PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild, Reuse, fix it.

Too Tall
01-09-2008, 07:11 AM
Last eve. after a too many hrs. at my day job I EAGERLY went home to rebuild my best cross wheels. The old old DA rear hub cassette body was skipping and nearly silent which is a sure sign contamination and dirt had formed a hard seat booooo :( Mr. Zap was kind enough to donate a well used DA hub I could scavenge...thank you velly mulch :)

The job is easy but that's not why I relate. The simple act of fixing your "stuff" and having tools, space and some used bits on hand to make it happen amt. to a really satisfying experience. The wheels are good as new with brand new high grade bearings...everything is snickity snick once again. :cool:

Ha ha, because I think that DA freehubs are similar to Honda motorcycles...they just won't die I decided to hot tank the old freehub body to see if it could be saved...hehe...it's fine. Now I have a spare ;)

An idyle mind? Not in my workshop!!! There is always something to mess with.

What 'cha fixing lately?

Fixed
01-09-2008, 07:22 AM
bro nice ...i have to do that to my fixed work bike . I just got a new wheel from a forum mate ( this place rocks ) the beer ings in my old wheel are getting bad .surly hub
cheers

J.Greene
01-09-2008, 08:13 AM
What 'cha fixing lately?

Not really fixing but building.

At our last cross race in Sarasota the promoter had some cheesey barriers. In a bonehead move I volunteered to make some nice ones for the race this weekend. I've got them painted up in my teams colors with some nice logo work stenciled on.

one more thing. My son wants his bmx bike repainted.

JG

Acotts
01-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Last eve. after a too many hrs. at my day job I EAGERLY went home to rebuild my best cross wheels. The old old DA rear hub cassette body was skipping and nearly silent which is a sure sign contamination and dirt had formed a hard seat booooo :( Mr. Zap was kind enough to donate a well used DA hub I could scavenge...thank you velly mulch :)

The job is easy but that's not why I relate. The simple act of fixing your "stuff" and having tools, space and some used bits on hand to make it happen amt. to a really satisfying experience. The wheels are good as new with brand new high grade bearings...everything is snickity snick once again. :cool:

Ha ha, because I think that DA freehubs are similar to Honda motorcycles...they just won't die I decided to hot tank the old freehub body to see if it could be saved...hehe...it's fine. Now I have a spare ;)

An idyle mind? Not in my workshop!!! There is always something to mess with.

What 'cha fixing lately?

How long does it take you to rebuild a wheel? I have been curious about trying this out. I have some old Easton vistas that i want to put a fixed hub onto.

mjb266
01-09-2008, 09:05 AM
A busted D-A STI lever...took a bottle of wine out into the shop, took it apart in order, put it back together...works!

Who knew?

Alexi
01-09-2008, 09:26 AM
not so much fixing as just building 28 hole son hub laced to a aerohead rim radial
and a white 32 hole hub laced to a OC aerohead radial non-drive

Marcus Torino
01-09-2008, 09:32 AM
I seem to spend time digging out stuff that's collecting dust, as I'm probably moving soon.

I'm going to wash, wax, recable and tune up my bikes Saturday though :)

Note to self: Stop buying interesting pieces I see in stores when I go to France and Italy, I don't need them....

pdxmech13
01-09-2008, 09:52 AM
sometimes i get lazy from fixing stuff all day at work.
so i let the girlfriend fix the stuff for dinner :D

znfdl
01-09-2008, 10:00 AM
I like to break stuff, so Too Tall can fix them :D

zeroking17
01-09-2008, 10:00 AM
I'm hooked on the smell of Phil Wood bearing grease. It lingers on the fingers.™

zeroking17
01-09-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm hooked on the smell of Phil Wood bearing grease. It lingers on the fingers.™

PM sent.

MarleyMon
01-09-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm troubleshooting my 32" Sony - video board went bad, CRT still good.
May not be worth much money/effort,
but mainly I don't want to move the thing anymore
and I missed heavy trash/recycling day.
Love the internet for the info - found similar symtoms and fixes easily
so I thought I'd open it up and take a look.

thwart
01-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Lately my wife has me repairing the toilets in our house (apparently all the seals and other stuff, like flush and fill valves, are good for 20 years---the house was built in '87).

It makes any bike repair look like a f**king party... :crap: :crap: :crap:

No wonder plumbers want $90 an hour.

Actually I think it's her passive-aggressive way of dealing with my bike habit. :rolleyes:

capybaras
01-09-2008, 05:11 PM
I learned how to clean and repack hubs last night. Nice to be able to do stuff for yourself.

Too Tall
01-09-2008, 05:56 PM
How long does it take you to rebuild a wheel? I have been curious about trying this out. I have some old Easton vistas that i want to put a fixed hub onto.
I lace a fr. wheel in onesinefeld or a rear 3 cross during the 1st half of most boring football games.

Frankwurst
01-09-2008, 05:57 PM

That it does. :beer:

Too Tall
01-09-2008, 05:57 PM
PM sent.
MP sent

RudAwkning
01-09-2008, 06:00 PM
I replaced the fan, heatsink and CPU in a Compaq NX5000 notebook yesterday.

Have to remove 2 10" Vifa woofers from the sub cabinets of my Apogee Studio Grand speakers, which literally went up in smoke Sunday morning. Fried the voice coils of both right channel drivers. :(

As for bike stuff, tore apart and cleaned up a Mavic Elite rear hub, swapped out the internal bar clamp and quill expander from one Shimano Ax aero stem to another (these things are beautiful but WAAAAAAY over engineered) and built another Bob. I'll post pics soon. Burnt orange with cream head tube. Really nice bike.

thwart
01-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Have to remove 2 10" Vifa woofers from the sub cabinets of my Apogee Studio Grand speakers, which literally went up in smoke Sunday morning. Fried the voice coils of both right channel drivers. That'll be a cheap repair job. :rolleyes:

Nice speakers!

Frankwurst
01-09-2008, 06:22 PM
I replaced the fan, heatsink and CPU in a Compaq NX5000 notebook yesterday.

Have to remove 2 10" Vifa woofers from the sub cabinets of my Apogee Studio Grand speakers, which literally went up in smoke Sunday morning. Fried the voice coils of both right channel drivers. :(

As for bike stuff, tore apart and cleaned up a Mavic Elite rear hub, swapped out the internal bar clamp and quill expander from one Shimano Ax aero stem to another (these things are beautiful but WAAAAAAY over engineered) and built another Bob. I'll post pics soon. Burnt orange with cream head tube. Really nice bike.

Jeez I'm suprised you didn't fit in replacing an oil pump drive gear on a Detroit 353. I'm lookin forward to the pics as I was riding down the road today thinkin about my Heron and questioning myself on a possible repaint and burnt orange with cream came to mind. :beer:

Sasha18
01-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Funny this topic should come up. I normally patronize my LBS, but Nashbar has record front hubs, silver ones, on sale for like 30 bucks. The only catch is they're 36 hole. And they don't have the matching rear. Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy one. Even if I don't need it now, and I kinda do, I will need it in the future right. I could buy a centaur rear for 60 dollars while I'm at it. Help me work out this logic.

They're not broken, so I guess that's not technically fixing it, but all the same. It would be for reviving a lugged frame I have, so maybe it counts....

3chordwonder
01-09-2008, 07:04 PM

But I bet your neighbours are enjoying the (temporary) peace and quiet ;-)

Kevan
01-09-2008, 07:16 PM
to be a grasshopper.

Acotts
01-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Since we are on the topic of relacing wheels, will I run into a compatibiliy issue of relacing a 28 spoke wheel to a 32 hole hub. Did I screw up?

Acotts
01-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Just had another thought...am I an idiot for even thinking about putting a 28 spoke rear wheel on a fixed gear?

I hate it, it is like I can't foresee these problems until I have all the ordered parts sitting right here in front of me.

chrisroph
01-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Funny this topic should come up. I normally patronize my LBS, but Nashbar has record front hubs, silver ones, on sale for like 30 bucks. The only catch is they're 36 hole. And they don't have the matching rear. Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy one. Even if I don't need it now, and I kinda do, I will need it in the future right. I could buy a centaur rear for 60 dollars while I'm at it. Help me work out this logic.

They're not broken, so I guess that's not technically fixing it, but all the same. It would be for reviving a lugged frame I have, so maybe it counts....

i bought a pair of centaur 36 hubs from smashbar for about $80 and will build some cross wheels. at star crossed, the swiss nat'l champ was sporting 36 handbuilts. they were radial non drive side, cross 3 or 4 drive. i'm not sure how i'll build mine. i'm looking for some nos tubular rims but haven't found any as of yet. the centaur front hub was $20, the rear $60. i would have bought a record front for $10 more but the deal was not yet on when i ordered. the guts are the same as the record, main diff is better qr on the record. you should get the record front and mate it with a centaur rear, who cares of they don't match?

72gmc
01-09-2008, 10:51 PM
chrisroph is right. The older-style Centaur hubs are great hubs. The newer hubs haven't given me any grief yet, but they also won't give me the warm fuzzy loose bearings on the floor feeling. I always lose track of the little suckers when I reach for my beer.

RudAwkning
01-10-2008, 12:41 AM
Just had another thought...am I an idiot for even thinking about putting a 28 spoke rear wheel on a fixed gear?

I hate it, it is like I can't foresee these problems until I have all the ordered parts sitting right here in front of me.

I'm riding 24/2 cross high flange C-Record on my Gan Well track bike without any issues. But it's commited strictly to the track. On the track it's all left turns and then you spin out. If you plan on doing training/road rides, more is prolly better. You'll be putting a lot more stress on that rear wheel with variations in road surface (pot holes, speed bumps, etc.). And then there's the constant resistance during descents.

RudAwkning
01-10-2008, 12:49 AM
That'll be a cheap repair job. :rolleyes:

Nice speakers!

Ah, the smell of fried electronics. It's not offensive like spoiled food or juicy fart. When you smell it, you just smell money being burned.

At first I thought I fried my amplifer, so it's not as bad as I had initially thought. $105 per woofer from Madisound and I'll be back in action.

Too Tall
01-10-2008, 07:51 AM
You guys are living large!
I just scored nearly new set of 105 STI + rear mech. that will replace a set of mega mile worn arse DA STI on my main commuter bike. It will NOT break my heart to have reliable shifting once again :) THANK YOU ZNFNDL :)

Next on the hit list are my track wheels. Two seasons of glue is bothering me. Time to get out the scraper and smooooth things out, remount tyres.

chrisroph
01-10-2008, 09:12 AM
You guys are living large!
I just scored nearly new set of 105 STI + rear mech. that will replace a set of mega mile worn arse DA STI on my main commuter bike. It will NOT break my heart to have reliable shifting once again :) THANK YOU ZNFNDL :)

Next on the hit list are my track wheels. Two seasons of glue is bothering me. Time to get out the scraper and smooooth things out, remount tyres.

that's my man!

i just scored some nos gp4 with stainless eyelets 36 for my next set of cross wheels. i'm thinking x3 revos and alloy nips front, and rear x3 drive 14-15 brass, and can't decide non-drive but the gut says 14-15 brass one less cross than drive.

whatcha recommend??

sg8357
01-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Ah, the smell of fried electronics. It's not offensive like spoiled food or juicy fart. When you smell it, you just smell money being burned..

My co-worker explained it this way, there is a measured amount of smoke
in electronic parts, once you let the smoke out they don't work.

Scott G.