PDA

View Full Version : DT Swiss 1.1 rims

capybaras
01-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Is there some magic involved in getting tires on these rims? Why so hard? :crap:

labratmatt
01-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Maybe it's your tires? My Maxxis tires fit fine on my 1.1 rims.

Steve Hampsten
01-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Double eyelets, right?

Change out the rim strip to something thinner - Rox makes a good one. It's been covered elsewhere on this forum.

capybaras
01-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Managed to get Michelin pro races on - but am afraid of getting flat because it was so hard. Conti 4000s - could not even get them on. Do I need to lift weights? Maybe your Maxxis are the answer.

mcteague
01-06-2008, 03:35 PM
I have Pro2Race tires on my RR 1.1 rims and, while tight, are not that much worse that my old Open Pro rims. I could sometimes get them on without tire levers on the OPs but not the DTs.

Tim McTeague

capybaras
01-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Double eyelets, right?

Change out the rim strip to something thinner - Rox makes a good one. It's been covered elsewhere on this forum.

Thanks! I will try that.

LegendRider
01-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks! I will try that.

I went from Velox on DT1.1s (impossible to mount clinchers) to Zipp rim strips (from Excel) and the change made a HUGE difference.

capybaras
01-06-2008, 07:13 PM
I went from Velox on DT1.1s (impossible to mount clinchers) to Zipp rim strips (from Excel) and the change made a HUGE difference.

Thanks one million!

RudAwkning
01-06-2008, 07:30 PM

Did the same. Velox sits too high and makes it really hard to get that second bead around.

Now can someone explain to me why it's so bloody hard to mount tires on Fulcrums? (or Campy wheels in general).

I've snapped levers trying to get tires on and off these f'in things. Even our distributor, Sinclair Imports, said it's a problem.l

capybaras
01-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Did the same. Velox sits too high and makes it really hard to get that second bead around. Gracias.

Now can someone explain to me why it's so bloody hard to mount tires on Fulcrums? (or Campy wheels in general).

I've snapped levers trying to get tires on and off these f'in things. Even our distributor, Sinclair Imports, said it's a problem.l Lo siento.

Surftel
01-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Good to hear I am not the only one with this issue. I usually never have to use levers to get the tire back on, but darn these are tight

soulspinner
01-07-2008, 06:09 AM
Its worse in the cold. My Vittorias now go on easier with a Ritchey rim strip instead of Velox.

mikki
01-07-2008, 06:21 AM
Did the same. Velox sits too high and makes it really hard to get that second bead around.

I've snapped levers trying to get tires on and off these f'in things. Even our distributor, Sinclair Imports, said it's a problem.l

Wow! This is great information for me too. I've had the same experience!! Will make the change asap.

mcteague
01-07-2008, 06:58 AM
Hmm, I used to use Michelin plastic rim strips but had too many strange flats. They went away when I put Velox back on. Aren't the Zipp strips the same type of plastic? There are many reports of plastic strips splitting and just causing the same type of flats I used to have so I'll put up with the extra thickness of the Velox.

Tim McTeague

weiwentg
01-07-2008, 07:23 AM
Mike Garcia built me a pair of RR1.1s and put Ritchey snap on rim strips on them. like the Michelin snap ons, but thinner. they've worked very well, no durability problems. I can get Mich Pro Races on my rims without excessive effort.

LegendRider
01-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Hmm, I used to use Michelin plastic rim strips but had too many strange flats. They went away when I put Velox back on. Aren't the Zipp strips the same type of plastic? There are many reports of plastic strips splitting and just causing the same type of flats I used to have so I'll put up with the extra thickness of the Velox.

Tim McTeague

The Zipp rim strips have an adhesive backing - perhaps that makes a difference. I've had no problems with them.

RudAwkning
01-07-2008, 09:48 AM
One trick is to mount your tires on another rim and let them sit for a few days to stretch the bead out a little. They'll mount onto "trouble" rims a little easier after that.

davids
01-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Mike Garcia built me a pair of RR1.1s and put Ritchey snap on rim strips on them. like the Michelin snap ons, but thinner. they've worked very well, no durability problems. I can get Mich Pro Races on my rims without excessive effort.Same deal for me.

I've used two kinds of tires with my RR1.1/Ritchey snap-ons, the Veloflex Blacks and the Michelin Pro 2 Race Service Course.

The Veloflex are tough the first time, but once they've been inflated a while, they're pussycats to get on & off. The Michelins were pretty easy from the get-go.

And I like the rims a lot, btw.

72gmc
01-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Not an issue of mine (don't have DT 1.1s) but would veloplugs solve this problem?

Chief
01-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Not an issue of mine (don't have DT 1.1s) but would veloplugs solve this problem?

I've used veloplugs on mine and they helped, but still difficult to change tire. The problem I had with veloplugs is they fall out when changing the tire so I had to use Scotch tape to hold them in place. I have ordered out some Rox rim tape and will try that.

capybaras
01-13-2008, 05:36 AM
Switching the rim tape solved the problem! Thanks for the excellent advice.