PDA

View Full Version : Ritchey Wheels: Opinions Please

duke
01-03-2008, 04:13 PM
I am seeing good prices for Ritchey WCS Protocol wheelsets. I am a fan of Ritchey products but have not had much experience with the wheels. Any opinions, comments, experiences, etc. on these wheels would be appreciated.
Thanks,
duke

stevep
01-03-2008, 04:24 PM
metza metz.

get mavic, bontrager, dt

Chris
01-03-2008, 04:30 PM
+1
There are lots of thing Ritchey does right. Wheels ain't two of em.

rphetteplace
01-03-2008, 05:29 PM
I did happen to see that Bens Cycle is blowing them out. You might want to give them a call.

shinomaster
01-03-2008, 06:25 PM
I just read in Velonews a while back that they tested the Protocol wheels for awhile with no issues. The new ones are completely different than the old junky ones.

pbel
01-03-2008, 06:54 PM
I have a set from a about 3 years ago and I raced on them for a year. I had no problems with them. They are really light, but have gotten pretty noisy and I'm not quite sure what it is. I don't ride them much anymore.

I had to send the rear one back for recall 2 years ago to fix a problem with engagement. If you get an older set, double check to make sure they aren't on the recall list.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05241.html

torquer
01-04-2008, 10:01 AM
I bought a pair (not WCS Protocols) for cheap a while back, and pretty much got what I paid for. They seemed to go pretty good at speed, but weighed a ton.

The issues I had were that when the poorly sealed bearings on the rear needed to be replaced the shop charged me a bunch. (I stopped riding the wheels in the wet afterwards.) And when a bladed spoke broke my LBS (different one) could only get replacements by buying a bunch. Maybe these were both shop issues, rather than Ritchey issues, but both shops have been pretty good in my other transactions with them.

duke
01-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Looks like, as with most things in life, you get what you pay for.
duke

Fixed
01-04-2008, 11:08 AM
-1 imho