PDA

View Full Version : Di Notte lighting opinions?

d_douglas
01-04-2008, 02:06 AM
I am looking at buying a simple, modest quality light system for about $150-175.

I have heard that some lights by Dinotte run on AA batteries - is that true and if yes, is that a good thing? Are there advantages to using this as a power source vs using an actual purpose built battery? Seems standard rechargeable AAs would be a good idea, but I don't want the fact that I have a set of rechargeables to be the deciding factor for what kind of light I get!

Any thoughts on other LED systems for commuting and the occasional night ride that will end up less than $200? The Nite Rider Mi Newt? Others?

Thanks for your replies.....

Darren

Too Tall
01-04-2008, 06:41 AM
Dinote lights are great. I'm NO fan of disposable batteries. Pay for the upgrade you won't be sorry.

Geoff
01-04-2008, 07:17 AM
I use a Dinote 3W lithium for early morning road rides in the country(5am through dawn). It works well enough although I would get the 5W if I were buying again and definately get the lithium battery. Look at performance bike, I got mine when it was on sale + 20% coupon and only paid around 130 for it.

Geoff

znfdl
01-04-2008, 07:26 AM
Dinnotes are great lights. Pay for the battery upgrade, as it lasts longer than the AA set up.

stevep
01-04-2008, 07:35 AM
princeton tech makes a really nice led light w/ lithium battery for under 2 bills.

nice light.

scrubadub
01-04-2008, 09:44 AM
I have the helmet mount and also the taillight. I use rechargeable AAs which work great for my short commute. I just have to remember to recharge every week or so which isn't a big deal. I've gotten burned in the past with proprietary battery packs. I have two Niteriders whose packs have run their course and replacements cost way too much. I started soldering my own but didn't do a good job and had a short-circuit... that's another story though.

My only comment is that while I love having the helmet mounted light to shine at drivers, mounting the battery pack on the helmet makes the whole thing kind of uncomfortable. I don't mind, because it's one less thing to detach from the bike and I can just stuff the whole thing in my bag. But I initially gave it to my fiancee and she hated having that much weight on her head, so we went to a bar mounted light. Also the helmet version has a built-in taillight which seems like a good idea but is really weak. If I did it over again I'd just get the version that only has the light on the front.

SleepyCyclist
01-04-2008, 10:17 AM
I've been using the original Dinotte for a couple of years now, mainly to commute during winter months. The AA options, the small size, amount of useful output and reasonable cost (especially if you find it on sale) were what won me over the more typical options.

5w, helmet mount, works great for me - you naturally point it to whatever you're looking at. Though I know the Li are sleeker and hold more charge, I really like the AA option. I just keep an extra charged 4pack in my bag. No issues w proprietary systems, cost of battery replacements, etc.

I'd give it a try - been very happy w mine.

M

spiderman
01-04-2008, 11:21 AM
if you use it enough
the battery case will break
or will likely become a hassle...
i upgraded to lithium
and am very pleased.
i also have a half-sized battery unit
that is a much better fit on my helmet.
the other thing that really helps
is an optional y connector
that is more durable the the shorter u connector
when operating two lights from a single battery.

dawgie
01-04-2008, 11:45 AM
If you want an excellent light for a reasonable cost, at least check out the Fenix LED flashlights at www.fenix-store.com

I have the L2D Premium model and it puts out an incredible amount of light with very good run times. I run mine on the second highest setting get over 4 hours of run time using rechargeable AA batteries. The light with a mount costs about $65 or so. With batteries, it only weighs about 100 grams.

CNY rider
01-04-2008, 11:47 AM
I'm another satisfied customer.

I have the helmet mounted model with AA batteries.

Tip: Get an extra AA battery charger and keep it at work if you are using the light to commute. Then if it's run down unexpectedly while riding to work you won't face a dark commute home.

jimcav
01-04-2008, 12:43 PM
i have the dinotte 3W, recharge AA. I have one recharger at work, on at home, as soon as i arrive at either palce, i pop the batteries in.
I get 75-90 minutes from mine, which is about as long as i go in winter to and from work in the dark (i start on low or flash even and then go to hi as it gets fully dark).
on rare occassions i have gone longer, and i put a pack of regular AA in the saddle bag. you can get an extra AA charger at radio shack.
I am not sure i'd buy the ltihium if i was buying now. the AA is very versatile. I have had proprietary batteries (older cateye NiMh and nite rider lithium fail--and then you can't just pop in 4 AA durecells and go)
jim

billrick
01-04-2008, 05:35 PM
Dinotte + Berthoud Bar bag = Yummy

I carry the battery pack, an extra set of AA batteries, house keys, and some figgy newtons in the bag. Bright enough for low-speed singletrack for me, and I have the old version.

http://lh3.google.com/wkenren/R0iy1PgWwtI/AAAAAAAABDI/46zOwENQgLw/DSC_0238.JPG?imgmax=576

shinomaster
01-04-2008, 05:44 PM
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=6000101&subcategory=60001067&brand=&sku=22594&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Front%20Lights

I just got that for Christmas...I'm not sure I need it. My brother got a Dinotte, for about $400..and loves it.

Ahneida Ride
01-04-2008, 05:55 PM
I run with a DiNotte tail light and a front Amber daytime light.
I can be spotted a mile away ....
Some people even think I am Police.

I have the AA version. No problemos ......

great product and great service.

One can purchase exemplary Charges and Batteries at ....

Battery Charges and Batteries (http://thomas-distributing.com/nimh_battery_chargers.htm)

I just can't say enough nice complements about DiNotte.
The stuff works.

dekindy
01-05-2008, 06:38 PM
If you want an excellent light for a reasonable cost, at least check out the Fenix LED flashlights at www.fenix-store.com

I have the L2D Premium model and it puts out an incredible amount of light with very good run times. I run mine on the second highest setting get over 4 hours of run time using rechargeable AA batteries. The light with a mount costs about $65 or so. With batteries, it only weighs about 100 grams.

+1. Fenix-store has bar and helmet mounts for the flashlight or you can make your own. A light on the bar and one on the helmet are all that most cyclists need and many could get by with just one fenix. A 2650 Duracell fully charged will last 2 hours on turbo and twice as long on the high setting. You really cannot tell much difference between the two settings.

woolly
01-06-2008, 09:07 AM
I love 'em. I've got a 600L bar-mount (Li), 200L bar/head-mount (Li), and a AA taillight. In the Dinotte line, the Li-ION versions provide more flexibility of configuration - battery sharing, Y-connectors, extension cables. The AA series limits you much more. One of my favorite features of their Li-ION lights is the super-long runtimes, but the AA series appears to not last nearly as much. For the taillight, it's not that big of a deal, as it runs for a good long time even on the AA's.

I bought my headlights first, and took advantage of the AA taillight when they did a super-cheap fall special. I REALLY love this taillight. I do wish I had just bought an even bigger multi-light package the first time around, and included a Li-ION taillight then (you tend to get pretty hefty price breaks on their package deals). But now I may just buy a Li-ION taillight light-body (only) to go with the other headlights. Still no regrets about the AA taillight, though, as it's perfect for a "travel light" (standard AA's help with this) or for moving around to use on some of my other bikes that get ridden at night much less frequently.

Can you buy or build a system cheaper? Probably, especially as technology continues to march along. But I really feel the Dinotte's are high-quality products, and you get what you pay for.

Cheers!

d_douglas
01-21-2008, 03:03 PM
So, I am about to order this thing. I have more or less made my mind up that I will take the DiNotte 200lumen lamp using AA batteries. Nashbar has one for $160 that has an integrated taillamp for use on my helmet. I will most likely use it on my handlebar, but it seems like such a good idea that I might as well get teh taillight option as well.

Any other thoughts? The Nite Rider MiNewt seems great too, but there is something about the Di Notte that seems so good. AA batteries too.

So, the only downside is that the burn time is shorter, but most of my winter rides are commutes anyways.

DO you, the people of the Serotta forum, authorize my purchase?

jimcav
01-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Happy MLK day.
go for the 5w if you go over 25 mph much.

jim

dekindy
01-21-2008, 03:12 PM
http://gearreview.com/LEDs08_intro.php
http://gearreview.com/LEDs08_single_emitter.php

Read these reviews and if you are still not convinced then you never will be. Think seriously about the Li-ion battery version. The AA is a great choice also. You might check Dinotte's website and buy direct.

woolly
01-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Think twice about the integrated tail light option if you're going to put it on your handlebar. I haven't tried it myself, but a tail light shining right into your chest sounds annoying at best.

Ahneida Ride
01-21-2008, 04:57 PM
DiNotte is pretty much a no brainer ...
Really .... I would not Bull Sugar ....

Make sure to get the tail light also .... It is a life saver.....

I have the AA examples and they work just fine. Recharge easy and
last at least 6 hours.

However if I had the frnns, I would go with the Li version for the extended
run times.

The only really down side is where to mount the lights.
The tail light could be a issues if you use a saddlebag.
I attached my tail light to a rack mount using a reflector "C" clamp and
two small faucet washers.

Do Not attach the Tail Light to the handlebar !!!!!!!
It is much too bright. Also aim it down as so not to overwhelm drivers.

and YES it is that bright!!!!!

Birddog
01-21-2008, 08:30 PM
I have more or less made my mind up that I will take the DiNotte 200lumen lamp using AA batteries. Nashbar has one for $160 that has an integrated taillamp for use on my helmet.

Unless things have changed recently, the Nashbar offering is for an older model with less light output. Call DiNotte direct and talk to Rob before pulling the trigger.
http://www.dinottelighting.com/

Birddog

fiamme red
01-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Unless things have changed recently, the Nashbar offering is for an older model with less light output. Call DiNotte direct and talk to Rob before pulling the trigger.
http://www.dinottelighting.com/

Birddoghttp://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=60005282&sku=15430&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Brand%3A%20DiNotte

Looks like the new model.

Ahneida Ride
01-21-2008, 08:47 PM
I have the "Old" tail light and the "New" front amber running light ....

Let me assure you the "Old" model is bright enough.

Dinotte offered me a free upgrade to the "New" tail light engine.
I'll keep the old version. Yes ... it is that good ....

d_douglas
01-22-2008, 04:17 AM
I was wondering about that, but don't you have the option of turning the headlight beam on and the taillight beam off? Or turning both on at the same time when on a helmet? In the end, I am not as concerned about a cool rear light - I can buy a $10 one at a bike shop that is adequate...

This makes sense, but maybe it wasn't as sensible to the Di Notte folks. Yeah, I am buying a Di Notte using AA batteries.

Cheapest place to get them? Nashbar? I am going to have to have them shipped by two day delivery because a friend is bringing them from Chicago to Switzerland on Friday.

Ahneida Ride
01-22-2008, 11:43 AM
I can buy a $10 one at a bike shop that is adequate...

Not true my friend ...

after a DiNotte tail light .... nothing else will be adequate.

It is the difference between being seen and maybe/probably being seen.

fiamme red
01-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Not true my friend ...

after a DiNotte tail light .... nothing else will be adequate.

It is the difference between being seen and maybe/probably being seen.And don't use Continental tires, or your sidewalls will explode.

Ahneida Ride
01-22-2008, 12:05 PM
And don't use Continental tires, or your sidewalls will explode.

and above all ... Don't use fed reserve non notes. :)

after my colleague died from a front tire blow out .... I asked a friend to check her sidewalls. The threads were showing and they were Contis.