PDA

View Full Version : ot kitchen counter resurface

jimcav
01-10-2008, 11:32 AM
anyone sold recently or in the business--we have formica that has some cuts and chips, would tile be okay or is it better to go with a solid surface product?
if tile is okay, is small or large better.
tile is much cheaper, but if it really helps the house show well (recoup the cost?)) i will do the other.
thanks
jim

Ginger
01-10-2008, 11:33 AM
tile cheaper than formica?

I think you might want to recheck your sources.

TAW
01-10-2008, 11:40 AM
I removed a sink and counter top from a vanity and built a new countertop and tiled over it. Very cheap, as tile is about 14 cents per 4x4 square. The only other cost is grout and adhesive. Easy to work with, and easy to do. I'd recommend it over putting a formica one in. It looks great and tile is "in" right now.

jimcav
01-10-2008, 11:41 AM
we want to 86 the formica, and put in something else.
I can do tile myself, but my wife thinks the standard is solid surface and it will help sell the place (she also says no linoleum on the floor--but i can throw down pergo or tile there--am scouring craigslist for a deal).
anyway thanks
jim

jimcav
01-10-2008, 11:42 AM
I removed a sink and counter top from a vanity and built a new countertop and tiled over it. Very cheap, as tile is about 14 cents per 4x4 square. The only other cost is grout and adhesive. Easy to work with, and easy to do. I'd recommend it over putting a formica one in. It looks great and tile is "in" right now.

simple solid ceramic is back in?
great news
jim

guyintense
01-10-2008, 11:58 AM
The line here in Las Vegas is "so you went with granite huh, you couldn't afford Corian?"

Ken Robb
01-10-2008, 12:13 PM
I have seen some nice counters in granite tiles--lots cheaper than a custom slab and quite good for sales of less-than-luxury mansions.

davids
01-10-2008, 12:32 PM
We re-did our kitchen a few years back, and I was totally convinced I wanted granite or Corian counters. Until, at the cabinet store, I got an answer to my question, "What's the differential between granite/Corian and Formica?"

"It's about ten times more." For us, that would have been about $20k vs. $2k...

So, say I'm going to enjoy my kitchen for the next twenty years. I could replace my Formica countertops every two years, and still come out even in terms of expense.

We got Formica. It's available in lots of subtle to funky designs. After five years, it still looks just great.

cadence90
01-10-2008, 01:40 PM
.... ..

Johnnyg
01-10-2008, 01:47 PM
anyone sold recently or in the business--we have formica that has some cuts and chips, would tile be okay or is it better to go with a solid surface product?
if tile is okay, is small or large better.
tile is much cheaper, but if it really helps the house show well (recoup the cost?)) i will do the other.
thanks
jim
Jim I love my Granite but recouping coast, probably not. JohnnyG

cadence90
01-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Jim I love my Granite but recouping coast, probably not. JohnnyG
That depends on the other finishes already in the house.
If granite is "the best house on the worst street" type of thing, you're right, cost will not be recouped.
But if the house already has high-quality finish materials and cabinetry, etc., then it will help recoup cost.
Think global, act local....

Ginger
01-10-2008, 02:04 PM
That is an important thing. "Appropriate upgrades for the area"

I live in an interesting neighborhood that is currently in flux. None of the houses are huge, but people are coming in and re-doing them, sometimes to ridiculous levels, but it's ridiculous levels for the area. If the houses were 5 miles north? some of the upgrades would be common. But in the current neighborhood? Not so much.

That said, I'm currently re-doing my downstairs bathroom to turn it into a real full bathroom. (It could only lay minor claim to being a bathroom before...then bad things happened...so now that I'm forced to redo it, it will be a full "real" bathroom.)

Remods, always entertaining.

72gmc
01-10-2008, 02:17 PM
I love tile countertops, even though cleaning them is more work. But in my experience they're highly subject to personal taste, and perhaps not the best choice for resale.

znfdl
01-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Jim:

Ginger makes some very good points. Wjat is your neighborhood like?

For me, Silestone won and the wife and I love it.

dookie
01-10-2008, 02:44 PM
you will get very tired of cleaning the grout lines, no matter how well sealed. and they will need to be resealed regularly. if you must tile, use epoxy grout. it's a pain to work with, but cures to an impervious, stainproof state (this does not mean 'dirtproof').

davids...i hope you have substantially more counterspace than shown in the photo! what color granite were you looking at? anything with blue in it is brutally expensive. there are much cheaper alternatives however...the attached photo shows ~$3.5k (including install) worth of granite. it also needs to be sealed, though once a year is sufficient.

but if you're looking strictly for an eyewash prior to resale, do the formica. simple, easy, cheap.

jimcav
01-10-2008, 02:57 PM
foyer with laminate wood floor into hallway, then carpet everywhere except bath and kitchen is linoleum. cabinets are white, one to left of sink has glass door. formica kitchen. some neighbors have tile. a guy i ride with just tiled his kitchen floor. maybe i'd do better to just do the kitchen floor. i just put in solid surface bathroom vanity tops with integrated sink, new faucets in each bathroom.
appreciate the info here--i trust the forum concensus for some reason much more than just general googled info. I guees because you see so many different conversations here you get a feel for the people, and often the topic is what someone does/did/knows for a living.

jim

William
01-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Currently running 1" thick oak counter top, varnished to a high sheen. Collor compliments the old wide plank floor. I have been considering soapstone. To start off with the sink at least. Pull the stainless and go soapstone would be more in character with the age of our house. Then possible counter tops. I still like the oak but the soapstone has appeal.

http://www.soapstone-co.com/showroom/showroom.html

William

woolly
01-10-2008, 03:16 PM
http://www.kitchensurfacealternatives.com/

This is what we're going with when we replace our formica. We've visited the showroom, and were very impressed with what you get for a surprisingly small amount of money. Also have two friends that had this done a few years ago, and they've been nothing but happy with it - very durable. The current pictures on their website certainly don't do it justice. If I had to compare the look, I'd say it's closer to Corian than anything else.

Might want to look around for a similar provider in your area. Good luck!

barry1021
01-10-2008, 03:20 PM
I love tile countertops, even though cleaning them is more work. But in my experience they're highly subject to personal taste, and perhaps not the best choice for resale.

depends on the style, but where we are, kitchen tile on the counters is generally a negative, esp the 4x4's

b21

cadence90
01-10-2008, 03:34 PM
foyer with laminate wood floor into hallway, then carpet everywhere except bath and kitchen is linoleum. cabinets are white, one to left of sink has glass door. formica kitchen. some neighbors have tile. a guy i ride with just tiled his kitchen floor. maybe i'd do better to just do the kitchen floor. i just put in solid surface bathroom vanity tops with integrated sink, new faucets in each bathroom.
appreciate the info here--i trust the forum concensus for some reason much more than just general googled info. I guees because you see so many different conversations here you get a feel for the people, and often the topic is what someone does/did/knows for a living.

jim
How to judge the neighborhood...in terms of how much/what to invest....

Are you already working with a good real estate agent?
Do you have comparative appraisals of houses in the area?
Do you know a good local architect or reputable contractor?
Those people can help.

It sounds like the choices you've made so far are appropriate and correct.
Keep things simple: you're selling, not going to live there much longer.

Palm is a better (more durable) alternative to bamboo flooring: Durapalm (http://www.durapalm.com/index.html) is a good product.

Sustainable, natural, LEED-rated materials have a higher recoup benefit right now, at least in major markets.

jimcav
01-10-2008, 04:39 PM
http://www.kitchensurfacealternatives.com/

This is what we're going with when we replace our formica. We've visited the showroom, and were very impressed with what you get for a surprisingly small amount of money. Also have two friends that had this done a few years ago, and they've been nothing but happy with it - very durable. The current pictures on their website certainly don't do it justice. If I had to compare the look, I'd say it's closer to Corian than anything else.

Might want to look around for a similar provider in your area. Good luck!

i googled for it near seattle and got zilch--thanks though

ridemoreoften
01-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Call a granite fabricator. You would be amazed at the "scrap" pieces available at less cost than tile. Don't know the dimensions, but have seen bathrooom vanity tops be set up with granite scraps for less than $200. It's all about the supplier cutting large slabs for jobs and having left overs which they sell cheap.

Ken Robb
01-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Call a granite fabricator. You would be amazed at the "scrap" pieces available at less cost than tile. Don't know the dimensions, but have seen bathrooom vanity tops be set up with granite scraps for less than $200. It's all about the supplier cutting large slabs for jobs and having left overs which they sell cheap.

The contractor who did our kitchen had lots of leftovers and they would be a great deal if you can find them big enough or your kitchen. He said they often use them in bathrooms where smaller sizes prevail.

Ken Robb
01-10-2008, 09:04 PM
We re-did our kitchen a few years back, and I was totally convinced I wanted granite or Corian counters. Until, at the cabinet store, I got an answer to my question, "What's the differential between granite/Corian and Formica?"

"It's about ten times more." For us, that would have been about $20k vs. $2k...

So, say I'm going to enjoy my kitchen for the next twenty years. I could replace my Formica countertops every two years, and still come out even in terms of expense.

We got Formica. It's available in lots of subtle to funky designs. After five years, it still looks just great.

WOW! Unless there is a lot more kitchen than I can see in this photo your area is way more expensive than good old "bargain basement" San Diego.

Louis
01-10-2008, 09:31 PM
A buddy of mine at work recently resurfaced his counter and switched to tile. In my opinion it a) looked like hell, (reminded me of a bathroom) and b) will be a real PITA to clean. Lots of little channels to catch the crumbs and whatever else ends up on there. One is constantly wiping the counter, and the easier it is to clean the better.

My input: Go with a decent quality, matching Formica and if the buyer wants to upgrade he can go at it himself later.

The only real advantage of you doing an expensive refurbishment of anything in the house before selling it is that the costs are rolled into the purchase price and the buyer gets to amortize the cost over the life of the mortgage at about the lowest cost possible. If he were to do it later he has to come up with the cash up front or get a home-improvement loan at rates that are likely not as good.

The down sides: You might not do it exactly as the buyer might want, and it jacks up your asking price, which potentially reduces the range of buyers who might be interested.

Louis

rwsaunders
01-10-2008, 09:32 PM
If you're looking to get out and the market is moving, go the easy way and install a high quality plastic laminate. If the neighborhood warrants it, granite.

Ten years of having granite in the kitchen and I wouldn't have another product. It looks great, wears well and is problem free. Perhaps look for a thinner slab with an edge treatment.

manet
01-10-2008, 09:51 PM
manet's laws:

DO NOT tile your kitchen counters, unless you desire screwy uneven, nook and cranny dirt attracting surfaces. it also gives a very complicated, busy look... often confusing to the eye. tile up close does that. they are not indestructible, they can break and chip when not put on a solid, appropriate substrate.

formica, for all the evil high-end-wanna-bees want to place on it, is really quite a good material, especially solid color core. done well, and cared for by normal (not too abusive) kitchen folk is long lasting and cost efficient.

natural materials are lovely and all but if YOU DON'T HAVE THE $$ then don't try to fit it in!!

but, if you can afford it, i highly recommend Black Absolute for those with a MOD aesthetic. honed, warm black granite.

xoxo,
manet, renovator in a prior life

manet
01-10-2008, 09:53 PM
ps _ put shiite in your house you want. forget about re-sale value.

DarrenCT
01-10-2008, 09:59 PM

BINGO

also, more so for small pieces like in a bathroom

Dekonick
01-10-2008, 10:35 PM
You can also mix it up -

a granite area near the stove - tile elsewhere...

get creative

:)

davids
01-11-2008, 06:49 AM
davids...i hope you have substantially more counterspace than shown in the photo! what color granite were you looking at? anything with blue in it is brutally expensive. there are much cheaper alternatives however...the attached photo shows ~$3.5k (including install) worth of granite. it also needs to be sealed, though once a year is sufficient.There's twice as much out of sight. Maybe it was $200 vs. $2000. Time has passed... ;)

Anyway, the cost factor was the crucial point, and granite or Corian : Formica was definitely a 10:1 price factor.

djg
01-11-2008, 07:17 AM
Clean and new and coordinated with the rest of the kitchen is vastly better than worn. After that, it's hard to know what will get you your money back -- certain high end upgrades appeal very much to some buyers and not at all to others. Real estate is a funny business -- it's chiefly about the market, location, and square footage, but there's significant variance and not a little of that seems to hang on what appeals to -- or turns off -- some individual (or couple) buyer. We got, by all accounts, a very good deal on our house partly because the estate (the brother and nephews of the deceased business woman who had lived by herself in the five bedroom house for 38 years) fought over the details of sprucing it up for sale. They'd put in nice black granite counters, but somebody had balked at replacing the genuinely worn -- and, in a couple of places, torn -- linoleum floor in the kitchen. I guess they'd spent more than they'd planned on a partial renovation and were arguing amongst themselves about what to do. It looked like crap, and the sign saying they'd offer 600 bucks towards a new floor didn't really help. There were a few other things like that, although that was the most conspicuous -- cheap to fix, but really detrimental to the post-curb appeal. We bought it a couple of weeks after they had taken it off the market, where it had languished for 5 months despite a series of price reductions.

I really like the granite for my USE of the kitchen -- it's not just nice looking, it's a cool, smooth surface, which is useful, and I can set a hot pan down on it without thinking about it (not so with corian). It's especially nice with a four burner stove to be able to shove a pan off to the side to make room. It is expensive, though, and some of it more expensive than others. Whether it's worthwhile for sale, I cannot say. I'd talk to the realtor and ask about examples and think long and hard about it if you have a lot of counter space. It's also possible, depending on kitchen layout, to coordinate more expensive materials with less expensive ones in a way that both looks good and is functional.

rwsaunders
01-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Do you have a backsplash in place? If not, that's a relatively inexpensive kitchen component that you can do yourself, in conjunction with a countertop.

Post "before" photos and all of us Martha Stewart wannabees will have more comments. :cool:

jimcav
01-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Do you have a backsplash in place? If not, that's a relatively inexpensive kitchen component that you can do yourself, in conjunction with a countertop.

Post "before" photos and all of us Martha Stewart wannabees will have more comments. :cool:

you've all seem my stove and the small counter top there--it is where i snap bike pics.

manet--maybe i don't have formica--i thought that is what it is, it is a laminate over partical board/mdf stuff.

thanks
jim