PDA

View Full Version : Pan Mass Challenge!!

quattro
08-09-2004, 08:41 AM
This past weekend I completed the Pan Mass Challenge (PMC), a two day 194 mile fund raising bike ride from Sturbridge, MA to Provincetown, MA. This was the 25th Anniversary of the PMC, with this years fundraising the total raised funds over 25 years will reach $120,000,000. This ride is known as one of the most successful fund raising event in the country. The weekend was a major success with anticipated fundraising of $17,000,000 to support the Jimmy Fund and the Dana-Farber Cancer Research Institute. Over $.92 of every dollar goes directly to the Dana-Farber Cancer Research Institute to support research for finding cures for cancer. To learn more about this wonderful event visit the PMC web site at www.pmc.org

The weather could not have been better, low 70's, cloudless sky and very dry. Within the first few hours of the ride on Saturday morning I literally lost count of all the Serrota's on the road, they were very well represented.

If anyone is interested in making a donation to PMC please follow the attached link to the PMC site, and I would sincerely appreciate it if you would make it through my fundraising effort as follows:using a credit card visit the PMC web site at www.pmc.org click on egift, at the rider’s egift id type MM0206, follow the on screen directions. My rider profile is attache to this link.The PMC is a 501 (c) 3 tax-exempt organization.

Thank you for reading and for your support of this fundraising effort.

Too Tall
08-09-2004, 08:48 AM
Way to go. Congrats. I am ESPECIALLY impressed with your $$s : Overhead ratio. That indicates real grassroots dedication. Awesome.

Bruce K
08-09-2004, 10:04 AM
quattro you PMC-slut you :) Way to go. Which route did you ride?

I was there too. What were you riding? See ride report thread for my thoughts.

I have been doing this event for 5 years now and just find it more inspiring each time. After 3 Strubridge to P'towns and 1 Wellesley to P'town last year with my then 15-year okd son, I opted for the Wellesley round trip this year due to family logistics.

Did you meet the rider with 1 leg and 1 lung lost to cancer? He rode the whole way from Sturbridge to P'town.

Did you meet the guy on the tandem whose wife developed sciatica on Thrusday and was told by her MD not to ride? He left his road bike home and rode the tandem anyway because they had comitted to riding the tandem to some freinds.

I rode on Saturday with a guy who's daughter is a survivor at age 5. She was diagnosed at age 6 months and Dana Farber and the Jimmy Fund were there for her.

You folks should check out the website as quattro said. It is an amazing event.

For those of you so inclined (and thanks BBDave and M-A for your support) my eGift ID is BK0030.

This event and this cause is so important. Thanks for joining in quattro.

BTW, there was a rumor floating around that BEn and Co. may help try to organize a team for Serotta owners through Ciclissimo Classico for next years PMC. Wouldn't that be cool?

BK

scottcw
08-09-2004, 10:24 AM
What is the "Jimmy Fund?" Jimmy Carter? Jimmy Buffett? Jimmy V.?

Bruce K
08-09-2004, 11:08 AM
Scott;

The Jimmy Fund is a charitable organization in Boston that funds cancer research in kids through the Dana Farber Cancer Institute.

It has been doing great work for years and has a major supporter in the Boston Red Sox.

The Pan-Mass Challenge is the largest single donor to the Jimmy Fund and The Dana Farber Cancer Institute. It is also the largest single event sports fund-raising event in the US. As quattro said it is also one of the most efficient at approximately $.92 out of every dollar getting to Dana Farber.

With this year's anticipated donation of approximately $17Million the PMC will have raised $120Million over the last 25 years.

Ridership has grown from 36 the first year to over 4,000 riders and over 2,000 volunteers who drive sag wagons, handle registration, fix bikes, haul luggage, cook food for all the meals, mark the course, etc. etc. etc.

There are mulitple routes both 1-day and 2-day ranging from 70 (1-day Sunday Bourne, MA to Wellesley, MA) to the "traditional route" of 192 (2-days Strubridge, MA to Provincetown, MA).

You can check out the whole story at www.jimmyfund.org and www.pmc.org

As I said, it is an amazing event.

BK

scottcw
08-09-2004, 11:15 AM
It has been doing great work for years and has a major supporter in the Boston Red Sox.

Wow, as a big Yankee fan... ;)

quattro
08-09-2004, 11:25 AM
Scott I too am a Yankee fan (living outside of Boston I might add) and eventhough the PMC jersey sports the Red Sox insignia on its sleeves this was my third year riding and raising funds for the PMC. I am able to look past the fact I have to sport a Red Sox insignia on anything I put on my body because of their huge involvment and support of this effort, one that needs everyones funding and support to find a cure for cancer in our life time. So, we Yankee fans can put aside our dislike of the Red Sox on the field and thank them for their generous support of the Jimmy Fund and the Dana-Farber Cancer Research Institute. They are known as the presenting sponsor of the PMC and donate in excess of $1.5M to this cause.

scottcw
08-09-2004, 12:23 PM
I was completely joking, thus the winking icon. Loyalty to the Yanks would not stop me from contributing to a great cause.