cross Crusade happen you've got your answer. Free coffee in 50 degree mud fests...

As a cross racing Portland resident you should feel guilty even considering other options.

shinomaster
01-11-2008, 04:33 PM
With King's dedication to enviro/social responsibility and their commitment to making Cross Crusade happen you've got your answer. Free coffee in 50 degree mud fests...

As a cross racing Portland resident you should feel guilty even considering other options.

How dare you judge me.

DarrenCT
01-11-2008, 04:38 PM
cheap beer or cheap headsets-nobody wins there...

+1

although id rather have a cheap hs then a cheap beer

:beer:

shinomaster
01-11-2008, 04:40 PM
+1

Yeah me too.

Louis
01-11-2008, 04:57 PM
guessing you haven't raced a lot of cross with those cheapo headsets. think about 40+ races in a couple of years over stutter bumps while dipped in wet cement.

So Coy, exactly what would you say is the percentage of the bikes owned by all the people on this forum that are subjected to this?

coylifut
01-11-2008, 05:09 PM
So Coy, exactly what would you say is the percentage of the bikes owned by all the people on this forum that are subjected to this?

dunno, but I do know that skinny fat boy will using it in the wet and gritty environs of the PNW and power washing the bike about every fall weekend.

shinomaster
01-11-2008, 05:16 PM
dunno, but I do know that skinny fat boy will using it in the wet and gritty environs of the PNW and power washing the bike about every fall weekend.

Who you calling skinny? :) True, I think the hose damages the bike more then the races.

chrisroph
01-11-2008, 05:32 PM
that is the one bearing assembly that as long as something isn't pitted and its installed and adjusted correctly it doesn't make a bit of difference in terms of function.

true most headsets work fine for a long while, but in these parts cross bikes and winter bikes tend to go through campys, shimanos, etc much faster than kings

J.Greene
01-11-2008, 07:06 PM

soulspinner
01-11-2008, 07:07 PM
+1

I make do with fsa headsets at 50 clams and Sam Adams. :beer: