PDA

View Full Version : My little Edge Composites rim update.

ergott
01-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Oh, yeah! They are even better live. I rode the front wheel already, but the set will hit the road tomorrow. They have the carbon hum at speed that begs you for more effort. They make you faster simply because you'd feel guilty not going all out with them on the bike.

The shots were taken with my new Rebel Xti. I shot on a tripod outside so I could skip using the flash. Natural light is always the best. The overcast weather made for no glares.

Oh yeah, the wheels:
Edge Composites 1.68mm tubulars
White Industries H1 front and H2 rear (couldn't get an H1 rear)
Sapim CX-Ray spokes
Pillar alloy locking nipples
20 2X front and 24 2X left and 1X right

1260g for the set

I got the idea for the pattern from Troy @ Ligero and Jeremy @ Alchemy. Believe it or not, we talk all the time and share opinions and ideas. I think we are all better for it. Anyway, the idea is to get the right side spokes as far from center as possible. The 1X pattern allows all the spokes to come out one side and since they are not radial, they stress the hub less and still transfer power. The right side is 2X for better power transfer. The spokes are cut down from longer spokes as this allowed me to use the right spokes to have them cross at the bladed section of the spoke. They cross perfectly so there are no unusual bends. This also helps rear mech clearance. I checked and there is plenty of clearance for the rear mech in the low gear. Another thing I did to help this is respace the hub to 132.5mm. This allows for better centering of the hub and gives even more right side clearance.

The standard measurement for H2 center to center right is 16.7mm. Add 1.25mm for the respaced hub. Add 1.7mm for half the flange thickness and another 1mm for half the spoke width. Total center to right measurement becomes 18.95mm. Flange width goes from 54.8mm to 57.5mm. Wider is laterally stiffer without any negatives. You can radial the left side, but the negative is lower tension and won't add as much lateral stiffness and the right side.

Long term reports to come...

pics
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=454703&postcount=74