PDA

View Full Version : OT: Wholly fast shipping from Apple

vandeda
01-08-2008, 06:40 PM
So last Friday I order a Ipod classic 80 gb from apple's online store. I also got an engraving on the back because it was free. Here's the timeline:

Friday Jan 4th - Order at 6:55 pm
Sat Jan 5th - Ipod ships at 3:51 am from Shanghai China
Mon Jan 7th - Ipod delivered at 9:09 am in Albany NY area

This was their free shipping (free for orders over $50). So in less than 1/2 day, they engraved it, packaged it, and mailed it. Then over the next two days it went halfway around the world .... and for free. That is just unbelievable to me :eek:

saab2000
01-08-2008, 06:48 PM
So last Friday I order a Ipod classic 80 gb from apple's online store. I also got an engraving on the back because it was free. Here's the timeline:

Friday Jan 4th - Order at 6:55 pm
Sat Jan 5th - Ipod ships at 3:51 am from Shanghai China
Mon Jan 7th - Ipod delivered at 9:09 am in Albany NY area

This was their free shipping (free for orders over $50). So in less than 1/2 day, they engraved it, packaged it, and mailed it. Then over the next two days it went halfway around the world .... and for free. That is just unbelievable to me :eek:

The airline pilots of the world thank you for your business! :beer:

Especially those who work for the large freight carriers - UPS, FedEx, Cathay Pacific, NWA Cargo, etc.

avalonracing
01-08-2008, 06:48 PM
What's even more unbelievable is that they'll do the same custom engraving and free shipping on a $79 iPod Shuffle.

TriJim
01-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Funny you should mention this...

I ordered an engraved red shuffle from Apple on Saturday evening. They sent a shipping notice on Sunday morning. However, they refuse to ship to my military APO address so it has to be routed to a forwarding service in the US (that they recommend). Instead of the $79 with free shipping, they also charge $5 for the tax in Iowa (where the forwarding service is located), the shipper will charge $6.50 for their service, and I just checked and it hasn't reached Iowa, yet. So an extra $11.50 and delayed shipping because I wanted the "red" which is only available from the Apple store. :crap:

Just another 'merican looking for instant gratification. ;)

vandeda
01-09-2008, 05:14 AM
ah that stinks about the extra shipping costs ... the sales tax you just can't get. If there is a physical Apple store in your state, then 'ya gotta pay the sales tax even if you mail order (technically you're supposed to pay a use tax if you don't pay sales tax when ordering online ... but no one does). Them be the rules.

Flat Out
01-09-2008, 06:53 AM
Wow.

Used to be if you ordered from Mac Connection before 1:00am they can have it to you the next day.(or the same day depending on how you look at it) Not sure if they still do that.

Someone told me the way they do it is they have their warehouse located at one of the airports.

Blue Jays
01-09-2008, 08:18 AM
vandeda, that is a truly impressive timeline. It appears Apple must empower their employees to "do whatever it takes" to ensure happy customers whenever possible.
One wonders how they're able to be so efficient compared to organizations of similar size? That was a cool narrative. Enjoy your new iPod!

:beer:

J.Greene
01-09-2008, 08:30 AM
The airline pilots of the world thank you for your business! :beer:

Especially those who work for the large freight carriers - UPS, FedEx, Cathay Pacific, NWA Cargo, etc.

Saab,

do freight carriers ever fall out of the sky? I've never heard of that kind of crash.

JG

JohnS
01-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Saab,

do freight carriers ever fall out of the sky? I've never heard of that kind of crash.

JGYeah, it happens. There's just not enough dead bodies to make the headlines.

PS-There's no such thing as "free" shipping. The price of the overnight shipping is just rolled into the cost of the product. $150 and FREE SHIPPING is more enticing than $129 and $21 S&H.

saab2000
01-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Saab,

JG

Huh? I am being serious, not sarcastic! Without the overnight freight business carriers like UPS and FedEx would not be in business. Bring on the iPod orders! And overnight bike part orders.

Freighters have crashed too, but very seldom. There have been a few nasty ones due to undeclared dangerous goods, etc. And there is probably somewhat more risk involved in the carriage of freight than in just passengers. But the big name freight haulers have a safety record that's just as good as the passenger carriers.

The FAA watches over them too.

That said, there are things that are carried on freighters that aren't carried on passenger flights. But the level of risk is still low and most truly flammable stuff must be ground shipped.

No, don't misunderstand. Air freight is big business and I would not mind for a second working for a freight company like UPS or FedEx. They get paid better than the passenger airlines now anyway. A lot better actually.

Cathay Pacific, one of my targeted carriers, hires Americans specifically for their freight operation. If hired I would live in California and fly 747-400Fs all over the world. Not bad, huh?

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1309176&WxsIERv=Obrvat%20747-444%28OPS%29&Wm=1&WdsYXMg=Pngunl%20Cnpvsvp%20Nvejnlf%20Pnetb&QtODMg=Znapurfgre%20-%20Vagreangvbany%20%28Evatjnl%29%20%28ZNA%20%2F%20 RTPP%29&ERDLTkt=HX%20-%20Ratynaq&ktODMp=Qrprzore%2020%2C%202007&BP=1&WNEb25u=Wvq%20Jroo&xsIERvdWdsY=O-UHF&MgTUQtODMgKE=Yrnivat%20n%20genvy%20bs%20sebfg%20na q%20qr-vpvat%20syhvq%20nf%20guvf%20744S%20qrcnegf%20ehajn l%2023Y.&YXMgTUQtODMgKERD=2123&NEb25uZWxs=2007-12-23%2011%3A35%3A37&ODJ9dvCE=&O89Dcjdg=25152%2F861&static=yes&width=1200&height=812&sok=JURER%20%20%28nvepensg_trarevp%20%3D%20%27Obrv at%20747-400%20%28NY-1%29%27%29%20NAQ%20%28nveyvar%20YVXR%20%27Pngunl%2 0Cnpvsvp%20Nvejnlf%25%27%29%20%20beqre%20ol%20cubg b_vq%20QRFP&photo_nr=18&prev_id=1309351&next_id=1308907&size=L

J.Greene
01-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Saab,

I think you misunderstood me. I have never heard of a freighter crash, I was thinking the reliability record was greater than for passenger airlines. And since the freight business has grown so much with the global economy they seem to have an even better track record. Thanks for answering the question.

JG

Huh? I am being serious, not sarcastic! Without the overnight freight business carriers like UPS and FedEx would not be in business. Bring on the iPod orders! And overnight bike part orders.

Freighters have crashed too, but very seldom.l]

saab2000
01-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Well, they are reliable for a few reasons.

1. Cosmetic issues don't matter as much. Broken passenger seat? What passenger seat? Flight attendant calls in sick? What flight attendant?

2. They fly at night and there are far fewer weather and Air Traffic Control issues at night.

3. The business is run differently than passenger carriers, where everyone just goes to Orbitz or one of the other "Shop and Compare" sites. Most major freight carriers have longer term contracts, meaning greater stability.

Most pilots who are lucky enough to get into UPS or FedEx love their jobs. And their paychecks, which are very substantial.

Viper
01-09-2008, 10:41 AM
The iPod is useless to them. It's the software, iTunes, downloads they want from you atmo.

Viper
01-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Saab,

JG

Tom Hanks.

MarleyMon
01-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Wow.

Used to be if you ordered from Mac Connection before 1:00am they can have it to you the next day.(or the same day depending on how you look at it) Not sure if they still do that.

Someone told me the way they do it is they have their warehouse located at one of the airports.
Most likely they drop ship from Ingram Micro or Tech Data,
which have warehouses strategically placed near
shipping hubs throughout the country.
I'm on the lookout for Mac World specials on a MacBook (Pro, maybe)
- has anybody seen anything yet?

TriJim
01-09-2008, 10:55 AM
ah that stinks about the extra shipping costs ... the sales tax you just can't get. If there is a physical Apple store in your state, then 'ya gotta pay the sales tax even if you mail order (technically you're supposed to pay a use tax if you don't pay sales tax when ordering online ... but no one does). Them be the rules.
Not really... Goods at our military exchanges (overseas or in the US) are tax-free. Sales tax is a state tax and federal/military facilities are exempt.