PDA

View Full Version : Ed Pavelka and RBR

rpm
01-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Instead of the weekly Road Bike Review Newsletter in my mailbox this morning there was this. How awful. Ed and Fred are good guys.

"We've had to suspend regular newsletter publication this week due to complications suffered by RBR editor/publisher Ed Pavelka after his hip replacement surgery in late December.

Several hours after he clicked the "send" button to e-mail last week's issue to you, Ed was back in the hospital. He suffered a blood clot in his left groin that moved to his right lung. This is called a pulmonary embolism.

A subsequent CAT scan found about 2 pints (1/2 liter) of fluid in the chest cavity between his lung and chest wall. This caused severe pain when making almost any movement, which, unfortunately, included breathing.

As you read this, Ed is still in the hospital. He's among a tiny percentage of pulmonary embolism victims who suffer the double whammy of pulmonary infarction, meaning a portion of the lung has died.

This nightmare began in June 2007 when Ed fractured the neck of his left femur during a transcontinental ride. Improper bone healing and the onset of avascular necrosis required a total hip replacement on Dec. 21.

We hope all RBR operations will be back to normal next Thursday, although that may be asking too much too soon. If no newsletter arrives, look for one on Jan. 24. Meanwhile, thanks for your patience and support during this down time."

bocarider
01-10-2008, 08:58 AM
I saw that this morning too. Very sad - the RBR guys are very nice and put out a great newsletter.

Hope the guy gets better soon.

mcteague
01-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Yeah, I read that this morning and it really bummed me out. I have always thought of Ed as the "Energizer Bunny" of cycling. Sure hope he gets well but, after reading this latest development, I don't see how he will ever get back to his previous form.

Tim McTeague

LegendRider
01-10-2008, 10:07 AM
I had an awful sinking feeling after reading the article. I broke my hip in 1998 (yes, crash) and the threat of avascular necrosis was terrifying. Thankfully, I avoided it, but I was in my early 30s. It sounds like his luck couldn't be worse. And, as I understand, it very hard to predict if avascular necrosis will strike - athletes like Bo Jackson get iy and 80lb old ladies don't in some cases...

Fixed
01-10-2008, 10:14 AM
bro bad news for the bro I hope he gets good news soon thoughts and prayers imho
cheers

znfdl
01-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Yes, very bad news and I hope that he has a speedy recovery.

It was bad when Ed left the tour, as the Elite tour experienced a number of crashes over a few days, which resulted in people withdrawing. Ed was riding incredible strong when he went down.

I hope that in the future I will be able to ride with him.

chrisroph
01-10-2008, 10:51 AM
thoughts and prayers and hoping for the best

R2D2
01-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Prayers on the way.

jimcav
01-10-2008, 11:05 AM
and will pray the femur heals well.

terrible news

gasman
01-10-2008, 11:14 AM
What a sad complication. I've always enjoyed the newsletter. I bet he will be back on the bike but it's going to be a very slow recovery. Best of luck to him and his family.