PDA

View Full Version : Attention Aussie forum members!

hybridbellbaske
01-06-2008, 09:21 PM
I have signed up to do the 130km Alpine Classic later this month.

Had a great week training last week- lots of km's- lots of hills- feeling OK on the bike but a bit p@#^* off that even with all that riding I still have not dropped a gram in weight. Bugger.

Anyone else doing the Alpine Classic?

cs124
01-07-2008, 02:51 AM
Not this year for me...too much work and not enough training.

I've done some riding in the area before (Towonga Gap, Falls Creek, Mt Buffalo, Mt Hotham) in cooler weather, about a month after the event is run. The 130k route is a tough ride but the event is very well supported with water/food stops and sag wagons. Audax Australia do a great job.

Be prepared for heat. The Mt Beauty side of Towonga is very exposed to the sun and the rock faces radiate baking heat. My friends flight deck read 51 degC there in '06!

Have fun, and be sure to post a report.

Russity
01-07-2008, 03:49 AM
...which is a shame, because I have some form at the moment and really fancied it this year. Trouble is....I can't think of any good reason why I didn't sign up for it last year??? I'll have to make do with the Bright Training Camp that is coming up in March with a few of the guys.

While you're here...get across to Mt Baw Baw and really see what a climb is all about. Take a 29 rear and an oxygen tank though...believe me you'll need them.

BTW, you're not the guy from Adelaide who called me about the Hyperon Tubs I have for sale are you? He was coming across to do the Alpine Classic too if memory serves me correctly. They are still for sale too.

R.

GregLR
01-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Yes, it's a great event with about 2000 riders, and there's a wonderful atmosphere in Bright throughout the long weekend with so many cyclists around. But then I'm a bit biased, since I've been Secretary of Audax Australia for the past 3 years (retiring at the upcoming AGM), though I make no contribution to the huge effort that goes into organising this particular event.

I've done the 200km option 5 times, but this year I'll be riding the 70km option with my partner Toni, who hasn't ridden the event before and is a bit apprehensive about the prospect of the 20km climb up Mt Buffalo.

For those not familiar with the event, below is a copy of the elevation profile for the 200. The various options are out & back combinations of the different hills. For example, the 130km ride is an out & back from Bright to Falls Creek.

More information here: http://www.audax.org.au/alpine.htm The longer distances are sold out, but as indicated on this page entry for some of the shorter events will be available from 9 January.

Greg

BBB
01-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Yes, I'm in.

The profile of the ride speaks for itself, although it does not do justice to some of the issues noted in cs124's post. Let's hope the hot weather we've had lately does not re-appear on the 27th.

3chordwonder
01-07-2008, 05:31 PM
I'll be doing the 200, weather permitting. Here's hoping it will be like last year.

If it's going to be a fan-forced oven out there though I'll consider pulling in at Bright on the way back, opening a cold beer and leaving heatstroke and Mt. Buffalo for another time.

hybridbellbaske
01-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the responses!

Russity- no it wasn't me re the hyperon tubs- too rich for my blood!-plus I'm not sure they would stand up to my 100kgs!

I will be dragging my bloated carcass up the hills on my Fierte Ti with an old 9 speed Ultegra triple groupset, and 32 spoke Ambrosio wheels.

I'm saving the inner ring for the back side of Tawonga Gap- honest!

hybridbellbaske
01-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the responses!

Russity- no it wasn't me re the hyperon tubs- too rich for my blood!-plus I'm not sure they would stand up to my 100kgs!

I will be dragging my bloated carcass up the hills on my Fierte Ti with an old 9 speed Ultegra triple groupset, and 32 spoke Ambrosio wheels.

I'm saving the inner ring for the back side of Tawonga Gap- honest!

What will everyone else be riding? I'll be on the lookout for Serottae (plural of Serotta).

3chordwonder
01-07-2008, 06:49 PM
I'll be on an orange/white Baum or an older ti/carbon Seven Odonata. Not sure yet.

If you try to speak to me if you see me on the road, please don't be offended if I cough back unintelligibly. It won't be because I'm trying to be rude, I'll just be out of oxygen and mentally preoccupied.

'Skipper', another Melbourne area forumite with an orange/white Baum, may well be out at the event too. I hope so, since I'm planning to blame any potential reports of rudeness or lame riding by me on mistaken identity.

GregLR
01-07-2008, 07:09 PM
I'm planning to be on a silver & red Legend Ti, with Chorus running gear and wheels with OP rims. Ordinarily I'd use a bike with a triple so I can conserve energy in the section to Falls and over the back side of Tawonga, because I'm prone to chronic cramp in the baking afternoon heat on Buffalo. But as I said, this time I'm riding with my partner on the shortest option, which goes up Buffalo in the morning.

Greg

Simon Q
01-07-2008, 08:39 PM
...which is a shame, because I have some form at the moment and really fancied it this year. Trouble is....I can't think of any good reason why I didn't sign up for it last year??? I'll have to make do with the Bright Training Camp that is coming up in March with a few of the guys.

While you're here...get across to Mt Baw Baw and really see what a climb is all about. Take a 29 rear and an oxygen tank though...believe me you'll need them.

BTW, you're not the guy from Adelaide who called me about the Hyperon Tubs I have for sale are you? He was coming across to do the Alpine Classic too if memory serves me correctly. They are still for sale too.

R.

Right on Russity. I have ridden quite a few of the major passes in the Alps, Pyrenees (haven't done the Angliru which has a nasty rep) and Massif Central I found Baw Baw is as hard as any climb I have done.

01-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Crikey! I didn't even know there were any other Aussies on here