PDA

View Full Version : 10s cassette compatibility

SleepyCyclist
01-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Running 10s campy. Friend gave me some shimano wheels (no cassette on it, otherwise I'd just try it). What works best: shimano, sram, one of the conversion cassettes...?

tia, M

staggerwing
01-04-2008, 06:22 AM
Supposedly, 9 speed will cross, without additional doodads, but 10 won't.

Beside the conversion cassette, there is also the Jtek Shiftmate. See this. (http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm)

MilanoTom
01-04-2008, 08:34 AM
I've done OK with American Classic conversion cassettes, although the sizes are limited and they don't work with all shimano wheels. The linked site has good information, and any LBS should be able to order them as well.

http://txcyclesport.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AM-CVS&Category_Code=

Regards.
Tom

Dave
01-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Running 10s campy. Friend gave me some shimano wheels (no cassette on it, otherwise I'd just try it). What works best: shimano, sram, one of the conversion cassettes...?

tia, M

If you want the proper cog spacing, then a converision cassette or J-tek shiftmate tocorrect the RD travel are the two best options, if the wheels are genuine Shimano. Mavic and many other hub brands offer cassette bodies to accept a Campy cassette.

Soemone will undoubtedly say that a Shimano cassette, will work fine, but the Campy RD will overshift by quite a bit. It takes careful centering of the RD and some tightening of the limit screws to get the best shifting.

As for the actual cog spacing, Shimano and SRAM are 3.95mm, Campy 10 is 4.12mm. Shimano 9 spacing is 4.32mm and no more compatible than the others, plus it's only got 9 cogs.

SleepyCyclist
01-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Think I'll go for an AC conversion and see how it goes.

M

J.Greene
01-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Think I'll go for an AC conversion and see how it goes.
M

I've done the ac cassette and the shiftmate. The shiftmate is the much better solution. I have it on two bikes at the moment.

JG

SleepyCyclist
01-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Don't think the shiftmate would work for me though - I'm running campy wheels and just have some spare shimano ones which will get occ use. Seems AC conversion is the way to go in my scenario.

M