PDA

View Full Version : info on Giordana frame

va rider
08-06-2004, 08:22 AM
I bought a used Giordana Scorpius columbus SL lugged steel frame and fork on eBay. I am building it up into a second bike, mostly for commuting. I paid $150 for it, including delivery. The frame is a 58 X 57, which is a decent fit for me. I am building it up with spare parts that I had laying around (Shimano 8 speed).

Anybody know anything about Giordana frames? I can't find anything on-line, so I guess Girodana just rebadged somebody else's frames for a while in the late 80s early 90s. Did I just buy a very expensive paper weight? Did I get totally hosed?

Any info. would be appreciated.

eddief
08-06-2004, 10:15 AM
this shop still has Giordana frames in their inventory. I don't know who actually made them, but I'd say $150 for a nice lugged steel anything in good condition would not be too bad a deal. Especially if it fits. The bikyle folks could more than likely answer your questions.

Dr. Doofus
08-06-2004, 11:28 AM
Dear Giordana-Curious:

Giordana, is, of course, the daughter of Giorgio, the "mafioso mofo" of Gita in Charlotte. Your correspondent has been informed by various men who possess varying degrees of knowledge that the frames were 1) built by the same factory in Italy (that currently makes Coppis -- Masaliagachi or however one spells it) that did the Lemond frames and the low-to-midrange frames for many large-name Italian makers, and 2) built by Pinarello. Perhaps our Jerk knows which, if either, is true.

In any event, the are good, servicable frames. Your Doofus had one as a team bike in 1992, and they are fine. Not fantastic, but fine. Your Doofus is also of the understanding that if you are polite about putting cash into the right hands at Gita, you can get ahold of one of these frames from the backstock that occasionally clutters up their warehouse...as some vendors still advertise these for retail sale, however, such a Giordana-Grab (the frame, not the young lady) must be done discretely, however....

Your Humble Servant, But Not Your Savant,

Dr. D. Doofus, Esq.

eddief
08-06-2004, 02:53 PM
You sound as if you know of what you speak. When you say these frames were fine but not fantastic, how would you describe the difference between these two descriptors? Was the quality not great or the ride or what? Just curious. What happened to Excell Podium tubing?

va rider
08-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the info. doc and eddie.

That is about what I figured. The frame is good for a commuter/beater, but not really worthy of a repaint and a new grouppo, like centaur, veloce or 105. Sounds like I got a good deal as well.

Dr. Doofus
08-06-2004, 03:34 PM
Dear Eddie Who Flays:

Your slow servant made a muck of good fields on an XL-ECO frame -- oversized Excell Podium tubes. The ride quality was nice for a frame of that vintage, stiff with a nice touch of flex, and the handling was predictable and neutral. However the bike didn't have that special...something (cue Holy Grail soundtrack music that follows those words, please)...that made your Doofus excited about riding it...your Doctor's SLX Pinarello had it, whereas the Giordana didn't...the Pinarello seemed to have a more nuanced ride, if that makes any sense. The workmanship on the Giordana was, well, spotty -- but given that the frame retailed for 750.00 (Columbus EL frames were 900+ then), one didn't ask for too much. The bikes delivered on what Gita promised -- a good quality Italian frame at a reasonable price.

The geometry of the frame was less than ideal for your correspondent as well...which would go a long way towards explaining why he should prefer his CSi and custom Corsa 0.1.....

Your Humble Serpent,

Dr. D. Doofus, Esq.