PDA

View Full Version : Triple Bypass Planning...

weatherman
01-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Just signed up for this year's ride--first timer. I don't know much about the area around Evergreen, but would like to find a place to stay the night before in/near the start. My in-laws have a place over in Winter Park where I will be staying before/after, but don't want to make the drive to Evergreen the morning of the ride from there. Looking for something basic/clean for group of 3-4.

Thanks for any suggestions--anybody else signed up?

chuckred
01-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Quality Suites in Evergreen (http://www.qualityinn.com/ires/en-US/html/HotelInfo?hotel=CO129&sid=GGxmi.ZDAndg3hqg.3&sarea=5157&sname=Evergreen&sstate=CO&scountry=US&sradius=40.22&slat=39.63333511352539&slon=-105.3166732788086&schain=Q&exp=&scity=Evergreen&sort=&type=&map=y&nroom=1&nadult1=1&nchild1=0&nadult2=1&nchild2=0&nadult3=1&nchild3=0&nadult4=1&nchild4=0&nadult5=1&nchild5=0)

This hotel is a little over a mile from the start. I live about 1/4 mile from the hotel and start from home. Much better than trying to get to the start in a car! Bring a small backpack, load it with a change of clothes, they have a shuttle at the start that will carry it to the end for you...

It's a great ride!

jmc22
01-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Lodging in Evergreen is tough, outside of the one mentioned I don't know of any... since it is pretty much the only one, you may end up driving.. attached is a link of a few area hotels that may be closer then Winter Park.
If you drive, I would recommend arriving ready to go, dressed for the cool am morning and just have someone drop you off, that is what I have done in the past and plan to do again this yr.
Best of luck, have fun & be prepared for lots of ppl going up Squaw pass.

http://www.traveltoday.com/hotel_list/evergreen/co/us/#visited=true&cityID=3595

crossjunkee
01-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Georgetown has cheap hotels. Of course that means you'll need to be dropped at the start the morning of the ride. Which isn't a big deal. Hopefully people can meet up this year! Look for posts closer to July.

cruzroadie
01-09-2008, 12:17 AM
Chuckred,
I recall a post where you have done the Triple a few times before. I'm in coastal California and would really appreciate any training tips to prepare for this ride. I went to the Team Evergreen site and looked at the generic guide for free but it was a bit too unstructured for me.
Thanks.

Tailwinds
01-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Still entertaining the idea of registering... guess I better get off my @ss and do it! Already 2580 riders registered...

I see they're not allowing transfers of registrations this year, btw.

chuckred
01-09-2008, 11:08 AM
I've done the Triple 5 times. Because I'm a Team Evergreen member, and because the start is close to my house, it's kind of an annual ritual for me now.

Forgive the long ramble here - perhaps it will be helpful, and if not, sorry... I know there are some very serious racers on the forum who can probably chime in with much more detailed specific training programs, plans, etc. I probably won't give you anything as specific as you're looking for, but perhaps some general thoughts will be even more useful. Feel freem to PM me if you want any more advice as the event approachs.

The first time I did this ride (2003) was right after moving to CO and I was just kind of easing back into serious riding. I had been traveling alot and gained a bunch of weight. I did the ride without any serious training other than some club rides and mountain biking. My overall time was 11:31 with about 9:16 of riding time. I cut that down to about 8 hours elapsed in two years.

I'm not a real expert on training programs by any means. I've found it helps to have a specific goal - the Triple is actually a training ride for my ultimate yearly goal which is the Leadville 100, but last year I helped one of my best friends train and complete the Triple as he had set it for his goal. Whatever training approach you come up with, having the goal will make it much more palatable.

You didn't say how much you ride, and if you want to do this just to survive (trust me, you'll see pleanty of people who finish and who make you wonder how they did it), to just enjoy a nice ride in the mountains, or to maximize your speed...

Also, while many have support along the way, I'll answer your questions assuming you'll be unsupported other than what's provided by Team Evergreen...

Things that I have found to be helpful:

1) The periodization approach - I sort of loosely follow the Chris Carmichael training program in "The Ultimate Ride" - basically a few months of base training, then adding in more intervals, Tempo Rides, etc. I ride with a club so the weekly training rides help me with my speed. It also helps you to get used to riding with groups of people. There are certainly times where paceline skills can be a blessing. (The last 10 miles into Avon for example).

2) When I was traveling alot, I started taking spin classes instead of going to a big dinner with drinks every night. I think that one step helped me lose 20 pounds quickly, gain strength and fitness, work in some intervals, etc.

3) Ride lots of hills. Depending on what part of CA coast your on, there should be pleanty to chose from. Short intense hills are great for intervals and repeats. Keep in mind though, the Triple doesn't have alot of sections that are really steep, but just long and steady (I think Idaho Springs to the top of Loveland pass is about 30 miles of climbing). So, you need to get mentally prepared to spend a few hours of constant climbing.

It's also helpful to be comfortable on long fast descents. Whether you're into 50 mph +, or just more relaxed easy cruising, figure on 30 - 40 + mph extended downhills as the rewards for all the climbing. I see alot of people who are freaked out by the speed and are on the brakes the whole way down. That's no way to recover! Your long hill climbs will also help here!

4) Nutrition and hydration. If you're in the "enjoy the day" mode (vs. the maximize speed), the aid stations are well stocked, fun to visit and check out the bikes, talk to new friends, etc. If you're into the full speed ahead mode, you may want to plan just to blow in, top off the fluids and keep moving. In either case, you should have a pretty good idea what you need to do and what works for you in terms of staying hydrated, keeping the carbs coming in, electrolyte replacements, etc. I mentioned that this is a training ride for me, so I try to use it as a dress rehearsal of sorts to be sure I can tolerate my planned nutrition/hydration regiman for Leadville. But, a more laid back approach also works just fine. The main thing is you don't want to get 2/3's of the way through and bonk. Or get the upset stomach thing...

5) Elevation. I've heard several schools of thought on this one. Some say you need to acclimate for an extended period - and while that's probalby the best, it's also probably not realistic unless you're planning a long trip out here any way. Others say, just show up and do it, your body will take a couple days to notice. I think it's highly individual. You'll have to judge based on your own experience with trips skiing, hiking, etc. Just figure that you'll need to tone down your expectations a bit and take it easy at the high points of the climbs.

6) Weather. Two years ago it poured rain all day long, was cold and brutal. Probably 2/3's of the riders bailed out and there were many cases of hypothermia. Last year was beautiful. One year was pretty hot. You need to show up ready for anything and make a final gear determination at the start line based on the past few days weather, the weather report and your gut instinct. Colorado weather is predictable - in the sense that you can almost certainly expect some rain every day, but it's usually later in the day. You can never be too surprised to see some snow on Loveland. There will be some wind. The major storms like two years ago are not all that common and if it's pouring rain in the morning, you can expect it not to go away. (Three years ago, it rained hard all night, stopped at about 5 am and then the rest of the day was perfect). That's a really long way of saying prepare for the worst and hope for the best. As far as training goes, it means that at least a few times, you need to go out in some foul weather and see what it's like, make sure you have the appropriate gear, etc. Just like preparing for long climbs, having the mental edge of knowing you can get through bad weather helps!

cruzroadie
01-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Thanks. Your response was great in terms of the altitude adjustment and the weather expectations and the type of gear to bring at the starting line (just about everything). I just starting riding regularly 4 years ago and have done a few centuries and finished one double (Davis Double). I live in Santa Cruz County and there is no lacking of hills but of course none at a significant altitude.
As the ride gets closer I'll PM you with more questions if you don't mind. Thanks again, you're very helpful and your post wasn't too long.

chuckred
01-09-2008, 10:26 PM
No problem - based on what you said, I have no doubt you'll do fine.

Jack Brunk
01-09-2008, 10:57 PM
I'm signed up again and trust me work won't get in the way this year. Although I have applied for the death ride and it's on the same day. My luck and I'll get drawn so it will be a tough decision. I have done it twice so I'll lean towards the triple as I love first time events.

Jack Brunk
01-09-2008, 11:17 PM
No rooms in evergreen. Booked a room in golden 11 miles away at the comfort suites. 2860 riders signed up as of today. Last year it didn't fill up till march or april. Last years great weather must be one of the reasons.

chuckred
01-10-2008, 08:18 AM
No rooms in evergreen. Booked a room in golden 11 miles away at the comfort suites. 2860 riders signed up as of today. Last year it didn't fill up till march or april. Last years great weather must be one of the reasons.

The entries that is - not me!

I think you're right about the weather. Hope you make it this year! Death ride is one I've always wanted to do, but since this one starts at my front door, so it goes!