PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! New to MAC

mdeeds71
01-04-2008, 12:48 PM
I have a mac and I am new to it.

My question is how do you uninstall a program...I am used to using the uninstaller on the pc but cannot find a way to do it here and get rid of all the associations with it.

Thanks

markie
01-04-2008, 12:51 PM
There is free-ware and share-ware to do it. But not an official mac application.

I just put what I don't need in the trash.......

scrubadub
01-04-2008, 12:57 PM
I've been using Macs for a long time and haven't really needed to formally uninstall software. I often will just delete the application/folder in question and not worry about preferences. Occasionally I get bored and go through the ~/Library/Preferences folder (the one you get to by going to Home, then opening up the Library folder as opposed to the one that is located from the hard disk). But it's not strictly necessary.

Just for kicks, I searched on MacUpdate and found a couple of uninstallers but none of them had great reviews.

Pete Serotta
01-04-2008, 12:59 PM
drag the program icon into the trash.....that is all

avalonracing
01-04-2008, 01:15 PM
drag the program icon into the trash.....that is all

+1
The people who aren't on a Mac refuse to believe that things can be this easy.

rwsaunders
01-04-2008, 01:18 PM
If you're uncertain, make an appointment (online) with a Mac Genius at your local Apple store and they'll walk you through the process....for free. Sort of like the Forum. :cool:

sbornia
01-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Not to thread hijack (himac), but is anyone excited about the upcoming Macworld event?? I am looking forward to replacing the slower of my two Macs, a Mini that can't keep up with my work. Loads of speculation about what Apple will announce in a couple of weeks...

Pete Serotta
01-04-2008, 01:35 PM
If you have a store close to you , the MAC Genius assistance is wonderful.

If you're uncertain, make an appointment (online) with a Mac Genius at your local Apple store and they'll walk you through the process....for free. Sort of like the Forum. :cool:

spincycle
01-04-2008, 02:13 PM
The Apple support site has some very good discussion boards and a good search feature. Here's a link to a discussion on uninstalling applications:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6231383�

The link to their discussion boards (there is a bunch of them) is directly below. If you don't know where to look just use the search box in the upper right and chances are you'll find what you need.

http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa?categoryID=1

The other advice you have gotten is right on. If you are anywhere near an Apple Store the genius bar can be very helpful.

I do all of the IT distance support for my college age kids. They think I'm a genius...little do they know. :) I almost always find what I need on the discussion boards. Good luck.