PDA

View Full Version : Need help re: cycling in N.C.

Elefantino
01-07-2008, 05:37 PM
We're going to be vacationing near Bryson City, N.C., in late March. It'll be cold, but we still want to ride lots. We'll be real close to the Nantahala Outdoor Center.

Can anyone point me to some good rides?

Thanks

J.Greene
01-07-2008, 06:09 PM
We're going to be vacationing near Bryson City, N.C., in late March. It'll be cold, but we still want to ride lots. We'll be real close to the Nantahala Outdoor Center.

Can anyone point me to some good rides?

Thanks

If your bringing an atb the tsali trails are all you need.

JG

Pete Serotta
01-07-2008, 06:15 PM
You can also rent at the center...also check BLUE RIDGE BIKE CLUB routes http://www.blueridgebicycleclub.org/

PETE

michael white
01-07-2008, 06:22 PM
that's the best town in the Eastern US for mtn biking; follow the above advice.

a100mark
01-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Hopefully you will bring your mtb, otherwise you will miss out on the greatest trails in the SouthEast. Make sure you hit Thompson Loop, by far the best!

rnhood
01-07-2008, 06:36 PM
One very scenic ride is the Richland Balsam Parkway ride. There is a Parkway entrance a few miles North of Sylva where highway 74/23 crosses the Parkway. This is also known as the Balsam entrance. On a clear day its undoubtedly one of the more scenic rides on the Parkway. You'll start off with a very consistent, yet relatively tame, 10 mile climb that ranges between 5 and 7.5% grade. It will peak at the Richland Balsam overlook which is the highest point on the Parkway. From here you ride on to either the Devils Courthouse overlook(another 8 miles) or, on to the Graveyards (another 12 miles). Then you turn and come back. Total ride is close to 44 miles if you turn around at the Graveyard overlook with about 5200 ft or so elevation gain. There are overlooks about every half mile so, plenty of stops if you need them. The views of the Balsam mountains are breathtaking.

There are numerous other rides in and around the area, many much more difficult but, this particular one is a good example of Parkway riding at its best and, it is well worth the trip especially on a clear day.

WadePatton
01-07-2008, 07:03 PM
The dirt on the dirt at Tsali:

http://www.sorbachattanooga.org/New%20SORBA%20SITE/trails.htm

Never ridden a skinny tire over there, but I hear that's good too.

AND it won't necessarily be cold--could be a warm spell, cold be frigid. enjoy.

Elefantino
01-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Sorry, should have specified.

Strictly roadie rides.

We're bringing the bikes.

Cabin has two hot tubs, one indoor and one outdoor. And a pool table. And a foosball table.

We're pumped.

taz-t
01-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Sorry, should have specified.

Strictly roadie rides.

We're bringing the bikes.

Here's what you need: http://www.noc.com/events_tournany.html

Be prepared to climb...

Also, NOC to the river put in and back is an easy 15 miles, head up Wayah/Nantahala Rd to add distance.

Got family on the Franklin (south) side of Wayah Mt. Beautiful area, rent mtbs and hit Tsali and Fontana Village while you're there.

- taz

dawgie
01-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Post a message on www.roadbikereview.com in the Commuting & Touring forum. There's a guy named Duckman who posts there often with photos of rides in Western NC. I think he lives near Nantahala OC. I always read his posts because I grew up in that area and the photos remind me of home.

It could be cold and/or windy in the WNC mountains in March. Then again, it could be surprisingly mild. Lots of nice roads as long as you don't mind climbing. Also it's close to the Blue Ridge Parkway, which starts near Cherokee, and the Skyline drive in Eastern Tennessee.

Kevan
01-09-2008, 03:40 PM
I was down that way about 3 summers ago in Fontana and knocked around on my bike on route 28 there. Balancing other family doings I got in one long ride:

Route 28 to 129 heading towards Robbinsville then a left onto 143 that brought me back to 28 about halfway between where you're going and where I was at. 55 miles there abouts, I think. Terrific scenery. Amazing dams ( the one on the corner of 28 and 129 was used in the filming of "The Fugitive" - Harrison Ford - he's gonna jump!) You'll be riding along streams lakes and woods mostly and not until I hit 143 did I have much traffic to deal with. Robbinsville ain't the purdiest of places, but you can find food n drink there. Pavement was generally in good shape as I recall except for the final descent on 143 to 28 which was steep and long. Hands were numb at the bottom from squeezing. About the road grades....you'll find some steep competition particularly on 28 until you get past the Fontana reservoir. Can't recall all the details but I think 143 had a good long haul too.

You might get a kick out of doing a short side adventure by turning right on route 129 into Tennessee. That section of road there is called the "Tail of the Dragon", made popular with the motorcycle crowd with its many..many banked hairpin turns. You'll spot some soiled photos and flowers next to some turns where someone didn't quite make it. Being that you're on a bicycle you'll be safer-ish.

Hope that's some help to you. Enjoy!

Kevan