PDA

View Full Version : how do you store your bikes?

bhungerford
01-08-2008, 08:53 AM
So i have a new house, and i get the whole basement (finished w/bar :beer: ) as my "bike room" the unfortunate part is that i don't have room to hang all the bikes on the walls to make it look cool, so i need some kind of floor mount rack thing, but just can't find something that looks good and easy to use, i like this thing from Topeak http://www.topeak.com/t8/products/storage/flashstandslim.php but haven't found a place to buy it (going to check the LBS tonight or tomorrow)

does anyone have any good ideas, or what do you all use to store your bikes?

btw, i have 8 bikes that need to get stored, two are going on walls, but still need to get 6 on the floor, and it seems to fit best they need to be at an angle to the wall.

davids
01-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Some old threads that may be helpful:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=16659

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=16263

Blue Jays
01-08-2008, 09:06 AM
* What are the overall measurements of the space?
* Concrete floors, wood, or carpeted?
* What is the approximate ceiling height?

I H8Rabbits
01-08-2008, 09:21 AM
* What are the overall measurements of the space?
* Concrete floors, wood, or carpeted?
* What is the approximate ceiling height?

Brass pole? ;)

"R"

jmewkill
01-08-2008, 09:34 AM
We have 15 or so bikes. Some hang, a couple are up on the wall, the others sit in individual racks that I made. Its always a work in process.

saab2000
01-08-2008, 09:38 AM
In the basement. Leaning up against the wall. My Grandis ranks hooks because of the tubulars which deflate after a week or so and I don't want it sitting on the flat tires.

But it's not like we're preserving the Mona Lisa or Declaration of Independence here.

J.Greene
01-08-2008, 09:47 AM
I hang the nicer ones and stack the rest like fire wood. I'm currently trying to train my mother in law to park hers in the barn.

JG

regularguy412
01-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Mine hang from the ceiling in my basement -- except for the one locked into the trainer and the one parked on the rollers. My tandem is a bit awkward to hang from the ceiling, so it leans against the basement wall.

MIke in AR:)

mcoven
01-08-2008, 09:57 AM
So i have a new house, and i get the whole basement (finished w/bar :beer: ) as my "bike room" the unfortunate part is that i don't have room to hang all the bikes on the walls to make it look cool, so i need some kind of floor mount rack thing, but just can't find something that looks good and easy to use, i like this thing from Topeak http://www.topeak.com/t8/products/storage/flashstandslim.php but haven't found a place to buy it (going to check the LBS tonight or tomorrow)

does anyone have any good ideas, or what do you all use to store your bikes?

btw, i have 8 bikes that need to get stored, two are going on walls, but still need to get 6 on the floor, and it seems to fit best they need to be at an angle to the wall.

Congrats! I've got some racks like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ACAM0Q?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pricegrabber2-sport-20&linkCode=asn

They work quite well at holding bikes & gear...

I do have an extra one (NIB)... In case you are interested!

bhungerford
01-08-2008, 10:00 AM
it's about 800 sq ft, pretty square, maybe 8 ft ceiling (although some lower sections for mechanical stuff, and not a drop ceiling)

yeah, right now most are stacked like firewood, bugs me though...

bar is dry at the moment, it'll be wet later this spring, and should have a built in wine fridge/cooler in a month, and the possibility of some taps down the road. :beer:

The problem is i'd still like to have some room for people to hang out and have some drinks and watch old cycling races down there....i'm sure i'll end up building something, always a good excuse to get more tools :D

Samster
01-08-2008, 11:18 AM
you really should have only one bike. pm me and i will help you out.

djg
01-08-2008, 11:23 AM
I think you need to clarify your question. There's the "how do you store your built bikes you're willing to have seen" question; and then there's the "how do you store your bikes -- whether built or in parts -- before you're negotiated their public existence" question. For instance, my HSG ti frame spent about three months inside of a box, inside of a box, behind some stuff in the storage room, before I started musing on the need for another bike.

I've got some hooks in our storage/laundry room that can hold bikes, wheels, etc. (just J hooks) and then some rubber coated brackets bolted to the cinder block walls of the garage (cost about 5 bucks each, they have two longish arms that can support a top tube and still leave room to hang some other stuff off the end). We've also got a stand in the garage -- theoretically it holds four bikes.

Fixed
01-08-2008, 12:53 PM
i keep one (merckx) inside hanging and the others outside in a shed .my work bike stays outside on the ready ... locked
cheers