PDA

View Full Version : Bouré jacket report

saab2000
01-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Rode outside today! :banana:

Just 25 miles and not very fast, but a ride on Jan. 9 is a ride on Jan. 9 and I ain't gonna complain!

The jacket seems nice. The XL is actually a bit too big but that's OK. But the somewhat disappointing thing is that their so-called "Wind Blocking" material doesn't hold a candle to Gore Windstopper®. I layered up pretty good. It was about 42F degrees outside with a light/moderate wind and I could definitely feel the breeze through the sleeves. I was wearing a vest under the jacket so didn't feel it at the torso.

My other impression is that it really wouldn't be enough for sub 35 weather. I know that not much is good at that temp, but it is advertised as being a pretty heavy jacket, but it's not.

That said, it seems well constructed and it's made in the US by a company owned by a cyclist. Cool. Employs local people. I like that.

But the cut isn't particularly athletic. Seems a bit made for dudes with something of a pot belly. Seriously. I am not especially thin and it really is a bit baggy around the waist.

Also, for a winter jacket, why is the back all black? The front is yellow, but the back is black. And no reflective material anywhere.

It's a nice jacket, but I guess I had been hoping for a bit more. My Castelli which finally wore out after about 10 years was a better winter riding jacket.

That said, I would be prepared to buy more stuff and experiment more with Bouré clothing.

R2D2
01-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Which model jacket?
The back may be black to absorb heat from the winter sun.

chuckred
01-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Boure shorts are great all day shorts if you don't like to feel like you're wearing a diaper - very nice minimalist chamois...

saab2000
01-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Which model jacket?
The back may be black to absorb heat from the winter sun.

It's the thermal jacket.

Not saying it's a bad jacket. I expect to have it a long time. But I think it could have been built for colder temps. I think it is a good jacket for 40-55 degrees. But for colder I think it is limited.

That said, the price is also reasonable. It was $150. Assos and other big name jackets can be twice that or three times or more than that.

Moosedryvr
01-09-2008, 07:07 PM
S2K,
Sorry to hear that the jacket isn't what you expected. I, too, have had great success with their shorts, but haven't tried anything else. From what I understand Boure has an very liberal return program (they run crazy internet specials on their returned items and it looks like they'll even take back custom tailored items), so I wouldn't hang onto it if its not what you were hoping for. Based on the interactions I've had with them, they really want you to be happy with their products and are willing to go the extra mile to ensure that. Send the jacket back and buy something else later to support this great company. I think they, and maybe you, would be happier with that outcome.

Vr,
Shawn G

dschlichting
01-09-2008, 09:09 PM
I have the Boure Elite Thermo tights. Excellent product overall. Works well into the mid 30's. Only thing I have better are my Assos Thermo bib tights, which is another discussion entirely. I'll say that the Boure tights have a bit of a low ride and the zipper on the back of the leg takes some getting used to. But in any case, good company, good product.

jimcav
01-09-2008, 10:33 PM
which is really just a vented shell, down to 24 degrees F with 25mph winds in indiana with just a thin merino wool baselayer and coolmax t-shirt. I was warm--but roads were dry so i was riding 16-28 mph the whole time.

much cheaper--i got mine online in 2006 when we moved here. i also used it at last years chilly hilly--which was raining and i was warm as long as i was moving.

jim

sg8357
01-10-2008, 08:31 AM
The Ibex Breakaway jacket is another good one, too bad this years edition is all black. The wind resistant material really is breathable*, the wind come thru
a bit, so you are never warm but cool and dry. I test breathable by trying to breath thru the material. I have a PI Barrier vest, heavy fleece with windproof front, the windproof front is not breathable, I layer that over the Breakaway jacket for the 20s. Windproof torso with wind resistant arms works well for me, I don't overheat.

Scott G.

rnhood
01-10-2008, 08:59 AM
The Ibex Breakaway jacket is another good one, too bad this years edition is all black. The wind resistant material really is breathable*, the wind come thru
a bit, so you are never warm but cool and dry. I test breathable by trying to breath thru the material. I have a PI Barrier vest, heavy fleece with windproof front, the windproof front is not breathable, I layer that over the Breakaway jacket for the 20s. Windproof torso with wind resistant arms works well for me, I don't overheat.
Scott G.

I also use the Breakaway and, am very happy with it. The new model is suppose to be improved but, the Breakaway draws a good compromise between blocking wind and breathing. With a fleece (Powerstretch by REI) baselayer, I am good between 30 and 55 degrees. When colder, I add a windbloc vest - though I am real fond of total windbloc type garments.

WadePatton
01-10-2008, 09:24 AM
Send it back. That's part of their program--satisfaction guaranteed. I have their wool jersey and a bib. Love 'em both. And love the fact that it's Ned's outfit and the produce their stuff here--and it's QUITE modestly priced for domestic goods.

Boure is my first choice for cycling apparel. MOF, my only choice except for my team kit and local club stuff (where someone else made the sourcing decision).

Andreas
01-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Boure shorts are great all day shorts if you don't like to feel like you're wearing a diaper - very nice minimalist chamois...

Agree.
Best deal on shorts there is (for my rear end, YMMV).

dawgie
01-10-2008, 11:22 AM
I've tried out several winter jackets this year. I too am baffled why so many of them are only available in black or other dark colors. Here are two that have kept me warm in temps down to the teens, while comfortable up to the 50s:

-- Pearl Izumi Gavia, available in blue, yellow-gold or neon yellow. Very warm jacket yet extremely light and breathable. Also water resistant. I got mine in neon yellow because I use it for commuting. It is very visible, to say the least. I've ridden with it in temps down to 17 degrees, and it was warm with long-sleeve base layer (Craft Pro Zero) and short-sleeve jersey over that.

-- Craft Windstopper Thermal, available in bright red or black. Uses Gore windstopper in chest and arms. Very warm yet breathable. Fits a little nicer (for me) than the Pearl, and has more pockets including a zippered one in back. Very well designed jacket.

Both of these jackets are on sale right now at World Cycling Productions.

rwsaunders
01-10-2008, 09:26 PM
+1 on the PI winter jackets.

edzad24
02-16-2008, 08:10 PM
I have been hearing that Showers Pass jackets for dry or wet weather are the best? And, the company is owned by cyclist located in Portland, Oregon.
I have been researching and will be buying one of their shells this week! Double Century or Elite. I have seen their clear race jacket as well. Looks awesome and only $100. Thoughts?

rwsaunders
02-16-2008, 09:34 PM
Re: Showers Pass....Ok for wet weather, not for cold conditions. The owner/cyclist might live in Oregon, but the jackets are made in SE Asia.

Shopa
02-17-2008, 10:58 PM
are not all or most jackets made in Asia...? Pearl Izumi, Gore, Descente..?