PDA

View Full Version : NEUTRON Problem

08-08-2004, 09:21 AM
Hello, I have a pair of campy neutrons that i can't figure out. the problem is with the freewheel body. It doesn't spin like i think it should, or should i say it doesn't spin half as good as my protons freewheel. I took the neutron apart yesterday and checked the tension on the few parts involved(very simple to work on). checked the amount of lube. whatever i tried couldn't get the fw body to spin similar to the proton. I haven't taken apart the proton to investigate, i figure what's the point. it's works great. I used the owners manual when doing all the work. It shows step by step instructions. The proton manual is the same. Even without the freehub on the axle the axle doesn't feel smooth enough in the hub with any amount of lube. Other than the protons freehub spinning much better it is much louder.I figure the louder means it is time to lube,but its been loud since day one. The neutron has 3200 miles, and has been crap since day 1. the protons have just over 1000. I have considered the amount of lube on the fw where the pawls run as well.
any suggestions as always are much appreciated. The people on this board have always been helpful even when i have no questions.
thanks much!

shinomaster
08-08-2004, 02:53 PM
why not take them back to your campy dealer?

FYI my Neutron hubs sound different than my Zonda hubs (same as Proton)

EdK
08-08-2004, 03:14 PM
Call Campy USA if your dealer won't help. They will. I have 3 sets if Neutrons all work flawlessly. The rear freehub can be quited down with lube. Sounds like maybe a beant axle? They should theoretically spin smoother than Protons. Magnus Backstedt (212lbs) road Neutrons (sew ups) to victory at Paris-Robaix so they should be strong enough for any application. Good luck......

Needs Help
08-08-2004, 09:31 PM
Magnus Backstedt (212lbs) road Neutrons (sew ups) to victory at Paris-Robaix so they should be strong enough for any application.

Interesting. I wonder whether he did the whole race on one set. Unfortunately, Campy does not offer a similar unqualified recommendation: they say if you weigh over 80kg(176 lbs), then they aren't sure if the wheels will be strong enough. I would think if one set could survive that race under Backstedt, Campy would offer a better outlook.

TomP
08-09-2004, 06:53 AM
Hi,
The same thing happened to a friend's Ksyriums. Remove the freehub and clean all the parts thoroughly. Lightly lube the pawls only. Apply mineral oil to the rest of the inside of the freehub mechanism. Apparently regular lube will gum it up.

flydhest
08-09-2004, 08:56 AM
Interesting. I wonder whether he did the whole race on one set. Unfortunately, Campy does not offer a similar unqualified recommendation: they say if you weigh over 80kg(176 lbs), then they aren't sure if the wheels will be strong enough. I would think if one set could survive that race under Backstedt, Campy would offer a better outlook.

That seems like an odd inference. Surviving one, admittedly tough, race under a heavy person hardly suggests that a similarly heavy or heavier person could get 15000 miles out of them, about the mileage you'd have to expect to guarantee them for a year.

Campy's conservative weight limit is likely a reflection of the cost it would be to replace them if/when they break. Not necessarily what the average lifespan is given a heavy rider, but what the lifespan of maybe the shortest-lived 10%.

vaxn8r
08-09-2004, 03:29 PM
I agree. That's like the tandemers who use Ksyriums. They aren't going to give out on any single ride but then again, they aren't going to last beyond a year or so either before they start showing stress fractures..

You can't tell much from one race/ride.

BigMac
08-09-2004, 08:24 PM
It's difficult to isolate the problem based on what I am reading in your description. You mention repeatedly that this is a freehub spinning issue but then you mention that when you have removed the freehub, the axle does not spin freely in your fingers. Is this correct? It could be that bearing preload is too tight but I am suspecting that you may in fact have a bent axle. Could the axle have been bent at factory or during shipping? Quite possible, ime. The good news is that a new axle is relatively cheap and as long as you have not put excessive miles on the wheel in question, the bearings and races should not be damaged. Should this be covered under warranty? Yes, however it can be difficult getting warranty reapirs through Campy-USA, at least ime, Campy-It is very easy to deal with. It may be worth putting in a warranty claim through LBS to see what claim coverage time will be, if excessive, just order a new axle and be done with it. You should be able to check for axle straightness using a marble or granite surface or glass table top with reasonable accuracy.

If your problems are just the freehub, its likely a bad pawl (they are very rarely machined improperly) or more commonly a warped/ovalized freehub shell -- use vernier caliper to measure roundness -- which you will definately want to persue warranty coverage as this will be a pricey repair. Let us know if you find the culprit, good luck.

Ride on! :banana: :banana: :banana:

ressbautista
08-17-2004, 01:00 AM
To clarify, Backstedt rode Nucleons in the 2004 Paris-Roubaix. Though they are almost identical to the Neutrons.

Safe riding all
Ress