PDA

View Full Version : which clearcoat/nail polish to get?

scpknees
01-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Hey,
I have a few chips on my carbon ergo's. can anyone suggest what to use for some touch up. I tried some nail polish but it didn't hold.
thanks much!

JT

Dave
01-07-2008, 02:55 PM
If nail polish didn't hold, you probably didn't have the lever clean before applying it. Use some acetone to remove the old polish and try again. If there are any areaas where the clearcoat is white, that means the clearcoat is loose, but hasn't fallen off. Those areas need to be removed, either with fine sandpaper, like 400 grit, or carefully pried off with an Xacto knife.

Clear lacquer that comes in a spray can will also work in place of nail polish.

Don't use nail polish remover in place of acetone, since it can contain some amount of oil as a nail conditioner.

None of these readily avaialable touch-ups are as durable as the original clearcoat, whihc is probably an expensive chemically hardened urethane. A lot of sweaty hand contact may result in the need for more touch-ups.

92degrees
01-07-2008, 02:57 PM
i've had good luck with "sally hansen hard as nails"

Blue Jays
01-07-2008, 02:58 PM
See if Tom Kellogg (http://www.Spectrum-Cycles.com) is shooting any clear and if your parts can be included in the paint booth!

thwart
01-07-2008, 05:16 PM
I've had good luck with clear gloss automotive touch-up, available in small containers in auto part stores. Dries quickly, seems to hold up well.

333halfevil
01-09-2008, 12:04 AM
Nail polish will work, but you must lightly scuff the area that it is being applied to. It is just like clear coat as the application goes, if you try putting it over a smooth surface it will not adhere due to the lack of etching agents. Also, you can use a product such as quick set 50 which is available at automotive supply stores. It is a 2 part clear epoxy, that is sandable and buffable in 10 minutes. Also, if you use nail polish it too is sandable and buffable once it cures. Good luck.