PDA

View Full Version : Solvang/ Santa Barbara area ride suggestions

dbrown
01-04-2008, 12:37 PM
I have a meeting in the Solvang/ Santa Barbara area next weekend, and will have all day Sunday available for cycling. If anyone has any suggestions on good 30-50 mile rides around Solvang or Santa Ynez I'd like to hear about them. (I'm also open to suggestions for wineries to visit!) If there is a good place to rent good road bikes let me know. If not, I'll bring my bike on the plane with me. Thanks for the help.

Dave

swoop
01-04-2008, 12:53 PM
solvang is some of the best riding in the country....

ride from solvang out to jalama beach.

mosca
01-04-2008, 12:59 PM
You could preview the Tour of California TT route:

http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/docroot/media/2008/2008-stage5-map.pdf

Pete Serotta
01-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Dave, try here

http://www.sbbike.org/

I have a meeting in the Solvang/ Santa Barbara area next weekend, and will have all day Sunday available for cycling. If anyone has any suggestions on good 30-50 mile rides around Solvang or Santa Ynez I'd like to hear about them. (I'm also open to suggestions for wineries to visit!) If there is a good place to rent good road bikes let me know. If not, I'll bring my bike on the plane with me. Thanks for the help.

Dave

There is a SANTA BARBARA county bike map which ha quite a few routes. Search under the county web or contact one of the bike stores like FAST TRAC in the area.

Bud_E
01-04-2008, 01:08 PM
+1 Beat me to it. Try giving FasTrack in SB a call.

I hope you're able to avoid the foul weather headed our way.

Jack Brunk
01-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Wineries

Foxen
Sea Smoke
Rancho Sisquioc
Have lunch/dinner at the Hitching Post and buy some of their Highliner Pinot Noir.

bcm119
01-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Either out to jalama or Figueroa mountain. Personally I think Figueroa is a nicer ride, esp. if its windy.

Brunk's wine recs are good, esp. foxen; I'd add Foley and Byron for pinots and Andrew Murray for rhones. A nice wine/lunch can be had at the Side Street Cafe in los olivos.

For some local flavor stop at Cold Spring tavern off 154 on san marcos pass.

dbrown
01-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Thank you all for the quick replies. I called FasTrack earlier today, but had forgotten about the time zone difference. Will call again later today. I had looked for the Tour of California stage map, but didn't see that link before. I will definitely take Jack's recommendations for places to eat and taste!

SoCalSteve
01-04-2008, 02:54 PM
I'd be happy to scan and email the Solvang Prelude metric route map to you (or anyone else who is interested).

Just PM me your email address.

Steve

dbrown
01-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Steve,
PM sent. Thanks.

dookie
01-05-2008, 07:47 AM
wanna climb? check out gibraltar rd.