PDA

View Full Version : Jan Ullrich's hawking Carbon frames

William
01-03-2008, 03:11 PM
So do we have any forumites who have ridden an Ullrich?

Three offerings:

Alum/Carbon - custom sizeing
Carbon - no custom
Carbon - Custom sizeing

Usual marketing spiel on the web page.

Left me a little un-inspired, but I'm a dolt so don't take my word for it.

JAN (http://www.janullrich-bikes.de/index.php?page=0)

William :)

brians647
01-03-2008, 03:18 PM
where's the english version? Are they banking on only Germans buying the bikes?

brians647
01-03-2008, 03:18 PM

Whoops! Forget that! Found it. Geez...

LeMond had a great name leaving the sport, so I can see the market there, as well as some other smaller builders...

Jan Ullrich?

labratmatt
01-03-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw something about these bikes a year or two ago on cyclingnews.com. Anyone else remember that?

Fixed
01-03-2008, 03:29 PM
es ist gut
imho cheers

Bill Bove
01-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Are those bottle bosses on the downtube or syringe holders :confused:

t. swartz
01-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Are those bottle bosses on the downtube or syringe holders :confused:
ja, ja!

David Kirk
01-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Do they come with a pie?

Dave

http://web.mit.edu/mollieb/Public/Pictures/Senior%20Year/June/pie.jpg

andy mac
01-03-2008, 05:37 PM
you can pick your own frame artwork...

soulspinner
01-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Do they come with a pie?

Dave

Only laxatives just before the tour..... :D

BumbleBeeDave
01-03-2008, 07:51 PM
I'll skip the obvious jokes--and there are MANY! He must know that his name is lower than dirt in cycling circles. He can't be THIS out of touch, can he? Who on earth would he find that would supply the venture capital for this? Someone looking for an incredibly huge tax write-off? I know that there must be lead time for putting together a venture like this, but enough so that the whole thing was already too far along to stop before he got busted? I'm sure they're good bikes, but . . . ***?

BBD

3chordwonder
01-03-2008, 08:02 PM
I'll bet that just as there are plenty of US fans left for Tyler, there's plenty of German fans left for Jan - maybe enough for the backers to have punted on continuing the venture, hoping to get some $ back or maybe even a profit, instead of taking a certain loss by ditching it altogether.

Grant McLean
01-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Who on earth would he find that would supply the venture capital for this?

BBD

maybe a large STREUSEL TOPPED CHOCOLATE PIE conglomerate?

-g

BumbleBeeDave
01-03-2008, 08:57 PM
um, some Germans?
he's a hero there.

-g

. . . even after all that's come out? Go figure . . .

BBD

swoop
01-03-2008, 08:59 PM

BBD

people buy treks.
love him or hate him, moralize or not... jan was a beauty on a bike.

Grant McLean
01-03-2008, 08:59 PM

BBD

He's the hometown boy. go figure.

:banana:

-g

BumbleBeeDave
01-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Has he actually been convicted of anything, either by WADA or anybody else yet?

BBD

swoop
01-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Has he actually been convicted of anything, either by WADA or anybody else yet?

BBD

this is about convictions? is it about failed tests, or do you not have a grasp of this sport? you're telling me you wouldn't ride a merckx?
you know.. the tests have nothing to do with the doping ... people give neg tests.

you think there isn't politics involved too?

buy a bike for any reason... or don't buy one for any reason.. i'm just saying isolating one dude that is no different than the entire sport is silly.

jan never failed a test. he's like lance that way. would you not ride a parlee because they hooked up tyler?

Grant McLean
01-03-2008, 09:10 PM
. . . even after all that's come out?
BBD

(hey, i was typing when you guys already went ahead
and beat me to it!!! :) )

not to get all serious or anything, but Dave...
aren't you the guy calling for legal "process"?

What has Jan been found guilty of?
The Spanish court has filed no charges against him,
please tell me on what basis Jan should be excluded
from having a life?

-g

duke
01-03-2008, 09:18 PM
If they are all doing it, what makes one any different from any one else?
Do we really think anyone was clean?
Merckx was in the "club" twenty five years ago and he sells tons of bikes.
Trek is still using Armstrong as their man. If they all raced clean Armstrong and Ullrich would still be one and two.
duke

BumbleBeeDave
01-03-2008, 09:19 PM
(hey, i was typing when you guys already went ahead
and beat me to it!!! :) )

not to get all serious or anything, but Dave...
aren't you the guy calling for legal "process"?

What has Jan been found guilty of?
The Spanish court has filed no charges against him,
please tell me on what basis Jan should be excluded
from having a life?

-g

I'm just going on what I read in the cycling press. No pretensions of great knowledge here. I just thought his name was dirt in cycling nowadays. But I can see how he would still have his supporters. I was just thinking that if I had millions of bucks to put into a new line of bikes, I would want to find somebody's name to put on the downtube who would have a higher approval rating right about now than Der Kaiser seems to.

BBD

BBB
01-03-2008, 10:06 PM
The bikes were launched in May 2006 - before being ejected from the 06 Tour. See below:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2006/features/ullrich_bikes

DarrenCT
01-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Do they come with a pie?

Dave

PM sent.

DarrenCT
01-03-2008, 10:10 PM
same carbon shiet

different paint job

vaxn8r
01-03-2008, 10:17 PM
same carbon shiet

different paint job
Yeah I don't get this comment. I mean, I hear it a lot, but I don't get it.

Same steel shiet, different paint job. Same ti shiet, different paint job.

Have you ridden one?

Why do carbon bikes make people so angry?

Frank
01-03-2008, 10:40 PM

The presently most successful and best known German cyclist is Jan Ullrich and can look back on a long, extraordinary career. It would like to transmit this experience and its passion for the wheel sport now at all enthused cyclists. In collaboration with the former racers Tobias stone houses and Rolf way gene man, Jan Ullrich assembled a special frame collection. Above all in the design, Jans ideas were realized and carries everyone the frames so unambiguously its handwriting.

For Jan, wheel sport speed, passion is and elegance - and exactly that is true also of its new racing bikes.

3 frames stand consists to the selection the Jan-Ullrich-collection of three frame models, that are conceived for different target groups - of the ambitious leisure time athlete to the pro - and consider the respective needs. All is joint that they price itself through a high technology level and achievement level and offer therefore special handling characteristics. Every frame is made in Italy careful of hand. In the production, only most modern materials to the use come.

Personality above all personality largely is written in Jan Ullrich: Two of the three models are available only as an individual Maßanfertigung. Both frames can be adapted millimeter exact on the body mass of the customer. Equal whether comfort, sportingly, Race or special for ladies - for the respective use, different frame geometries can be made. So a frame, that is voted exactly on the method and mass of the owner, emerges. The Jan-Ullrich-frames stand therefore for Maßanfertigung, Italian frame architecture and European quality.

The Jan-Ullrich-frames offer not only paramount technology, but rather also something for the eye: Discreet, unmistakable design elements and different varnishes join themselves to a timeless and aesthetic design, that prices itself above all through dear to the detail. The total frame is varnished carefully of hand. Name givers were Jans largest successes: "Campione", "mount Olympus" and "Grand tour".

The new Jan-Ullrich-frames are over the chosen specialty shop or the Jan-Ullrich-wheels per-Shop in bath Saulgau available.

Longdaddy
01-04-2008, 01:17 AM
Palmeres, or however you spell it...

Not too impressive, overall. I mean, what has he really done since....2001.
Tour de Switzerland...by 1 sec, in 2006.

And for the site to say : " A 19 yr old from nowhere wins the World Road Champs (U23)" Hmmm, from nowhere...wonder how that happened.

And to think I was rooting for him in the 2003 Tour.

slowgoing
01-04-2008, 01:26 AM
but/for genetic freak LA coming along at the same time, Ulrich would have won a few more TdFs. Not bad.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd be interested in trying a frame that Ulrich thought was good enough to put his name on.

William
01-04-2008, 04:07 AM

BBD

Dude,

I've got one word for you........Hasselhoff. Need I say more?

William

lincolnsydney
01-04-2008, 05:09 AM
These bikes were released before he retired and before the last of his dug scandals. They're also Deddaccai standard carbon frames with a different sticker on it, as I recall.

I think they should come with a rear rack pizza box, myself. :)

BumbleBeeDave
01-04-2008, 06:33 AM
These bikes were released before he retired and before the last of his dug scandals. They're also Deddaccai standard carbon frames with a different sticker on it, as I recall.

I think they should come with a rear rack pizza box, myself. :)

. . . so in other words, the investors are stuck with trying to make it work as best they can cuz' they have a whole warehouse full of bikes already.

BBD

PS . . . I'll take pepperoni, mushrooms, and broccoli on that pizza . . .

TimD
01-04-2008, 06:46 AM
The man's got to make a living. Something wrong with that? No likee, no buyee. Just like Shimano or Trek or Cannondale or <insert least-favorite brand here>.

Out.

michael white
01-04-2008, 07:35 AM
I always loved Jan. LA had the greatest team of all time, but Jan and only Jan could put him to the test. I thought he rode with a lot of heart. The bikes look like standard go-fast bikes.

manet
01-04-2008, 08:03 AM
i like jan

don'TreadOnMe
01-04-2008, 08:12 AM
I'd buy one.
I still watch the '97 tour.

lincolnsydney
01-04-2008, 08:13 AM
I don't believe he actually makes anything of note off of them anyway, according to the cyclingnews article. Looks like it's this bike with different stickers: http://www.emmezetasnc.com/inglese/frames.html