PDA

View Full Version : Gentlepersons! You ride reports pls.

Too Tall
08-09-2004, 08:42 AM
Sat. - Dang! Sometimes the weather in D.C. is actually pleasant or as they say in Mn "Not so bad". Just 3 hrs. of sub-threshold riding, very pleasant stuff with a few fast peddling efforts nothing hard. Hooked up with local cycling legend "Hank" a perennial 60+ Masters State Champ who still "has it". We rode and chatted. So many people waved at Hank that it became the routine. Hmmm wonder if my street "cred" went up or his went down ;)
Sun - Mock 40k TT in prep. for Dist. Champs this coming weekend. Gave my training partner 3 mins. "head start"...which DARN HIM...he held until the last 5 miles where I got a glimpse of him. We all expect Jon to win the regional DuAthalon Champs this yr. He is getting fast on a bike...always could run.

Did everything the same as day of except the disk. The course is deceptively hard with lots of long shallow grades and a wicked hill at the turn around. I rode at about 90% of LT the first half and than nailed it. Pretty pleased with the ride and result and will feel confident about racing at eye-bleed efforts next weekend ;) I let myself look at last yr.s winning times AFTER I did my practice run...ouch there are some fast d##ds.

And YOU???

Tom
08-09-2004, 09:18 AM
2 river loops, a short day, a couple of Mariaville loops. Finished up on Saturday with a 68-miler: BBDave, neighbor Gary and me looping over to Fultonville and back. Cold over the tops of the hills! I hope this isn't fall already... rained like hell for 5 miles in Rotterdam on the way back home, but the 15mph tailwind more than made up for it. Great day. 220 mile week.
Sunday: No ride. Worked overnight, paged at 6, covered a network validation until 10. Napped. Went to see free show in the park. Anders Osborne. Three guys: Osborne on guitar, Curtis Joseph (can't be right - he's the goalie for the Leafs I thought) on Sousaphone and the drummer from Phish, the Wild Magnolias etc. The horn player is the founder of the Dirty Dozen Brass Band - incredible sound. They were amazing. If you get a chance to see them, don't miss it. They wailed. With all the tunes of Osborne's that I've heard and he didn't play, all the N.O. tradition, their encore tune was Neil Young's 'Ohio'. They went nuts. By three quarters of the way through it you just wanted to roar with the anguish of things then and things now.
This morning: beautiful day. A fast 33, treated to the sight of a blue heron standing up to its neck in a green pond.

Bruce K
08-09-2004, 09:36 AM
This weekend I rode in my 5th Pan-Mass Challenge and it turned out that it was just about the most perfect cycling weekend I've experienced in 5 seasons.

Dry days with temps around 70, sunshine. For the most part a well behaved group (4000 cyclists).

Saturday I rode with two freinds on the 86 mile Wellesley, MA to Bourne, MA route. We averaged 18.5 mph, which for me was more than 1 mph faster for the first day of the PMC than I have ever ridden before.

Sunday I rode the return route to Wellesley (boy is that convenient!) with a couple I met from CT. We collected a few other folks as we rode and the group ranged between 5 and 9 riders. We covered the 70 miles back at about 17.8 mph average which was again about 1 mph faster than any 2nd day I have done so far.

We had no car hassles, no mechanicals, no crashes, for me it just couldn't have been any better.

Unfortunately, my freind that I was supposed to ride with on Sunday started out with a cold/flu bug on Saturday and became dehydrated despite his best efforts. The medical team pumped him up with IV's and sent him home to his family on Saturday.

Feel better David (He is a Serotts rider - Atlanta in Porsche Bebe).

BK

Kevan
08-09-2004, 09:45 AM
beautiful weekend, designed perfectly for a bike to be under ya.

Saturday, went to get lost with the pals around Westchester county's bigger resevoir systems. A total of 35 miles at a casual pace. I don't think the day reached 70 degrees.

Sunday, outdoor gauge read 50 degrees, so on went the long sleeves and vest. Leading a club ride, I rode to the starting point and immediately shed the vest, the morning was heating up perfectly, with clear skies. A- pace for 55 miles of mostly rolling countryside heading up to Ridgefield CT and back. I sorta dread leading these rides for fear of who is gonna show up and kick the ride's pace a notch or two above this guy's limited talents. We had a great time. Five of us in total, one lady, and we gave one guy with a brandy-new spankin' yellow CSi a new personal avg best of 18.7.

Not bad...not bad at all... :D

scottcw
08-09-2004, 09:58 AM
Fri. - drove to NJ to pick up my new Ottrott. Enjoyed a beautiful day out of NYC - green meadows, rivers, lakes. Got back around 9:00p.

Sat. - maiden voyage of the new Ottrott. Prospect Park loops. Sadly, this and Central Park are the only rides that I have done since moving to NYC because I do not know any rides to get out of city traffic. I need to join a cycling club. Did 20+ miles. I am still slow and heavy, but what a bike!

Sun. - Prospect Park again. 15+ miles. I had to cut it short to get back home in time to make it to the Yankee game. Still missed Bernie's grand slam because of the typically poor service of MTA. Back to the ride... I realized that I have a bad habit that comes from riding alone. I will keep a good steady pace for a while, but then I tend to start paying attention to scenery or thinking about something, causing my pace to drop. I step the pace up when I snap out of my reverie. This makes for very uneven riding and an overall slow pace. What made me notice it on Sunday was being passed at the end of the first loop by a very attractive woman. I then spent three loops maintaining a steady pace just to keep near her. I guess I need more motivation to keep my pace up...

Kevan
08-09-2004, 10:30 AM
I hate seeing someone suffer. Do yourself a favor, joint the Westchester Cycling Club and either jump in the car or jump a train and get yourself up here. From midtown you're just an hour away from some of the bestest riding in the woild! I kid you not!

All you need is a bike pass for metro-north. :D

pbbob
08-09-2004, 11:20 AM
sat. rode 25 in the neighborhood.
sun.started out with the toe clips and kickstand group of the baltimore bike club and rode the trail to annapolis and then to sandy point park on the chesapeake bay. talked bottechias and surleys with a team snow valley guy there then went home with the guys who promised to be home early because they were gone all last weekend group. 36 miles

Jack Brunk
08-09-2004, 11:30 AM
Saturday:

Rode in the first ever Mount Tam double century held in Marin County just north of San Francisco. The ride covered just over 200 miles with 15,200 feet of climbing. It was a great ride.

Sunday:

Recovery day with rest and 30 minutes of light spinning on the trainer.

Jack

SManning
08-09-2004, 11:43 AM
Saturday-Did a race prep ride around town on the road bike.

Sunday-Mtn. Bike race at Pontiac Lake Rec. Area. This was the first time that a mtn. bike race has been held at Pontiac Lake in a long time. The trail is so much fun to ride and race, but three loops (30 miles) of it was a little much. I had a great race for the first 2 1/2 laps, then I kind of pietered out and lost a couple of places there at the end. It was a tough race and I'm thrilled with the way I rode for the first 3/4's of the race.

Monday-spin and recovery. Boy does my body hurt...

William
08-09-2004, 12:12 PM
Friday:
Had some time open up in the afternoon so I jumped on the bike and did about 28 miles on some very rolling terrain out 102 into Exeter/West Greenwich. Turned onto Nooseneck Hill Rd. to Robin Hollow, Fry Pond to Weaver Hill, and back onto Nooseneck (Rt #3). Rode Rt 3 to Division and came back in through the Dunes. Then Cars Pond Rd. and back to Middle Rd. Some good step climbing with short, steep sections, nothing major (No major climbs in Rhode Island).

Saturday:
On the road by 6:30 am. Beautiful morning with a slight nip in the air. Did about 65 miles, out to the Connecticut border and back. Passed the Alton Jones Campus and Leyden's Christmas Tree farm. A quiet uneventful ride (except for the wandering teenage female cell phone talker). Did some exploring on some of the back roads...man, I'm going to need a Cyclocross bike for some of them. I don't think they have ever been re-paved since the invention of asphalt.:rolleyes:

Sunday:
Had many honey-do's on tap so I did a short 23 mile Congdon Loop. Another beautiful morning. A little on the cool side again but very refreshing. Rode hard and worked on sprinting over the tops of all the hills. A short intensive ride.

Hey Scott. I find that I have the opposite problem. When I'm on my own, I'm always pushing my self to go harder. I'm always Mentally imagining someone trying to chase me down. If I don't feel pressure against the pedals, I feel like I need to pop it down a gear and push harder. I actually find it hard to go out and just spin easily on my own. When I'm with a group, I'll ride tempo with whatever the group is doing, but on my own, I always feel like I need to push it.

William

scottcw
08-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Hey Scott. I find that I have the opposite problem. When I'm on my own, I'm always pushing my self to go harder. I'm always Mentally imagining someone trying to chase me down. If I don't feel pressure against the pedals, I feel like I need to pop it down a gear and push harder. I actually find it hard to go out and just spin easily on my own. When I'm with a group, I'll ride tempo with whatever the group is doing, but on my own, I always feel like I need to push it.

Interesting. I need someone to chase to push myself. I often chase down individual riders or pacelines just to keep focused. I can keep a good pace when motivated.

scottcw
08-09-2004, 12:29 PM
I hate seeing someone suffer. Do yourself a favor, joint the Westchester Cycling Club and either jump in the car or jump a train and get yourself up here. From midtown you're just an hour away from some of the bestest riding in the woild! I kid you not!

All you need is a bike pass for metro-north.

Just joined NYCC. I need a club that does not require travel other than by bike. I do not own a car.

Kevan
08-09-2004, 01:46 PM
here's an offer: Feel free to contact me directly and we'll schedule a ride out here for you. No big deal. I can make it as easy or as hard as you'd like. Just pick a weekend maybe in September, with promising good weather, and I'll show you some swell roads. Also, our club is sponsoring a ride the same month, the Golden Apple, which is fully supported. I encourage you to take the train up here. Keep in mind that the NYCC comes up here to escape as well.

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/mnrbikepermit.htm

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/getaways/bikerule.htm

Trains take about 1 hour to reach Chappaqua. Rides commonly leave from Millwood, 4 easy biking miles away from the station. Rides also leave from SUNY Purchase, then perhaps Port Chester is the closest station about 5 miles away.

http://www.westchestercycleclub.org/

SteveE
08-09-2004, 02:01 PM
Friday: Did about 48 solo miles -- up through Portola Valley and Woodside --- averaged 18.5 mph

Saturday: Led club ride. Headed up Old La Honda and rode north on Skyline Blvd. to King's Mtn. I had a flat, so I was leading from the rear for the stretch on Skyline. After the descent and a quick water stop, we headed out to Portola Valley for a bit more climbing on Westridge before heading back to Peet's for coffee. 55 miles, 15.5 mph

Sunday: Went on on the A-ride but the legs were tired. I took the longer, easier way up to Skyline via King's Mtn whilst the rest of the bunch took the shorter, steeper route through the back entrance to Huddart Park. I arrived at the main entrance to the park as the pack was coming up. After climbing up to the summit we headed north to Hwy 92 and descended back down and returned via Crystal Springs/Polhemous. Again I wimped out and opted not to climb a steep pitch called Tartan Trail. 65 miles, 18.2 mph.

scottcw
08-09-2004, 02:03 PM
here's an offer: Feel free to contact me directly and we'll schedule a ride out here for you.

Thanks Kevan. I will take you up on that.

jeffg
08-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Saturday:

Rode in the first ever Mount Tam double century held in Marin County just north of San Francisco. The ride covered just over 200 miles with 15,200 feet of climbing. It was a great ride.

Jack --

Congrats! That sounds like a fantastic ride. I managed to hit the Terrible Two and Devil Mountain this year, but I will certainly give Mt. Tam a try if I can get myself back to the Bay Area. Details? :banana: :banana:

Jack Brunk
08-09-2004, 02:52 PM
JeffG,

You did the two toughest rides on the triple crown circuit. Tam would have given you the ultimate triple crown being the third toughest rated DC. It was a great ride and next year I want to do the TT, devil mountain and Mt. Tam. Hopefully you can make it out for one more DC for your triple crown.

Jack

93legendti
08-09-2004, 03:01 PM

Sunday-Mtn. Bike race at Pontiac Lake Rec. Area. This was the first time that a mtn. bike race has been held at Pontiac Lake in a long time. The trail is so much fun to ride and race, but three loops (30 miles) of it was a little much. I had a great race for the first 2 1/2 laps, then I kind of pietered out and lost a couple of places there at the end. It was a tough race and I'm thrilled with the way I rode for the first 3/4's of the race.

Do you ride w/ the Wolverines?

BumbleBeeDave
08-09-2004, 09:14 PM
Sunday, 8-1 . . . River loop to welcome me back from two week vacation crosscountry drive to Kansas City. 31 miles, 19.8 average. I only did about 70 miles each week on vacation and the active rest did me good. I was FLYIN’! . . .

Tuesday, 8-3 . . . River loop again, this time on the David Ryan memorial ride . . . Waited for my buddy Jeff and we were last two to finish--in a steady rain. Yuck! 31.5 miles, 17.6 average.

Wednesday, 8-4 . . . Mountain bike on the Mohawk Hudson Bikeway because it looked like rain. Never did break loose, though. 21.87, 17.2 average on my Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo with semi-slicks. Midpoint split was 18.2 average. Energetic evening . . .

Thursday, 8-5 . . . Schenectady Cycling Club Show & Go . . . Up route 160 hill--Ouch!--and down Gregg Road. My first time down this “limited seasonal use” mule track. It’s a great climb, but I am NOT coming down that hill again. Fresh gravel on oil, and long poorly paved single lane section full of holes. I could smell my brakes be the time I reached the bottom. 36.6 miles, 17.2 average.

Saturday, 8-7 . . . 70.36 miles, 17.5 average. That great ride through the hills to Fultonville that Tom mentions above. I have never seen things so green and with so many wildflowers in August. We’ve had lots of rain. Coming down Miller’s Corners Road we passed a couple of dogs, with me in the lead, then Gary, then Tom. I had been by and knew the dogs. They’re kinda dim--takes them a few seconds after they see you to figure out, “Oh. Yeah, Fang. We’re supposed to CHASE these guys!“ By that time you’re gone. But today Gary yelled at me to come back--that it looked like they had gotten Tom! So we circled back and found they had him right where HE wanted THEM . . he was petting them and they are licking his hand. Big, goofy looking Airedale (the dog, not Tom) and a Theresa Kerry Heinz-57 hound of some sort. Yes, we DID get rained on, but a great ride nonetheless.

Sunday, 8-8 . . . Met at Lake George Village at 7am, then went on the twice annual, unsponsored, unsupported “Ti Ride”, so-named because you ride from Lake George to Fort Ticonderoga, then ride back on the “Mohican” tour boat. 42 miles up there, 16.8 average. Ate lunch on the boat and enjoyed 2.5 hours of spectacular Lake George scenery. WOW! You should try it. It’s the second Sundays of July and August and we had perfect weather for this one. Spectacular ride . . . and, I’m a CELEBRITY! I was riding next to Travis, who said he had been talking to a biz associate in Texas who is a Serotta owner. Travis told him where he lives and the Texan told him to “Watch out for a guy on a yellow and black Legend with bumble bees on it!” Anybody want my autograph? ;) Also, a woman in KC with a new Ottrott was talking with me and also exclaimed, “Oh, My God! It’s the Queen Bee!” when she saw the bike. Unfortunately, her boyfriend was with her . . . Curses!

233 miles for the 8 day week.

BBDave

M_A_Martin
08-09-2004, 09:46 PM
KC? And I thought *I* was geographically undesirable!

Due to circumstances under my control, I hadn't been able to ride since Wednesday. Never the less, I had my bike with me Sunday on my trip out to my Dad's and didn't ride then either...then on the way home I started thinking...You have your bike, the road has a decent shoulder...traffic is there, but not as bad as that at home...why are you driving home?
Drove 15 miles back to dad's got changed and rode a brisk, flat 25 miles with a crosswind.
Traffic was doing 60 or better but most of it would pull into the other lane to pass me (as they should) and I was riding out on the shoulder. So all in all it was a much better ride than anything around my house. Only a few trailer idiots, no dogs. (On that ride if they're not kept by the house they're probably Flat Fido)

Oh, 25 miles, 2 stop signs (well, same sign, out and back). I love rides like that where you can just pedal and pedal and pedal and not stop!

SManning
08-10-2004, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SManning

Do you ride w/ the Wolverines?

Legendti-

No I don't ride with them. I'm a member of the Ann Arbor Velo Club.

Sarah

davids
08-12-2004, 04:00 PM
Wednesday: My normal loop, 21 miles at 17.2 mph. All alone, but having fun.

Friday: Day off, and leaving for VT and Montreal as soon as I'm ready. But first, 26.5 miles, this time averaging 17.4 mph. We leave at 9:30, and I'm fresh as a daisy, ready for hours behind the wheel.

Lunch at Ben & Jerry's in Waterbury, and then on to Shelburne. My wife and I see Lucinda Williams on the grounds of the Shelburne Museum. The forecast calls for 10% chance of rain, and by the first encore it's pouring. Lucinda's impressed that the crowd doesn't want to go home, and the band blasts through three crackling songs that nearly part the clouds. Back to the hotel, happy and sodden.

Saturday: On to Montreal. After my initial intimidation with this Francophone city, I begin to notice all the bikes on the street - Everywhere we go, people are riding! I initially think this has to do with the nearby university (we're staying 3 blocks from McGill), but soon realize that people here actually ride their bikes to get around. There's bikes on the streets, bikes in the public bike racks, bikes everywhere! Most are typical city bikes - cheap, beaten up, and practical.

Monday: We rent a tandem, something so cheap that I don't remember the brand name, and tool around the city, on the Vieux-Montreal waterfront, along the Verdun Canal, over to the Expo 67 site on Ile Ste-Helene, and then finally over to the Botanical Garden in Parc Maisoneuve. (It's my first experience on a tandem, and let's put it this way; I won't pass judgement on the tandem experience, since the bike wasn't going to pass muster for any kind of real riding...)

And we discover the coolest thing by far - Beyond miles and miles of bike paths, there are a number of major thoroughfares with dedicated bike lanes. Not simply painted lines on the edge of the street - a whole separate two-lane paved street, with a elevated curb separating it from the "real" street used by cars, buses, and trucks! And on the trip back downtown from the Botanical Garden, it's swarming with cyclists! I've never seen anything like this - And this is in a city where it's too cold and snowy for most folks for months every year.

I'm very, very impressed. :)

Thursday: Back to Boston and my routine. 21 miles in the morning, averaging 17.1. For a mile or two I ride with a couple who I've met before, after we wave 'hello' at the top of Chickatawbut Hill. Good to be back on my bike, good to push myself. Looking forward to a long ride this weekend...