PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii cycling

PaMtbRider
01-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Does anyone have any experience with cycling in Hawaii? My wife and I are celebrating 20 years of marriage this year and are planning on going to Hawaii. We both have S&S coupled bikes, well, hopefully Tom K. will have hers finished before the trip. We haven't booked anything yet or made any definate plans on what islands we want to visit. Unless someone has a highly reccomended cycling tour company we planned on renting a car to get away from the cities and riding our bikes on our own. Thanks.

coylifut
01-07-2008, 07:49 PM
avoid Oahu for sure

manet
01-07-2008, 07:51 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/member.php?userid=19

maunahaole
01-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Avoid Oahu for cycling. Lots of traffic. Cyclist unfriendly. Bad roads with lots of potholes. I live here - I know.

Touring on the Big Island would be epic. Roads there are generally good, but with narrow shoulders. Not much traffic, but people drive fast and not particularly well. It has the advantage over Oahu, Kauai and Maui of being able to ride around the island. Generally very rural with small town feel for most of the island, Kailua-Kona being the exception.

I have not spent enough time on Kauai to give a good rundown, but it is rainy and there are not a lot of roads into the interior of the island. Maui could be a good place to ride, traffic is a problem, but the roads are generally good, with some exception. If you are feeling ambitious, it does offer the ability to summit Haleakala, the 10,000' peak. Road to the top is good quality.

I'll try to help you out any way I can.

maunahaole
01-07-2008, 07:57 PM
check this out too, for more detail: http://www.state.hi.us/dot/highways/bike/bikeplan/index.htm

bigbill
01-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Oahu is rideable, but if you have the chance to ride the Big Island or Maui, do that. If you go to Maui, check out the west end of the island. We like the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel. It is not the newest, but it is locally owned and operated. You can get a rental car package deal with them that is pretty good. It is the friendliest place that we have ever stayed. You can easily ride from the hotel and head around the NW corner of the island. That road has a shoulder for most of way and is a beautiful ride. The only highways are on Oahu, so the other islands use two lane roads for their 80 mph driving so be careful.

I lived on Oahu until May of this year and rode daily. I can't say it was that good or safe, but the weather was perfect almost every day. Lots of good riders on Oahu. Oahu requires tuffies or tough tires due to the large amounts of glass. Not so bad on the other islands.

chuckred
01-07-2008, 09:19 PM
I have not spent enough time on Kauai to give a good rundown, but it is rainy and there are not a lot of roads into the interior of the island.

There are a few roads on Kauai with bike lanes. Last time I actually rode a bike there though was in 1979... I don't even think about it when I go now - the hiking is phenomenal, and while there is certainly some mountain biking to be done, the hiking is so amazing that I'd just as soon do that.

My recommendation - just go and enjoy the place, relax, swim, hike, eat and drink. That's my plan for 10 days at the end of the month!

Elefantino
01-07-2008, 09:22 PM
June Jones says don't go to Hawaii. Go to Dallas.

PoppaWheelie
01-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Maui has some great riding, but not a huge variety. That being said, the climb up Haleakala is one of the best I've done....36 miles up from sea to nearly 11,000. Start in Paia and pack a wind jacket...the top can be cold. I'll be doing that one again in March....can't wait.

The west side, from Kahana around the backside is also a fantastic ride. Very few cars...most going slow to gawk at the views and the dude selling weed.

I've yet to do it, but I'm really eager to ride fully around the east sideof the isalnd...out to Hana from Kahului (maybe lots of traffic on the twisty outward leg...but again slow tourists) and around the backside of the volcano. That back road is almost deserted and is one of my favorite parts of the island. Some of the road back there is unpaved...roll your 32' s for that one and bring lots of water. Historically there is a fruit-stand at the 1/2-way point...they have good papayas and probably water. If you want to avoid the cars running up the Hana if might be fun to drive there like everyone else and do an out/back to the Tedechi winery around the back.

Have fun...!!

SummitAK
01-07-2008, 10:54 PM
I would also recommend the Big Island. I've been following the wife to a triathlon or two there for the past 4 years. We stay along the Kohala course and do a lot of riding in that area. The Queen K highway between Kailua-Kona and Hawi is the Ironman course. Lots of bicycling along here with shoulders as wide as lanes to Kawaihae and good shoulders to Hawi. Tradewinds can be a big issue. Picking the wrong time of day can be quicksand one way while you run out of gear at 40mph on the flats the other direction.

The Old Mamalohoa Highway east out of Waimea/Kamuela to Honoka'a or on to Waipio is a great ride. Kohala Mountain Road between Hawi and Waimea/Kamuela offers awesome views and shows the diversity of the island. I haven't braved this narrow, winding mountain road, but have seen a lot of locals ride it.

You could do a lot of riding around Volcano NP. Even with the population around Kailua-Kona there would be some great rides around the Keauhou Bay and Honaunau area. I'm sure the same is true for areas around Hilo. I'm not sure about the current construction schedule on the Saddle Road, but this could be fun too.

I'd probably stick with the car and day rides. Here are links for this and from someone who tried the touring option:

Day Rides (http://www.steephill.tv/galleries/2005/hawaii/)

Big Island Tour - Counterclockwise (http://www.biketrip2001.com/hawaii_2006,_part_ii.htm)

I haven't been to Maui as often, but I'm sure there are some awesome rides there. Kahuna probably has some great tips. Traffic there seems a little faster than the Big Island. And though the coast is neat from Ma'alaea to Lahaina the traffic there seems really heavy. Someday I need to get something worked out so I can mtb the Haleakala Skyline trail down to Polipoli Park:) I'll leave the road ride up Haleakala for the Cycle to the Sun racers;)

Hope this helps...

dsimon
01-08-2008, 04:07 AM
if you like you can Pm me or email me i Lived on oahu for three 3years and have been to every island. If you like i can talk about what little i know :beer:

ericspin
01-08-2008, 05:18 AM
Maui has some great riding, but not a huge variety. That being said, the climb up Haleakala is one of the best I've done....36 miles up from sea to nearly 11,000. Start in Paia and pack a wind jacket...the top can be cold. I'll be doing that one again in March....can't wait.

The west side, from Kahana around the backside is also a fantastic ride. Very few cars...most going slow to gawk at the views and the dude selling weed.

I've yet to do it, but I'm really eager to ride fully around the east sideof the isalnd...out to Hana from Kahului (maybe lots of traffic on the twisty outward leg...but again slow tourists) and around the backside of the volcano. That back road is almost deserted and is one of my favorite parts of the island. Some of the road back there is unpaved...roll your 32' s for that one and bring lots of water. Historically there is a fruit-stand at the 1/2-way point...they have good papayas and probably water. If you want to avoid the cars running up the Hana if might be fun to drive there like everyone else and do an out/back to the Tedechi winery around the back.

Have fun...!!

I'm with Poppa on this. I've always thought the road to Hana would be a blast. You just have to know going in that there will be some traffic. Also like his idea of a ride starting in Paia and going through Up Country to Haleakala. I can't remember the name of the _cowboy_ town in Up Country but that would be fun. Next time I go to Maui I _will _have a bike, I think there is much fun to be had on two wheels.

PaMtbRider
01-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks for all the great feedback. We were thinking about the big island and it sounds like that might offer the best riding.

maunahaole
01-08-2008, 01:18 PM
The air quality around the volcano on the big island can sometimes be a little sketchy, depending on the levels of activity. Goddess Pele does like to put a little bit of sulfur up into the air, which doesnt always agree with everyone. If you are planning of riding in Kohala area, this won't be a worry. The Hamakua coast (roughly between Hilo and Kamuela) looks like some awesome riding, but it can be rainy over there. Kona side is normally dry, but humid. A day or two in Hilo town is a must - for the farmer's market (Weds. and Sat., saturday is better).

Honokowai
01-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Recommend Maui or Hawai'i also, though on Maui I'd really think long and hard about Haleakala - it's a very tough ride.

On the west side, the ride from Honokowai through Kahakuloa and down towards Waihee is hilly and beautiful - it's real narrow from the north end of
Kahakuloa through Waihe'e. Some good rides through the Ha'iku and Pukalani too.

I've seen some on the narrow parts of the Hana road, and I wouldn't do it myself - too many malihini's looking and few of them are driving well. Around Hana, there would be some goo flat rides - Hana town to any of the beaches south of town.

The back end of the Hana road (around Kaupo and up towards Ulupalakua should be real quiet, as the rode has been closed east of Kaupo since the October 2006 earthquake. It's desolate there, but beautiful.

The Hawi to Kamuela ride on the Big Island would be a great one - years ago I rode the Saddle Road from Kona to Hilo and it was bumpy and quite a climb. Lots of little places in Hawai'i (island), and the ride up to the Volcano might be great - it's also good to go from the Volcano towards Hilo, though it is rainy usually.

Enjoy and Aloha!

csm
01-09-2008, 08:00 PM
CSI owner.... Schofield?

dsimon
01-10-2008, 04:29 AM
Roger CSM i was know im at Benning, I was on Funeral detail so i have been to every Island a few times and would always make a trip to a bike shop or 2. :no:

csm
01-10-2008, 08:40 PM
I did funeral detail when I was there; seems to me it was only a week or so. not too many drops.
can you still ride up kole kole pass?

maunahaole
01-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Kolekole pass is generally closed. Military doesn't want folks up there for some reason. It has opened briefly a couple of times when the road to Waianae has been blocked.

csm
01-10-2008, 08:45 PM
I rode it from schofield. they wouldn't let us ride down the other side. used to run up it once a month or so too.

dsimon
01-11-2008, 04:29 AM
Hey kole kole pass was still open when i left you just couldn't go to the other side but you know we would try it then they finally had to put a sign up stating no running or biking past here :crap:

csm
01-11-2008, 07:21 PM
they would stop us at the top from the schofield side.

maunahaole
01-11-2008, 07:25 PM
Access for civilians is pretty much non-existent. Base access is a little tricky without the sticker.

csm
01-12-2008, 08:11 AM
there's always the tantalus.

maunahaole
01-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Tantalus is very close to where I live. I can see the state park lookout from out my front door...the climb taunts me on a daily basis. Round top drive just reopened last week. It had been closed due to a slide for an extended period. The Round top climb is a good little after work excursion.

csm
01-12-2008, 03:39 PM
friends of ours just moved there. they don't bike tho.

Kahuna
01-13-2008, 01:00 PM
Recommend Maui or Hawai'i also, though on Maui I'd really think long and hard about Haleakala - it's a very tough ride.

In general it's hard, but you can also tailor it to make it as easy or as tough as you want. Anyone in halfway decent condition can probably get up to the visitor center just above they park entrance at 6,500 feet. This shortened version a great ride if you're not up to going all the way to the summit. You also don't need to start at sea level either. Park at the Kula Lodge and start from there, or Rice Park a bit further down.

On the west side, the ride from Honokowai through Kahakuloa and down towards Waihee is hilly and beautiful - it's real narrow from the north end of
Kahakuloa through Waihe'e. Some good rides through the Ha'iku and Pukalani too.

Indeed, the west Maui loop is a terrific ride. I like it best going clockwise which is 60 miles starting and finishing at Haycroft Beach at Maalaea. The ride can be very challenging with the hills and tradewinds but the last 7 miles will make you feel like a hero cruising back on the slight downhill flat, spun out in your 12 with a 25mph tailwind pushing you along. Woo-hoo!

I've seen some on the narrow parts of the Hana road, and I wouldn't do it myself - too many malihini's looking and few of them are driving well.

Well you should. It's one of the best rides on the planet and I never thought the traffic was that bad. In general, your right about the tourists, but far worse are the locals in their jacked pickups screeching around the blind corners on two wheels. Nevertheless, anyone who's ever ridden around the suburbs of a major city will think the traffic out to Hana and back is a piece of cake by comparison.

Be forewarned however, this is a tough exhausting ride. There's lots of hills and the one that goes up from Keanae to Nahiku is a real bastard. The ride can be hot, humid and often very wet. On the plus side, the views of the coastline are world class spectacular. You will be going past waterfalls, rainforests full of bamboo and lush tropical foliage with scents of guava and jasmine in the air. It's flippin' unreal.

The back end of the Hana road (around Kaupo and up towards Ulupalakua should be real quiet, as the rode has been closed east of Kaupo since the October 2006 earthquake. It's desolate there, but beautiful.

Too bad the road is closed to vehicular traffic because the best way to do this ride is with a support vehicle. I've never gone all the way around east Maui this way, but my friends have and the only way they do it is with someone driving support.

Other great rides can be found all around the upcountry Kula area including Keokea and Ulapalakua, and not to forget Haleakala. There are many variations depending how much climbing you want to do. The temps and weather up there tend to be ideal for cycling. Many locals think of Kula as the hub of Maui cycling and sort of fan out from there.

Anyone planning to visit Maui and ride should pick up a copy of the Maui County Bicycle Map. It's a great guide. You can get these maps at the 4 different bike shop on the island. Do a search on this forum as the locations and telephone numbers for these shops have already been posted.

Aloha!

-K

bigbill
01-13-2008, 01:50 PM
This post needed some pictures. I took these while on a group ride in the spring of 07 in the Waimanalo area of east Oahu. Oahu has a bad rep for cycling but you can find nice places if know where to look.

Kahuna
01-13-2008, 03:23 PM
A few shots from along the road to Hana...

shoe
01-13-2008, 11:12 PM
here are some photos from when i was on the big island above kona...rented a bike for a few days and enjoyed going to seek out different places to ride while i was there..it rained everyday i was there (bad timing is all time before was nice)but it was still a good time...i would just follow things down and seek out trails and dirt roads to see where they would go....it is cool the different terrain...the new lava fields look like you are on the moon....good luck with the trip....dave

shoe
01-13-2008, 11:14 PM

shoe
01-13-2008, 11:15 PM

shoe
01-13-2008, 11:22 PM