PDA

View Full Version : Leather saddle color vs. longevity

mschol17
01-10-2008, 10:29 AM
In high school, I was looking to buy an expensive catcher's mitt. My coach suggested that if I wanted one that would break in faster I should get a black glove, since the dye used in coloring the otherwise tan leather aided in breaking in the glove. However, the reported trade-off was that black gloves didn't last nearly as long as tan gloves.

With the current high cost of titanium Brooks saddles, I wonder if there is any correlation between the color of the saddle and it's longevity. I've only had one saddle, a honey b.17 that is holding up very well after 6k miles. Recognizing that some people on the board have had multiple brooks saddles with lots of miles on them, does anyone have any anecdotal evidence to support this theory?

dave thompson
01-10-2008, 10:37 AM
I think the color of the leather has less to do with its longevity than the way the leather was dyed. Some methods of dying and finishing leather make it more "fragile" than others. I've seen Brooks saddles in black, dark brown and honey that were over a decade old and not coming apart. Black and dark brown have been the standard colors of Brooks for a hundred years.

J.Greene
01-10-2008, 10:38 AM
I still have my tan catchers mit from 1985-87. It's still in awesome shape.

JG

MilanoTom
01-10-2008, 10:44 AM
I don't think anecdotal evidence is really evidence, but I didn't do so hot in high school physics, so don't go by me.

I had a honey b-17 that started getting soft almost immedately. It ended up being unridable for me, so I gave it to a (now former) girlfriend. On the other hand, I have a honey Swift that has stayed pretty firm (most likely since it's spent the last four years in a parts bin). Seriously, I've heard that the "higher end" models use a thicker leather, but beyond that, your guess is as good as mine.

Tom

RudAwkning
01-10-2008, 11:14 AM
I don't think anecdotal evidence is really evidence, but I didn't do so hot in high school physics, so don't go by me.

I had a honey b-17 that started getting soft almost immedately. It ended up being unridable for me, so I gave it to a (now former) girlfriend. On the other hand, I have a honey Swift that has stayed pretty firm (most likely since it's spent the last four years in a parts bin). Seriously, I've heard that the "higher end" models use a thicker leather, but beyond that, your guess is as good as mine.

Tom

The consistency of the leather has gone up and down with Brooks over the years. I've noticed that the quality seems to be pretty good over the last 2 years though.

It also depends on how you treat them too. Some people use waaaay too much Proofide. And I've read that some people (I ***** you not) would boil them first and them beat them with a baseball bat to "assist" with the break in.

Kevan
01-10-2008, 11:35 AM
if the saddle lasts longer than the cow did.

WadePatton
01-10-2008, 11:50 AM
The only black one I have is on my mountain bike. And it was a NOS 70's job. Still breaking it in--it feels fine, just not showing any wear at all.

And I did soak that one in oil as it was berry brittle and dry when I got it. The (brown)Swift and B-17 I have aren't showing much wear either... I should ride more. :rolleyes:

I do think the quality of the hide-which will vary by necessity-would have more to do with durability than color...