PDA

View Full Version : European framebuilders

Baudolino
01-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Do you guys know of any good european custom framebuilders? I'm a great fan of italian lugged steel, but just cant find a first class roadbike with room for fenders. Something like this:

saab2000
01-08-2008, 12:36 PM
You want something cool and custom and unique?

You are unlikely to find something like that Vanilla in Europe. The 'bike as functional art' culture is not very deep there.

DBRK's cool bikes are the exception, but for the most part the builders there don't do that kind of stuff.

dbrk
01-08-2008, 01:17 PM
If you are looking for a bike properly fit for fenders and in the style of the brilliant Vanilla you show and you want it from Europe, I'd say you have to go to Singer in Paris. Italian builders are renown for race bikes and while Cinelli and others made some beautiful bikes with fenders, that culture (what small bit there was in comparison to French and English builders in their day) is pretty much non-existent today. I love race bikes as well as sportifs and randonneurs ---my race bikes come from RS, Dario, Cooper, and Mariposa. The wait for a proper sportif need not be longer than calling Jitensha and buying an Ebisu, which is every bit as nice as bikes twice the price. Ebisu are simple but beautifully designed and you may not have to wait. If you are willing to wait (and it depends how long), there are more great builders today with more skill and refinement than ever before.

dbrk

sg8357
01-08-2008, 02:34 PM
For that style bike, Robin Mather and George Longstaff in the UK.
Charles Roberts. Longstaff & Roberts are small production shops,
Mather is a one off iirc. Mercian would be the Waterford equivalent.

Cycling Plus magazine will have the dope on UK builders.

The Cyclist Touring Club forum is a good source too.
The CTC is older than dirt.
http://forum.ctc.org.uk/

Peter P.
01-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Italians don't do it. They aren't known for it, either.

Look towards England if you're willing. You won't be disappointed.

Definitely check out Mercian (whose web site seems to be down as of late) and SJS cycles for their Tradition Touring and Fast Touring 700c models.
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/models.html

BumbleBeeDave
01-08-2008, 09:55 PM
. . . could talk like Inspector Clouseau if you asked him nicely when you send your deposit.

BBD

SimonC
01-09-2008, 03:15 AM
For that style bike, Robin Mather and George Longstaff in the UK. Charles Roberts. Longstaff & Roberts are small production shops

Good call - it's Chas Roberts and he'll make stuff to order, but generally doesn't like fancy lugs. Mercian are pretty reasonably priced and still make the traditional way in a hearth without a jig, and you can get some seriously ornate lugs from them.

I think George Longstaff has passed away, but the business is still operational and open to making most things (well known for their racing tricycles).

Robin Mather would be (and has been) my choice - one of (if not the only) UK builder truly willing to take on 'bespoke' work, and with a constructeur mindset (stems, racks, light mounts etc can all be manufactured and supplied by him). He's got quite a waiting list, but his prices are very reasonable and he's very approachable. He was considering attending NAHBS when I spoke to him...

SimonC
01-09-2008, 03:22 AM

Polyglot
01-09-2008, 07:49 AM
I know of quite a few Italian framebuilders who are not only capable, but also quite willing to build such bikes (many of them semi-retired now). However, if you want to get a 'custom' bike, you really should speak to the builder in person o explain exactly what you are looking for, so it is not something you should ever do long distance. So unless you are not already in Italy, why bother?

Baudolino
01-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Thanks for all your quick replies. The only reason I'm looking for a european framebuilder is because I live in europe. Portland or Chester seems a bit distant, so to speak...

johnnymossville
01-09-2008, 09:16 AM
the one on the left thank you very much. :) Good luck finding yours Baudolino, can't wait to see what you come up with.

Do you guys know of any good european custom framebuilders? I'm a great fan of italian lugged steel, but just cant find a first class roadbike with room for fenders. Something like this:

swoop
01-09-2008, 10:14 AM
try Crisp Bicycles... in Italy. I think he'll get you what you want in ti.. and it will probably sublime looking.

Polyglot
01-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Thanks for all your quick replies. The only reason I'm looking for a european framebuilder is because I live in europe. Portland or Chester seems a bit distant, so to speak...

Se dici dove sei, forse possiamo essere di aiuto.

SimonC
01-09-2008, 11:22 AM
How about this for funky yet functional detail, a Rohloff cable guide from Robin Mather:

Baudolino
01-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Se dici dove sei, forse possiamo essere di aiuto.

Vivo in Svezia.

fiamme red
01-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Vivo in Svezia.In Germany:

http://www.marschall-framework.de/rahmen/rahmen.html

Polyglot
01-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Vivo in Svezia.

Depending on where you are located in Sweden, you might be quite close to Banani in Denmark. They used to build some of the nicest bikes in Europe although the owner must now be in his 70's or perhaps even 80's.

http://www.bananiracer.dk/stel.htm

cadence90
01-11-2008, 01:47 AM
Vivo in Svezia.
Mi auguro allora che sei un tifoso di Ibrahimovic, e non solo di Umberto Eco.... :)

Singer, definitely.
The English builders mentioned already. Roberts is super.
If you return to Italy I'm sure Pegoretti, Paduano, Passoni, Rewel, and even De Rosa could build this type of frame as a one-off.
I don't know of any Swedish framebuilders, but I know the Swedish military bicycle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_military_bicycle), so you might contact some of those builders.
There must also be some good builders in Denmark, no?
Does Merckx do custom one-off? I suppose not....
Maybe some of these builders (http://thecitybicycle.blogspot.com/2005/08/list-promoting-bicycle-as-utilitarian.html).
You might also ask Frankie-B and Martin (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/groupcp.php?g=628) at Weight Weenies for recommendations, or the guys at PoshBikes.
In any case, yes, I think it is important to be able to meet the builder face to face if at all possible.

bruce-e-boy
01-11-2008, 03:07 AM
I recently took delivery of my custom Chas Roberts fixed, with mudguards, 30mm tyres, with braze on for a tubus rack. Finish and paint are not quite like the US artisans, but it is absolutely fine and, more to the point, the bike is just what I want. Took c 5 weeks. Am about to ride it to work in London in the driving rain. No idea how to post pictures but I will email if you wish.

palincss
01-11-2008, 06:45 AM
If you are looking for a bike properly fit for fenders and in the style of the brilliant Vanilla you show and you want it from Europe, I'd say you have to go to Singer in Paris.

dbrk

By all means, go to Alex Singer -- but as wonderful as they are, they certainly are not the only European builder capable of building a road bike properly fit for fenders. Chas Roberts and George Longstaff in the UK both make brilliant road bikes that can fit fenders. In the UK, they call a bike like that an Audax bike.